SW9

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Dungeon-X-Smile

I like the idea of a water one!! It would be very unique, and something that might actually have the chance of being an actual worlds first...

Personally, if I could choose the backstory, I'd love it to be about adventure and discovery. Sort of like a long forgotten cave or something where you get to explore it. It would be mysterious, have a chance at a great background, and finally be an SW with a positive story behind it, unlike most of them. Plus, it gives the chance for some truly jaw droppingly beautiful theming. 
Wagstaff04

Perhaps it could be located on the lake, but I doubt it will, as it'll spoil the view.
Dan

Wagstaff04 wrote:Perhaps it could be located on the lake, but I doubt it will, as it'll spoil the view.

In all seriousness, the park would never get planning permission for an attraction on the lake. Not that they would even try, SMDC would quickly shoot it down.

I’m sure English Heritage would have something to say about it as well.
Stan.H

I know we have just had a woodie, but I am now really hoping either for SW9 or SW10 (yes I'm that forward thinking!!) we get a terrain hugging RMC with lots of theming. If not a well themed Intamin LSM Blitz coaster, much like Taron.  I think the mutli-launch would work well in FV, potentially going across the valley, but keeping it low to the ground - so it doesn't interfere with the scenery around. And then the RMC would be cool in DF or GW - considering GW only has Duel, and it could work well maybe even interacting with CRR and RMT. Just some out there thoughts for what I could see potentially working, and also enhaning the ride line-up. However, before we get any more coasters. WE NEED FLATS!!!!  
Phild94

I’ve just been thinking about the location for the next ride at AT.

Obviously Air car park is a likely choice, however there is also a lot of unused space on the old flume site (the other side from Wickerman) to drop a multi-launch through the trees there would be amazing, and may even tie together Duel/Gloomy Wood/Wickerman
Robert.W

I think the areas they didn't use for Wicker Man are classed as Gardens... I'm not sure how likley it would be for them to get planning permission for those areas.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Wicker Man’s planning application made a point of highlighting that the development would not encroach into the woodland that The Flume went through among its positive aspects, so it would be somewhat contradictory for them to propose something that would go in there for SW9. I do also think that the woodland area in question is also protected in some way, preventing them from constructing something there, even if they wanted to.
Scarlyboo22

It is always quite difficult to find space for a new ride without demolishing a pre-existing one. The park has to to be wary of the local residents and protected grounds. I think we will have to just accept that in the future some rides will just have to go to make way for new ones. Even if they are remotely popular.
ATI

I'd love to see a launched Wing Rider replace Rita. I think the combination of winged seats, a launch, and a ride better than Thunderbird is what Alton needs as their next coaster.
We were born to fly...
Robert.W

Ha. I'm literally waiting for the day they announce Rita will be closed an dismantled. I really don't think it's got long left if I'm honest, and a Wing coaster is something I think is missing from Towers lineup, and it's still a pretty unique concept for the UK since the only other similar coaster is Swarm and that's pretty far from Towers. 

Swarm Chris

A wing coaster through the trees would be amazing! But do they really have the room? Those trains are wide and really long.
Robert.W

Space is an issue I hear so many people mention when talking Wing coasters. True that they do need space for the trains, but I'm pretty sure that Towers do have enough room for one, if they design the layout to fit.

TheBeornen

If they were going to do a wing coaster, for space I imagine it probably would be turned on its side at a lot of points during the ride with quick snappy turns and lots of banking which would be unique for a wing coaster in the UK.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Robert.W

And there's nothing stopping them digging a big hole again is there..? :P

WallisDan

Wing coaster on the Galactica carpark?
vikkimoo

When I went last month I felt that Rita was pretty rough - is it just me?
theparklifekid

I've had a few thoughts, but I do think the next SW will be aimed at teens/adults, with SWX (SW10) another thrill/family. Reason being, SW5 Air (high thrill), SW6 Th13teen (family thrill), SW7 Smiler (high thrill), SW8 Wicky (family thrill), so if the towers are going by this model (which I think is a sensible one), it makes sense that the next will be a more intense ride with a 1.4m restriction. And with quite a few people saying Icon looks better, they will want something to draw the attention away from Blackpool. Here are my ideas:

1. I've said this before, Intamin Blitz, look at Taron, amazing. Alton could do a similar thing an with the theming skills from Wicker Man, have its unique marketing be 3/4 launches (no1 out station, 2/3 be somewhere along the track and 4 be a backwards one). Theme? I think a steampunk one would be cool.

2. RMC Trex: The coaster itself is a unique image selling point, no T-Rex has been built yet, boom worlds first. They could make the rides theme like the name, with dinosaurs.

3. Intamin Aquatrax, no seriously, these things pack a punch, can launch, can probably invert, theme could tie into the towers and chained oak or something. The park is lacking another water ride and unlike other watercoasters, these use various sprinklers to spray water on the rides which equals less maintenance and cost (which merlin will love) and a water coaster is pretty unique, so boom, marketing right there.

So thats my opinion, as for location I don't really think GalacticAir's car park is a good location, I think the old coaster corner site is a good place, demolish charlie and have an area there. So Here
Katanga Canyon is a difficult one, I could see something there, but the area would have to expand to the area behind RMTs helix: Here
One I don't ever really see happening is behind X-Sector, but its just a thought: Here
Finally Gloomy Wood, remember that application for a Vekoma around the haunted hallow? Maybe they could have a shot at it again: Here
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
PhNx Survivor

I think it would be reasonable to consider Rita being replaced.. being brutally honest.. it was good for it’s time but now is just not worth queuing up for, to me anyway..

I agree that an Intamin Blitz/Mack Coaster would go there quite nicely as the old UG Swinger and Boneshaker site are not being used.. besides part of the queue for Th13teen and some benches.

If not there, then i’d like to see Gloomy Wood get filled in with more rides near Duel, a launch coaster or ground hugging RMC/T-Rex would be a brilliant addition.

Just depends on the rights and space Towers have in these areas
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Ensee

An Intamin Blitz that extends Katanga Canyon up onto Duel's site would be perfect.  Couple it with a more family friendly ride like Taron does with Raik at Phantasialand and they could bring some focus into an area of the park that's been unchanged for so long.  

Duel takes up so much space and is frankly isolated. They’d be better off doing a new haunted house-style attraction near the Towers to complement Hex. I'd imagine something along the lines of Derren Brown's Ghost Train would be a possibility. 

It would also help them rationalise some of the themes by focusing the 'dark' attractions at the same area of the park.
Stan.H

I can't see Duel getting demolished any time soon, considering they've just thrown at least a few grand at it; as well as hundreds of man-hours and it's also (arguably) a Towers classic. 

However, I like the sound of a new coaster in the Katanga Kanyon/Gloomy Wood area, but, I'm personally hoping for an Intamin Blitz replacing Ria up in Dark Forest. Although, whatever they pull out the bag I really hope they go all out on the theming, general experience and ride(s) area.