SW9

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Robert.W

All I'm saying is that if Merlin want to expand Katanga Canyon and / or Gloomy Wood, they'll need to be very careful about it. Katanga Canyon and Gloomy Wood just "work" if you get what I mean.. they're Towers classics and are two of the best themed areas at the park. Whatever they might want to add must be extensively themed (more so than Wicker Man) for it to properly fit in with the aesthetics of Katanga Canyon / Gloomy Wood.

A Derren Brown's Ghost Train style attraction for Towers? Absolutely not. Merlin might not want to publically admit it, but that ride is ultimately a failure and it's technology is certainly not coming to Towers any time soon, especially as Galactica has also failed miserably, yet they were stupid enough to rebrand the entire ride so now they can't get rid of it! 

Justin

Interesting fact time, a DBGT style attraction was originally considered for Alton Towers, although it was considered that Thorpe was the best place for it at the time.
Swarm Chris

Well if they want a low investment year, I'm sure we could ship the one from Thorpe up to them... :P

I wonder if Alton will ever invest in a modern dark ride system. Symbolica at Eftelling showed someone other than Disney and Universal could make a high quality modern dark ride and have it maintain long queues. Maus au Chocolat at Phantasialand did the same thing for the modern interactive dark ride.

Another thing lacking from Alton are simulator type rides. The Soarin' style ride system is now available to anyone and also usually attract long queues.
Dungeon-X-Smile

I think DBGT might have scared away Merlin from trying any simulator rides any time soon, which is sad but makes sense. DBGT is kind of a failure, and even though it would be awesome for a dark ride rollercoaster hybrid to be SW9, I think the fear and recent loss of money will keep them from it. Maybe Wicker Man will lead the way to more story lead attractions, but I don't think it will lead to a simulator, because that appears to be too much. 
Bert

DBGT failed because it had no clear direction on what they were doing with it. They still are changing it around now. 

SW9 will most likely be a coaster because of Merlin's past track of dark rides in the past. Gruffallo only saw 1.3% attendance increase, DBGT did nothing to attendance despite spending £30 mill+, Ghostbusters saw Heide's attendance drop 3.9% (Although it won't be the reason for the drop, it didn't help prevent the drop). The General Public see roller coasters as the most interesting. 

But of course there's always a chance of a coaster having dark ride/simulator style elements to them, See how the GotG at Epcot or Fly at Phantsialand are going to work, Loads of potential there.
[Insert Signature Here]
huntman40

I think AT need to do something with the back area of the park.

The kids area has pretty much moved to the front gate and "Cloud Cuckoo Land" is stuffed at the back with dwindling attractions. The area is close to the nearby villages but not much closer than Dark Forest.  AT is now seriously lacking water rides and dark rides.... (Real shame The Flume is gone)

I think they should consider another water ride at the back or another indoor dark coaster...(Black Hole we miss you!!!!)
JayTricky

Having visited the park the other day for the first time in a while, it's quite clear the park is missing another water ride and a few dark rides. Hex is still brilliant and Duel is fun, but it feels like there is something missing in the line up.
The first thing that comes to mind for me is Valhalla. I would just love a ride of that type in the park. It is both a dark ride and a water ride and is fantastically themed. How great would it be if we had an original theme, possibly located between Gloomy Wood & Forbidden Valley - something that would give a whole new lease of life to the park.
WickerManSmiler

Alton Towers has just opened an outstanding woodie with some of the best theming in the UK; but the big question is, what will be the next secret weapon at Alton Towers and when could it possibly be built.

They could get rid of Rita and put in an Intamin Blitz coaster that could feature 3 launches and then take the UK record from Icon at Pleasure Beach? Could it be an Intamin accelerator, a RMC Raptor, a retrack of oblivion adding inversions or a new type of rollercoaster?

Many people think it should be for the 40th anniversary of the park being open and possibly will be the removal of either Rita or Spinball Whizzer? Thoughts?
jackf1tz

It almost definitely won't be in 2020, that's only 2 years after Wicker Man. Major coasters are opened roughly every 4 years ('94, '98, '02, '06 '10, '13, '18) so logic would dictate that the next major coaster will arrive in 2022. I'd argue that this will be a thrill coaster as it will be 9 years after the previous thrill coaster, The Smiler. It won't be an Intamin Accelerator (they wouldn't replace a ride with the exact same ride type) but a blitz coaster is a good shout. As for the Oblivion retrack, as has been mentioned on this, and other forums countless times, it's not going to happen. Oblivion is fine as it is. I'd say instead of a raptor they would go for a T-Rex as they could market it as a world first.
Robert.W

I agree with your logic Jack. Although, considering SW8 was originally planned to be for 2017 (delayed due to The Smiler crash, I think), I guess there is a slim possibility of the next SW coming in 2021, even if it's more than likely going to be 2022.

I actually think it's possible that Alton might go for an RMC of some sort for their next coaster – not as a retrack of anything that already exists though. An RMC T-Rex would be an interesting choice...

If I was to hazard a guess at the three most likely manufacturers for the next SW coaster, my predictions would be (and not in any particular order)...

• B&M
• Mack
• RMC

PhNx Survivor

Wasn’t there’s plans/discussion at one point for a roller coaster to feature parts of its track going into the gardens a little bit hugging the ground?

Think it was for Forbidden Valley but can’t remember off the top of my head.

I seriously hope the next installment is either a Mack ride to replace Rita, utilising the old BoneShaker, and Ug Swinger area, or a RMC raptor to replace Spinball Whizzer.. as both coasters.. in all honesty, have done their time, and forfilled their purpose for their time of construction.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Swarm Chris

I think 2022/23 will be the earliest. All of the UK parks seem to have had their development schedules pushed back.
Dan

Having ridden Icon, I believe a Mack multi-launch coaster on the Rita site would be the best option for SW9.

I’m not sure how much of the woodland adjacent to Dark Forest they would be able to utilise, as this would naturally increase the ride’s footprint, but the Merlin group are missing a trick by not having a Mack coaster in any of their parks.
PhNx Survivor

If Project 2020 for Thorpe is to either be an RMC or B&M.. then I agree that Merlin, with the success of Icon, need to invest in a multi-launch coaster on Rita’s site, obviously being a Mack coaster.

Could you imagine a ride similar to Taron?
Uttox83

JayTricky wrote:Having visited the park the other day for the first time in a while, it's quite clear the park is missing another water ride and a few dark rides. Hex is still brilliant and Duel is fun, but it feels like there is something missing in the line up.
The first thing that comes to mind for me is Valhalla. I would just love a ride of that type in the park. It is both a dark ride and a water ride and is fantastically themed. How great would it be if we had an original theme, possibly located between Gloomy Wood & Forbidden Valley - something that would give a whole new lease of life to the park.
I was queuing for Spinball Whizzer yesterday and thought, how cool would this ride be if you covered it and had music, lights, smoke and lasers. Wouldn't need to be dark themed but I think it would give it some needed TLC. It's one of the best rides on park, in my opinion, and is a lot of fun. 
AltonOperator

Uttox83 wrote:I was queuing for Spinball Whizzer yesterday and thought, how cool would this ride be if you covered it and had music, lights, smoke and lasers. Wouldn't need to be dark themed but I think it would give it some needed TLC. It's one of the best rides on park, in my opinion, and is a lot of fun. 
I like your idea but I find it hard to imagine Merlin doing this. Also if they tried to pass it off as SW9 (maybe you chose the wrong topic :P), I'm sure we'd all be pretty upset! :lol
Thanks Jack
PhNx Survivor

Uttox83 wrote:
JayTricky wrote:Having visited the park the other day for the first time in a while, it's quite clear the park is missing another water ride and a few dark rides. Hex is still brilliant and Duel is fun, but it feels like there is something missing in the line up.
I was queuing for Spinball Whizzer yesterday and thought, how cool would this ride be if you covered it and had music, lights, smoke and lasers. Wouldn't need to be dark themed but I think it would give it some needed TLC. It's one of the best rides on park, in my opinion, and is a lot of fun. 
That’s actually an interesting concept, but as AltonOperator has stated, a lot of people would be upset aha.. but never the less a good idea! Could be an X 2.0 :lol

Welcome to the forum by the way :)
Doublethink

A water coaster (with filtered water- please!) would definitely fill that gap though and be worthy of a Secret Weapon title if themed well enough.
Uttox83

PhNx Survivor wrote:
Uttox83 wrote:
That’s actually an interesting concept, but as AltonOperator has stated, a lot of people would be upset aha.. but never the less a good idea! Could be an X 2.0 :lol

Welcome to the forum by the way :)
Yeah, i think some would still prefer it open but if you themed it right and aimed it at all ages i think it might be a nice update. I think the ride could benefit from abit of TLC and reopening the food stand would be nice. Thanks for the welcome :o) I always check on here at least once a day but never posted.. Right ignorant lol 
Uttox83

Doublethink wrote:A water coaster (with filtered water- please!) would definitely fill that gap though and be worthy of a Secret Weapon title if themed well enough.
Would be a certain winner with park guests! Something along the line of journey to atlantis at universal or a drop along the lines of dudley do right ripsaw falls would be epic! If they themed it aswell as Wickerman it would be worthy of the title SW.. Would be the fist water based SW aswell so another first for the park. I think another water ride is a must! Hopefully they get the updated rapid boats into action soon as you it is basically a lazy river at the moment.