SW9

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Doublethink

Uttox83 wrote: Would be a certain winner with park guests! Something along the line of journey to atlantis at universal or a drop along the lines of dudley do right ripsaw falls would be epic! If they themed it aswell as Wickerman it would be worthy of the title SW.. Would be the fist water based SW aswell so another first for the park. I think another water ride is a must! . 
I hope if Merlin learn one thing from Wicker Man it's that a SW does not need to be a world's first to be a successful ride. Nemesis wasn't, Wicker Man wasn't and they are both spectacular. I think a water coaster could be a massive hit and doesn't need a world's first gimmick to do so.
AltonOperator

In my (unpopular) opinion I would not like to see a water coaster as a secret weapon. I do agree that we need more water rides but I don't want a major attraction where you get wet purely because of the temperamental weather in the UK. I feel minor water rides like CRR and The flume :( are/were more appropriate because you only have to ride when it is nice weather and when its not you don't feel like you've missed them. If SW9 was a water coaster or similar I'd feel like I had to ride it because its one of the major attractions and I'd come away feeling like my day wasn't complete. I think they need to build a ride that is reliable and will be popular all the time
Thanks Jack
Wagstaff04

Doublethink wrote:
Uttox83 wrote: Would be a certain winner with park guests! Something along the line of journey to atlantis at universal or a drop along the lines of dudley do right ripsaw falls would be epic! If they themed it aswell as Wickerman it would be worthy of the title SW.. Would be the fist water based SW aswell so another first for the park. I think another water ride is a must! . 
I hope if Merlin learn one thing from Wicker Man it's that a SW does not need to be a world's first to be a successful ride. Nemesis wasn't, Wicker Man wasn't and they are both spectacular.  I think a water coaster could be a massive hit and doesn't need a world's first gimmick to do so.
If you want to get specific, Nemesis was the world’s first Inverted Coaster with a Zero-G roll, but you’re right. 
Uttox83

Wagstaff04 wrote:
Doublethink wrote:
I hope if Merlin learn one thing from Wicker Man it's that a SW does not need to be a world's first to be a successful ride. Nemesis wasn't, Wicker Man wasn't and they are both spectacular.  I think a water coaster could be a massive hit and doesn't need a world's first gimmick to do so.
If you want to get specific, Nemesis was the world’s first Inverted Coaster with a Zero-G roll, but you’re right. 
Good shout Wagstaff04 
Has there ever actually been anything set in stone that a SW has to have a world first element? I always got the impression that SW was just carried on after the first ride was called secret weapon and it is just code for the new ride to keep the name under wraps until release.. Personally, i think AT should have shelved the SW tag when JW retired in honor of the great man.
AltonOperator

Uttox83 wrote:Good shout Wagstaff04 
Has there ever actually been anything set in stone that a SW has to have a world first element? I always got the impression that SW was just carried on after the first ride was called secret weapon and it is just code for the new ride to keep the name under wraps until release.. Personally, i think AT should have shelved the SW tag when JW retired in honor of the great man.
No the world's first things are connected to marketing not the secret weapons. It doesn't matter if Nemesis actually was a record breaker if they didn't market it. Records are a thing that merlin uses all the time because they believe it gives and edge when convincing people the attraction is good. Nick Varney has said that if they can't market something they won't build it. Also, Galactica was a world's first but wasn't really a secret weapon so they're not necessarily correlated.
Thanks Jack
Ryan.B

Could they build a water coaster as a family coaster, but not as a SW? I feel the layouts are very restrictive at the moment, and if it was a secret weapon they could somehow incorporate an option where you don't get wet? (Turn water apart from mid may-end of august)? If i was to throw a bet I'd guess a launched wing rider in a smallish pit for the tall  element and then  very low lying (focusing on rolls. a roll going under a small bunny hop would be very cool. 
Cobby

I'd love to see a new gen Mack Spinner like time traveller or Cobra's Curse for SW9 as it could be well themed and the through put would be insane. You could mix this with decent theming plus a bit of a dark ride section perhaps and think they could be onto a winner. This could also help to fit the gap for this kind of ride if/when spinball eventually goes as well as adding another launch coaster, however I'm unsure whereabouts in the park it could fit. One thing I noticed about Icon is also how quiet the trains are which is something that could work in favour of Towers. The other option I'd like to see is a Mack Multi Launch however this is unlikely as Pleasure Beach has Icon and towers wouldn't want something similar.  
Bert

Thinking about it I’d be happy if we got something which is a mix of Time Traveller and Cobra’s Curse at Towers, it would be something like Wicker Man which blends the line between family and thrill coaster with spinners being known for not being overly intense and Mack’s low height restrictions.

In terms of theme of course we will be looking at some dark theme but something which is interesting and won’t scare off families like a Day of the Dead or Ragnorok style theme.

But now I’m daydreaming...
[Insert Signature Here]
nicky.borrill

I’d like to see the 2020 “big investment” be a heavily themed dark ride or water ride. The park is lacking in these areas now

As for the next SW, I know BPB have Icon, but I think this style of ride is so well suited to towers, given the elements that can be added with relatively little height, they’re fun, exciting, comfortable and I would love one at Towers. Perhaps a triple launch, bit of oneupmanship (as well as increased capacity possibly with a mid course block break before one of the launches.) 
Bert

Merlin operates RTP’s on a four year CAPEX cycle, SW8 was marked for 2017 before being delayed so SW9 is expected 2021/2022 time.
[Insert Signature Here]
Black Hole

A few people have mentioned replacing Rita with a multi launch coaster - I think this is the best idea. I really don't like how you feel penned in in that area. It should be opened up and removing Rita and having a new coaster entrance at the other side would make good use of the space. A multi launch through the trees would be good. A couple of flats and extra theming for the 13 outdoor section also - bit greedy but I think that area is in need of a spruce up.
Rita88

I’ve hear but honestly can’t remember where that dark forest is getting extended with the addition of the dungeons in 2019 so that he’s will now be part of that themed area and that cloud cuckoo land will be replaced with sw9 to tie into that area. Although despite the fact that wicker man is technically in mutiny bay it doesn’t really fit into that theme so who knows I think it will be in the dark forest area unless they plan to rip out the rapids now there are no water falls etc and put sw9 in the catanga canyon area?
Nickolai

I reckon it could either replace Rita, go on the 'Air car park' or maybe on the old Coaster Corner site. I reckon that the most likely option out of the three would be the Air car park but that is just my opinion.
Formally Smiler313
PhNx Survivor

Rita is finished, it is a very boring ride now compared to what’s about now, it was good at the time but now irrelevant. A Mack Multi Launch would be a very wise idea as Mack are getting such good reviews with their coasters.

However, I do not believe Coaster corner will be used as it’s just a junk yard basically.. Merlin don’t work like that as we already know. So my proposal is that a flat ride will be added to Ripsaw’s old site, and The Blade will be removed. This then can provide a suitable station for a new coaster, ideally a coaster that is fast, but low to the ground, i.e. RMC. Tunnel to the skyride station where you can look down to the gardens, is a suitable exit for a coaster tunnel in which then coaster then traverses through that section of the gardens, low to the ground, and maintaining a good speed, can be easily brought back to the station through another tunnel. I understand landscaping could be a problem with the shops and walkways, however I don’t see any other room for a coaster unless a ride is removed
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Coaster Chall

I am predicting a galaxy themed indoor water coaster (Galactic themed Valhalla) but including a worlds first or a world record element. Like Worlds Tallest Water Coaster or the only inversion on a water coaster. Maybe called Galaxi or Cosmos (sci fi themed)
Htjc_

I think that would take a page from Galactica though. I think, with it being Merlin, they'll either play it safe with a pirate theme or go for a dark apocalyptic theme. Would like to see something new though.
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
seanyboyuk

I think SW9 will be another coaster but I think they need to change direction and add a water ride or dark ride with a good theme.
Justin

I cant see it being a water ride where guests have a chance of getting wet, but I am confident it will be a coaster. Thorpe proved that dark rides investments don't work as replacements for coasters. These should be in addition to and not instead of!
Mikw

Bound to be a coaster of some kind, if it's an "SW"
Coaster Chall

Yeah, if anything I'm sure that AT will do a good job.