SW9

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
TheBeornen

Are there any B&M coasters that are either in prototype or are at other parks that could work well at AT?
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
MillForceMike

Unfortunately no. But I think they could use a wing coaster.
Phild94

MillForceMike wrote:Unfortunately no. But I think they could use a wing coaster.
The biggest issue with a wing coaster is the amount of space necessary for it to be built.

Currently the only space large enough for an investment like this is the Air Car Park, which still has stringent height regulations. I doubt they would want to put a coaster which makes you feel like you’re flying next to a coaster which makes you feel like you’re flying.
TheBeornen

There are obviously quite a few things stopping this but I would love to see the Katanga Kanyon B&M revisited. The previous plans were for a standup but I think they would probably go for a sit down as stand ups aren't very popular now. 

I would love to see a high thrill Kumba style ride with lovely themeing and hopefully with the big hole originaally mentioned like a volcano.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
WallisDan

I would like to see a Mack launched spinning coaster like time traveller in the future. Think it would suit towers too
Justin

Spinball would have to go for that to happen.
I could see them going for a new launch coaster with Helix and Tarron being used for inspiration. If Rita was to go then I could see it in Dark Forest, although I would like to see something new in Forbidden Valley.
Robert.W

I actually think a coaster along the lines of Time Traveler would work really well at Towers, and let's face it, Spinballs not gonna be around forever, so they may as well get something to fill that gap, but just spruce it up a little. The area towards the back of the valley where the cross valley woodie was originally planned to go would be a cool location as well, though I doubt they'd build there any time soon sadly. 

Phild94

I think a great option for placing SW9 would be to remove Rita and use the existing space but launching towards the skyride station, possibly interacting with Th13teen either amongst the current supports or around the largely unused central space.

A Multi-Launch airtime coaster would be great but once again it the height limit which will be most difficult
Bert

With spinning coasters, some people love them whilst others hate them. 

In Creating My Own Nemesis, He talks about how MMM were looking at different types of ride variation for SW7. Mack's Extreme Spinner concept offers Big Dipper style trains (floorless) or Spinning trains. Something like a ride which riders could choose how a ride would be a cool concept imo. 
[Insert Signature Here]
theparklifekid

I'm kinda hoping for a Multi-Launch Intamin Blitz coaster (Taron/Cheetah Hunt). As Icon is about to open, people are going to be saying Icons better due to its quick layout and 2 launches. An Intamin Blitz is different enough from a Mack Launched coaster, while still being similar (e.g. with twisty layouts, but launches are more intense), also Alton could use this as an opportunity to make it a triple launch (or even "world's first quadruple launch coaster") to make it more appealing for the general public than Icon.

Also then they could remove Rita like Liseberg did with Kanonen after Helix opened.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
WallisDan

Where's the most likely location and manufacturer for SW9
Tom170499

WallisDan wrote:Where's the most likely location and manufacturer for SW9
The park themselves don’t even know this yet as there has been no development started at all. They said they have plans for 2019 and then they will start SW9 after that so at this time, it could be anything. Obviously we won’t be getting a B&M hyper or an Intamin giga but any realistic options are all viable.
Justin

I expect Alton would have begun pelinery planning with mood boards etc. Although, this would be in the very early stages.

2019 would be an ideal time to research and ride some similar rides, along with early talks with manufacturers. I expect 2020 will see plans early plans developed with the proposal being submitted to Merlin for approval. Planning permission is likely around then too with 2021 seeing construction, if the ride is planned for a 2022 opening.
Rita88

I doubt they will do a winged coaster as Thorpe park just got one and Alton seem to get the latest and try for "first in UK"
Tom170499

Rita88 wrote:I doubt they will do a winged coaster as Thorpe park just got one and Alton seem to get the latest and try for "first in UK"
The Swarm opened 6 years ago, so this wouldn’t be the reason why they wouldn’t go for a wing coaster. The reason would be more the large footprint a wing coaster needs in terms of height to be efficient. Unless of course they went for a launched wing coaster along the lines of Thunderbird, or the Intamin equivalent like Furious Baco. They could market it as the UK’s first launched wing coaster then.
Wolverine0492

I think some sort of ride with water will be next. Would there be enough room in Forbidden Valley for one? But then it would have 3 bigish rides.
Phild94

Seeing as Spinball’s removal was in the LTDP of Towers I think it would be a great opportunity to put a large scale indoor dark ride on this side of the park, providing the outside wasnt garish it could prove to be a great family attraction.

Something similar to Crushes Coaster at DLP or potentially Valhalla at BPB OR a combination of the 2, an indoor watercoaster!
abigsmurf

Wouldn't really make much sense to replace a spinning coaster with another more expensive spinning coaster.

That said, I'd love an FX coaster of the style of Gringotts or (if rumours are correct) the Guardians of the Galaxy ride which have spinning elements.
Robert.W

Why would it not make much sense to replace a spinning coaster with an even better spinning coaster? 

As long as a new ride is marketable, and is done to a good standard, their isn't any reason why another spinning coaster couldn't be built after Spinball is gone. I think something like Time Traveller at Silver Dollar City couldn't work really well. You'd be replacing a standard Maurer spinner with a Mack launched spinner — so I'd say that's a pretty marketable upgrade. And then, as we've seen with Wicker Man, theming can really make the coaster something unique.

Scarlyboo22

I think there should be a new inventive water ride. Now The Flume has gone I feel that AT is lacking in this area. It could be like StormForce 10 in size, I don’t know where it could be placed though?