SW9

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
MikeMacMcCusker

I'd say that there will be a new coaster at some point for sure in the Forbidden Valley, more specifically around where Ripsaw was (or the Thunder Looper site).

I'd agree with the Mack Coaster prediction, they've proven to be a cheap and compact choice for many parks, and it would make sense for one to go in that area. Especially if you're looking for a coaster with discrete effects on the actual woodland. The council always kicks up a fuss when AT want to do drastic expansions of the resort...
Horras64

If they got rid of blade, I think SW9 could be an S&S El Loco, they're compact and the ditch that blade gives would allow for a decent layout. If not, then I think they would go with a Mack Mega in forbidden valley. I would much prefer that, and maybe there's one planned, and why SW8 isn't in Forbidden Valley, due to rockwork. It makes sense as it would probably need a launch to get from blade up to that area round Nemesis. The only thing that makes me think it won't be, is the fact that they already have a launched coaster, and then they could be like. "We didn't do this as we already have Rita, and we wanted to be Unique" But this is all speculation for a long time away. Still have SW8 yet to come.
tcw1993

I'm all up for discussion, but early doesn't cover it! Absolutely nothing to go off! Sorry to bring negativity to the discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
Burniel

tcw1993 wrote:I'm all up for discussion, but early doesn't cover it! Absolutely nothing to go off! Sorry to bring negativity to the discussion.
There is stuff to discuss. What would you like to see? What will happen to the plans for the Forbidden Valley coaster which we were told was going to be SW8? What will happen to the cross-valley coaster now that SW8 is looking very likely to be wooden? Could be see a revival of a shelved plan? When will we see SW9? Which areas of the park are in need of a new coaster? Are there any coasters which will be getting a bit old by the time SW9 comes about and hence could SW9 replace something? Would you like to see a family coaster such as Th13teen or a big thrill such as Nemesis or The Smiler?
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
118hazaman

With SW8 looking likely to be a family coaster, similar to that of Th13teen, I'd imagine that SW9 will be aimed towards thrill seekers. I expect a larger investment, with a large scale ride, along the lines of the Smiler.
Master_feedback

tcw1993 wrote:I'm all up for discussion, but early doesn't cover it! Absolutely nothing to go off! Sorry to bring negativity to the discussion.
have to say for a ride that's not going to be open till 2022 it dose seam a tad early
MakoMania

Master_feedback wrote:
have to say for a ride that's not going to be open till 2022 it dose seam a tad early
It may open before 2022.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Owen

Even so, you have a minimum of a five an a half year gap between now and when that ride opens - I can certainly see why people are thinking it's possibly a bit early to discuss in its own dedicated topic. Personally I would discuss any future installations in a general future topic, as thid wiukf also make the moderators life a bit easier with one less topic to worry about. :lol

On the other hand, it's a way for some to kill some time, and if the moderators have no issue with the topic then I suppose it doesn't hurt anyone at the end of the day. :)
Burniel

It's not like anyone's forcing anyone to take part in this discussion. Anyone who doesn't wish to discuss this yet can simply not visit this topic.

Anyway, I agree with the idea that this'll be a large, thrilling coaster, but I'm unsure as to where it'll go. An opening date of 2022 sounds reasonable, but 2021 is not impossible (based on the fact that Th13teen, a family secret weapon, opened three years before The Smiler, a high-thrill secret weapon.)
MakoMania

SW8 was originally scheduled for 2017, and has been pushed back one year to 2018. We know that the next "large" investment (SW9 or something else) was scheduled for 2020, which is the Theme Park's 40th anniversary. They may want to keep it on track for that year as a special "40th season new attraction" or it may have been pushed back like SW8 was. Perhaps it has been pushed back on the same scale that SW8 has been, meaning a 2021 opening, just a thought.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
towerslover

I personally think that the blades removal would leave enough room for a 4d coaster with the same layout of those as six flags (pretty sure one if not two use the joker ip) I'm not too sure if there would be space for a queue line? And not seen one of these coaster in real life before so I'm not too sure of the height. Anyone know if that sort of model would be too tall?
Burniel

Joker (Six Flags Great Adventure) stands at 120ft tall.

I don't think they could create a thrilling enough ride which complies with their height restrictions to be honest.
Owen

There are currently two, one uses Batman and one The Joker. These coasters, although cool, have questionable throughput at best and if Alton were to go for a 4D attraction I'd expect something from B&M personally. :)
118hazaman

Investments across the Merlin parks now follow a 4 year cycle: High, Medium, Low, Low.

2016 for AT is the second Low of the cycle, meaning 2017 should have been the high investment. As it is being pushed back a year I expect for that year to be caught up. This could result in the next large investment in 2021, three years after SW8.
Justin

That is a possibility as I believe the Medium and High investments have been switched, but until planning permission has been obtained for each new development then anything can change, therefore the pattern can not be confirmed.
Adam.W

118hazaman wrote:Investments across the Merlin parks now follow a 4 year cycle: High, Medium, Low, Low.

2016 for AT is the second Low of the cycle, meaning 2017 should have been the high investment. As it is being pushed back a year I expect for that year to be caught up. This could result in the next large investment in 2021, three years after SW8.
That being said, was there ever a cycle, but rather where the people working on the budget decide to spend the money? I mean, every year the 'cycle' changes. Just because there has been a major development every two years (for example) for the past 4 years, it doesn't mean that the next investment will be two years after, but just a coincidence that some sort of trend has appeared.
118hazaman

Adam.W wrote:
118hazaman wrote:Investments across the Merlin parks now follow a 4 year cycle: High, Medium, Low, Low.

That being said, was there ever a cycle, but rather where the people working on the budget decide to spend the money? I mean, every year the 'cycle' changes. Just because there has been a major development every two years (for example) for the past 4 years, it doesn't mean that the next investment will be two years after, but just a coincidence that some sort of trend has appeared.
Merlin have specifically mentioned this 4-year cycle in their yearly review (Preliminary Results 2015 and Strategy Update). It's now a fact and should be visible across all of the Merlin Theme Parks.

chrisgeorgiou46

I want that cross valley coaster! The chances of that are practically zero though, right?
Adam.W

We should keep in mind that by the time we (presumably) see SW9, it will have been 9 years since their last major thrill investment for the park.

Personally, after hearing more about SW8, I believe that we will see a large scale dark ride, perhaps something like the Harry Potter rides at universal or something involving 3d elements and moving ride vehicles. It is something the UK is lacking massively, it has been proven to be successful, allows a possible IP implement, and adds to a lineup 'gap' the park currently has.

Even when discussing future developments with people, they've mentioned that the park should get something like this - I reckon it would go down well with the GP. Location wise, I reckon it will be in CCL - the area is due a major overhaul (especially by 2022) and needs a major attraction. I'm also sure the area has been cited as a potential location for future development, so it is still on the cards in my opinion.
ATI

I'd love to see a smaller-scale B&M wing coaster (similar to Raptor at Gardaland) come to the park, as Alton Towers is the only major Merlin park to not have one, and it would be a great fit for their line up...
We were born to fly...