SW9

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Stan.H

Although this may be very early in advance, but I just thought we should get some ideas together to think what type of roller-coaster/dark ride/water we get... And also what we think AT need once SW8 is officialy announced...
dazza4783

I would say the next big investment (in terms of rides) after SW8 will be a large indoor water ride, along the lines of Valhalla, possibly to replace duel. We know that the flume is due to be removed soon and the space where it is now could be better utilised as a site for a new coaster rather than a replacement flume/water ride.
Stan.H

I agree with you, although personally I'd like some kind of world-first (as AT seem to love them) water coaster.
Emporium wrote:I agree with you, although personally I'd like some kind of world-first (as AT seem to love them) water coaster
It could launch or something, or have an interactive element or even inversions!! (If that's possible!!)
Last edited by lewis97 on Mon May 11, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double posts
Dan

If Merlin stick to their 4-year cycle we wont see SW9 until 2021.

The LTDP suggested the removal of Blade, Ripsaw, The Flume and the removal/relocation of Sonic Spinball. Given what we know about SW8 it's highly likely that this season will be the last for both Ripsaw & The Blade. It would also make sense for Spinball to be removed to make way for another CBeebies Land expansion.

I'm not sure that Merlin would remove The Flume without having a modern-day replacement for it. It's extremely rare nowadays that you find a theme park without a log flume style attraction, although whether a Flume replacement would be classed as a SW is another thing.

What would I like to see? I would love a Mack Megacoaster at Alton, possibly in Dark Forest to replace Rita and bringing with it a retheme for the area.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Dan.N wrote:If Merlin stick to their 4-year cycle we wont see SW9 until 2021.
Nick Varney confirmed that Towers will get another major investment in 2020, although this doesn't necessarily mean it will be SW9.
Dan

lewis97 wrote:Nick Varney confirmed that Towers will get another major investment in 2020, although this doesn't necessarily mean it will be SW9.
Oh I wasn't aware of that, thanks Lewis :)
Stan.H

Dan.N wrote:If Merlin stick to their 4-year cycle we wont see SW9 until 2021.

The LTDP suggested the removal of Blade, Ripsaw, The Flume and the removal/relocation of Sonic Spinball. Given what we know about SW8 it's highly likely that this season will be the last for both Ripsaw & The Blade. It would also make sense for Spinball to be removed to make way for another CBeebies Land expansion.

I'm not sure that Merlin would remove The Flume without having a modern-day replacement for it. It's extremely rare nowadays that you find a theme park without a log flume style attraction, although whether a Flume replacement would be classed as a SW is another thing.

What would I like to see? I would love a Mack Megacoaster at Alton, possibly in Dark Forest to replace Rita and bringing with it a retheme for the area.
They should add a flume style ride to sonics existing spot, put spinball in katanga canyon (if it was rethemed) or Clud cuckoo land). Get a mack launched coaster to replace rita & a mack water coaster in flume site.
Alex

When Spinball is finally removed they cant replace it with something the same size, in the LTDP it states they wont build over 25ft so a flume ride there would be highly unlikely. I can see them extending Cbeebies land into that area though.
Stan.H

Alex wrote:When Spinball is finally removed they cant replace it with something the same size, in the LTDP it states they wont build over 25ft so a flume ride there would be highly unlikely. I can see them extending Cbeebies land into that area though.
What do you think will go into cbeebeies land next then? I'm not sure about it myself, also what bbc ip would it be... you never know, they might use cbbc in that area as well.
TheBeast

Dan.N wrote: I'm not sure that Merlin would remove The Flume without having a modern-day replacement for it. It's extremely rare nowadays that you find a theme park without a log flume style attraction, although whether a Flume replacement would be classed as a SW is another thing.
Well said. I think they may break the 4-year cycle for when the new development plan comes out. Im in agreement with the extension of Cbeebies Land though, as I don't think Spinball is adding anything to the park. We will have to see about the new SW to check the type, but I expect something new for X-Sector again tbh, they can have all of their major rides at opposite ends of the park to disperse the people through the minor rides to reduce queues better
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Apart from some sort of flat ride on Submission's old site, I can't see another major ride, such as SW9, going into X-Sector.
Stan.H

TheBeast wrote:
Dan.N wrote: I'm not sure that Merlin would remove The Flume without having a modern-day replacement for it. It's extremely rare nowadays that you find a theme park without a log flume style attraction, although whether a Flume replacement would be classed as a SW is another thing.
Well said. I think they may break the 4-year cycle for when the new development plan comes out. Im in agreement with the extension of Cbeebies Land though, as I don't think Spinball is adding anything to the park. We will have to see about the new SW to check the type, but I expect something new for X-Sector again tbh, they can have all of their major rides at opposite ends of the park to disperse the people through the minor rides to reduce queues better
Yes, but Sonic Spiball is still up there in the queue length (up there with Smiler, Th13teen & Rita). As it is either A.) Really Popular or B.) Bad Capacity or C.) One Of The First Rides In The Park. So that is why I think there is a slight posibility that they will move it in a different section of the park. But without a doubt I'd imagine that they will vastly improve and extend to Cbeebeis land (Maybe CBBC as well). All in all though, I won't miss Sonic if it goes as the queues put me of, and Drangons Fury is 100 times better!
definedancing

I just want to add my two cents on Sonic Spinball as it is a ride I work on, and I enjoy doing so very much. I obviously cannot discuss anything about its future, however I will say this; Spinball has its queues because of its fairly poor throughput and close proximity to the entrance rather than necessarily its popularity. It gets busy up until lunch time and then it'll be dead until the end of the day when it'll pick up again. It is a popular ride amongst families though, which us why I think it'll be a shame for it to go, but it isn't the go to ride for most guests like I guess the big six are.
Aidan Lowe

I for one enjoy Spinball more than Th13teen, Rita & Air. But the area no doubt will be developed with a further extension to Cbeebies being a front runner for the space.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Sr88

Being totally honest, we aren't ready for a SW9 topic yet. We still know hardly anything about SW8, and the conversation on that is already repeating itself for the 7458th time. Do we really need another one here?
Stan.H

Sr88 wrote:Being totally honest, we aren't ready for a SW9 topic yet. We still know hardly anything about SW8, and the conversation on that is already repeating itself for the 7458th time. Do we really need another one here?
Yes! :P
Adam.W

I can see something competing with The Swarm, so a 4D coaster. Once they said that they'd consider a 4d, and we expected one for SW8 but never got one. Maybe they were waiting for the technology to develop to minimise downtime in future, so my say is a 4D coaster.

(200th post :D)
Stan.H

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a 4D coaster as they have those at many other Merlin theme parks! :D
MerlinFan

What's the definition of a 4D coaster?
Adam.W

A 4D coaster is basicly a winged coaster, but the carts/seats on the side are moving (controlled) so you could do flips while the track goes in a straight line. Another thing worth noting is that positions like diving and such are able, so it's also possible for a similar ride like air. There really is no knowing what one can be like basing off the track.

Hope this helped :P