Which SW coaster do you think will be removed first

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

Which SW coaster will be moved first

Nemesis
7%
Oblivion
22%
Air
39%
23%
Smiler
9%

Total votes: 160
Danny

Tom170499 wrote:
sum1mad wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:That said, the incident could have happened on any ride, even our beloved Nemesis.
If I remember correctly, Mr Bolliger said that B&M coasters never have stalled, and never will do, so effectively it couldn't happen on Nemesis, even if 2 trains were put into 1 block, they wouldn't catch up with each other too easily. Plus the lift hill wouldn't be able to carry 2 trains, so by the time the second one has reached the top, the first train would have nearly completed the circuit.
That's just like Bill Boeing saying one of his planes would never crash...
And the Titanic was 'unsinkable'...

Basically, although the statement can be backed up by the clean track record and well designed coasters, no one could say a B&M couldn't stall because it's not B&M who operate the ride. The ride systems shouldn't allow it but as we have seen, these fail.
Adam.W

Meh, but it's pretty damn hard to get Nemesis to stall, it just goes too fast, but if you factored something else like extreme winds or something, I guess it could stall, but it wouldn't operate in such conditions.
Prepare4Air

I think Oblivion will be removed first. It never really had a big queue and takes up a relatively large amount of space that could be put to better use, especially now Submission has been removed. The vertical drop is always amazing, but that's it really. All they need to do is fill the hole with concrete and they have space for a new secret weapon. It probably won't happen for a few years yet though.
Aidan Lowe

Prepare4Air wrote:All they need to do is fill the hole with concrete and they have space for a new secret weapon. It probably won't happen for a few years yet though.
If you spent good money to dig the hole I'm sure if Oblivion went they'd make use of that hole into the attraction.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Adam.W

Andy Mc wrote:
Prepare4Air wrote:All they need to do is fill the hole with concrete and they have space for a new secret weapon. It probably won't happen for a few years yet though.
If you spent good money to dig the hole I'm sure if Oblivion went they'd make use of that hole into the attraction.
And that would be an extreme amount of concrete that would be needed, it goes deeper than you think.
stealthsmiler

The hole would deffo be reused. It would make a good addition to any coasters ride experience whilst also leaving more room above it for flats or more of the SW that replaces it.
Themeparksandy1981

Now bringing back a old topic. It's weird that 51% said that Air would be the 1st coaster to be removed out of the SW coasters and now it's getting all this money spend on it. So thinking now it could be Nemesis removed 1st.
Max

Having originally said Air, one would have to think that it is incredibly hard to pick one, as there's no real outstanding coaster. Alton know Nemesis is internationally recognised as one of the greatest inverted coasters in the world, and will want to keep it. My guess lies with either The Smiler or 13
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
jamesc

Nemesis could last forever if they just replace the track and supports and even the trains in a closed season.

If they did this I think it would only be so they can get a new world first train on it, which could mean a new type of track with the same layout.

Nemesis Reborn, Yeah!
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
Max

Whilst it would be possible for a full replacement trackwise, new trains are unlikely any time soon and certainly no new gimmicky trains as this would both require terrain modifications for the near misses and would potentially add too much to a fantastic ride experience, like what will happen if Air goes VR. Either way, she'll be with us for many years yet, and certainly won't be the first of our SW coasters to depart.

Unfortunate because if done well, train replacement could work wonders.
Themeparksandy1981

My options on all current SW coasters ATM.

Nemesis like in corkscrews final years is getting the smallest queue out of the current SW line up. Like I still think it's the best coaster in the uk but the normal GP may not feel the same. With Sub Terra future in the balance I can see Nemesis coaster maybe removed after the 2024 season.

Oblivion the biggest problem is that it's layout of the coaster is so compact I doubt another big coaster would replace this unless the Smiler has another accident/major fault and they replace both with 1 big coaster.

Air now with it getting all this money spent on it for next season it could be classed as a new coaster but if the VR fails and not enjoyed by the GP it could still be removed 1st.

13 now for a family coaster it still packs in a punch and only still been 6 years old next year it won't be removed anytime soon.

The Smiler I hope for the park it has no more major problems in the next 2 years otherwise it could mean the Smiler been the shortest life coaster in the park.
Liam.W

I love the new B&M vest restraints, so I would love to see those on nemesis.

A track replacement would be good in a few years, but wouldn't be very practical because it may take longer than closed season, meaning it wouldn't be open for fireworks or the first month or so of the season
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Themeparksandy1981

smileradvocate1 wrote:I love the new B&M vest restraints, so I would love to see those on nemesis.

A track replacement would be good in a few years, but wouldn't be very practical because it may take longer than closed season, meaning it wouldn't be open for fireworks or the first month or so of the season
I doubt Merlin would want to replace the same coaster with the same layout. Maybe could remarket it as Nemesis revenge like have his kids around the track after they escaped from Sub Terra. It would just mean just a new station outta building design.
Max

smileradvocate1 wrote:I love the new B&M vest restraints, so I would love to see those on nemesis.
Unfortunately the vest restraints require a much wider train, and, like I mentioned previously, will need heavy modifications to the terrain in order to get the right clearance. Sad but true.
iamradam
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

My vote was for Air (Galactica)
I haven't been to AT in a while so can't comment on how busy the queues have been, but here's an outsider's perspective on what others have said:
Nemesis is a classic and renowned by fanatics, but when you come to the public it just isn't a total "favourite" because they can find an inverted coaster elsewhere. All aside it still seems to be popular as nobody particularly hates it, so it would still draw in a steady stream. Nemesis is also one of the few rides in the park to truly have a touch of "magic" and creativity to it, so if Alton still want to look like a nicely themed park, keep it. (Plus they have Sub-Terra which, cruddy as it is, cements a theme and they'd have to retheme or remove that ride as well as retheme Nemesis Inferno, a lot of hassle).
Oblivion is well embedded into the ground, for a start, plus the new kid in its area suits the theming rather alright, so it doesn't look out of place even with a flat ride removed from the area. A lot of people I know seem to love Oblivion or at least love to watch it! I have friends who ride it and come away with teddy bears and lots of merch, and I have friends who are too scared but still love to talk about how awesome it looks! Oblivion still generates a lot of talk when you bring up Alton Towers.
TH13TEEN has overcome that hype crash and is now recognised as a great family ride, they reworked an entire area to fit around it and if they removed Rita then that's the only ride left in an entire themed area! It'll stay for a while longer.
The Smiler has not made its money back yet, so it's staying.

Now Air...
Air is a tricky one because contrary to its "meh" reception by the modern enthusiast community, so many people say it's their favourite. Hell, even my partner said that they wouldn't return to Alton Towers if they removed Air, and that even "Galactica" makes them sad. BUT whilst it has a large fan following, it is pretty much avoided by most people who are not infatuated by it, resulting in lower ride numbers. The whole fact that Air is the first SW (on this list) to get a proper re-name and re-promotion is not promising. Though it is not as old as its SW brethren, it has been selected for more than just a fresh paint of coat, because it has grown tired in the fashion of it being boring once you get past the flying aspect. I can't get past the original theme of Air and cannot fathom how out of place "Galactica" will feel. I don't think the "juxtaposition" is as nice as others say. Air also takes up a lot of potential land, and if they replaced it with a new beast of a coaster with the correct theming and maybe another flat, Forbidden Valley could be the perfect themed area.
UltimateDingbat

Was there a reason Rita was missed from the above poll?

With Air's new investment I can't see it going anywhere anytime soon as much as I wish they had rethemed it to match the area.

I would say Smiler will put the nail in it's own coffin if it has another accident so I hope not there. Oblivion while I love it
Dan

UltimateDingbat wrote:Was there a reason Rita was missed from the above poll?
Yes, Rita wasn't a Secret Weapon :)
towerslover

I think after AT rebranded air it shows it is not going anytime soon, maybe Oblivion will go first but not any time too soon, enterprise has been there for a long time and due to the removal of submission a couple of years ago, there would be a large space for potential future development, if Oblivion and Enterprise were removed. And if not Oblivion then Nemesis, if AT waited a while for the wooden coaster there would be a huge area there for it to go there once the blade and all the huge rocks were removed! I hope that none of them go any time soon though!
Adam.W

The problem is with SWs is that they're built to last. Come 10 years time and we will still probably have little idea which SW will be removed first.
Burniel

Nemesis isn't going anywhere.

The Smiler will last so long as nothing else happens. Without further problems, it's got a good 20 years I reckon.

Galactica's recent makeover shows hope for the ride lasting longer, but it hasn't proved that popular. If Alton want to keep it past 2030, the VR content needs to be regularly updated.

Th13teen is, in my opinion, a fantastic, unique and efficient family coaster. Perhaps this is because I only get on it once a year, but Th13teen is always one of the most memorable rides of my visit for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. I get the feeling that many non-enthusiasts feel similarly. For those who don't work with spinners, it's a great transition coaster. I reckon it's going to last.

Oblivion is probably my pick. I love the coaster, but to the average visitor it's too short to waste time with, whilst the average enthusiast has done a bigger dive machine. I would be a shame to see it go, but I can see it going possibly even within the next decade.

So there. Either Galactica or Oblivion in my opinion, more likely Oblivion.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.