Duel and the Gloomy Wood - A future?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Collins965

Of all the area's of the park, the Gloomy Wood is never one I have been excited about, although I appreciate the theme and the idea behind it, my friend's take no notice of it, and simply walk on through it as if it were some scenery on the way to Forbidden Valley. I started to question on how it could be made better, and how it can stand out on the park map against the other area's in Alton Towers, but I realised this cannot happen, why?

The Gloomy Wood and The Dark Forest are simply the same thing, right?

With the overhaul of UG Land becoming The Dark Forest area it is today, therefore becoming the new "Evil Misty Forest" theme of the park, the Gloomy Wood simply has been forgotten, as far as I'm aware there has been no change to that area of the park for a long time and I'm starting to agree with my friends that its not even a themed area any more.

The area of the Gloomy Wood isn't necessarily that large, therefore creating an entire new area with new rides, shops ext would be extremely difficult, therefore an expansion of either Katanga Canyon or Forbidden Valley would seem more logical (Especially if SW8 is rumoured to be coming to Forbidden Valley if Ripsaw moves to X-Sector to replace Submission)

In contrast to saying that, I still like Duel, its Alton Towers' haunted house dark ride, and it would be a shame to see it go in the event of the Gloomy Wood being demolished, It would make sense to re-locate Duel to The Dark Forest (Besides The Dark Forest could do with a ride that isn't a Roller coaster)

Extend the Canyon or Valley for possible new ride? Re-locate Duel to the Dark Forest? Or just leave it alone! What do you guys think of my interpretation? ^_^
palaydion

Some people think if more things were added to that area it would make the area very crowded and lose its eeriness. However I do agree something could be added. ^_^
Credit Lewis97

Themeparksandy1981

I think Gloomy Wood still looks better themed than the dark forest area. All the areas Merlin have updated have been just repainted and theming added to the old building. Just look how well themed X sector/Forbidden Valley/Gloomy Wood&Katanga Canyon to the areas Merlin have rethemed.
stealthsmiler

I said on a different forum ages ago that I would like GW to become apart of FV and see Duel be rethemed to a Phalanx training facility using the original transit system and using the laser guns as gun training where you shoot 3D screens with aliens on it.
TH14TEEN

I'm sorry, but that would be horrific. Please leave GW exactly how it is :) ^^^
mark_h

Collins965 wrote:It would make sense to re-locate Duel to The Dark Forest
Relocating Duel would involve constructing a new showbuilding which would have a substantial cost. For that expenditure they would want a new ride which they can market.

I suspect a retheme of Duel is more likely to happen (possibly more major than the change from The Haunted House to Duel), alternatively if the 1992 built ride system is reaching end of life a new ride could be built in the existing showbuilding.
MerlinFan

I have read the book 'Smoke and Mirrors' and you wouldn't believe just how complex the construction of The Haunted House is! It wouldn't be a case of simply relocating it - this would be a huge and very expensive, time consuming undertaking.

I personally really enjoy the walk to Gloomy Wood along the Haunted Hollow trail - I like the little features they put in to distract you as you walk. I personally would like to see more! Was a shame that they removed the horseless crashed hearse as this was always a fun photo opportunity - think it was relocated to The Vampire Ride section of Chessington?

Gloomy Wood remains my favourite themed area of AT - it really captures my imagination (hence why Duel is my avatar). Plus the crepes made in that area are to die for!
Adam.W

I think gloomy wood just needs an attraction/crowd puller to make it less walk through and people can actually appreciate it :)
Themeparksandy1981

I just think it just needs another re theme. Keep the guns but instead of Zombies you shoot ghosts and monsters. They should have really just added to what was already a good haunted house.
Ripsaw Raver

I would love to see Duel becoming a Dr Who Weeping Angels themed attraction.
Where you enter the old house, with signs like Don't Blink and Beware The Angels littered around. In the woods section you could have a crashed TARDIS. As you enter the house, tv screens show clips from (Blink!). As you enter the distorted room you are told that The Weeping Angels have distorted time and space, hence why the room is so bad, in this room you would also have a Weeping Angel that would flicker on the tv screens like (Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone)the distorted room is now a preshow area which is blocked off by doors, as the lights flicker the doctor says that the angels are aware of us and we need to leave NOW, with that lights go out and come back on , in that time a thin wall slides in front of the door you just came through and is shown to be a wall when the light comes back on. The Doctor then explains that the way back is blocked, there is another exit however its the back areas of the house, in order to get there you can use the Transport ahead he had beamed from the TARDIS. The only hitch there is a rift in time right near there and the Angels are feeding on its power.,He then warns you Not to Blink-Never to take your eyes off the Angels because they are FAST. He will promptly guide us from the TARDIS and will try to track the Angels. and finally GOOD LUCK. The ride uses the old system with some additions of multiple angels cleverly hidden to be illuminated by strobes. THe ride would be based on fast movements-surround audio and jumpscares.
Dom

Ripsaw Raver wrote:I would love to see Duel becoming a Dr Who Weeping Angels themed attraction.
Where you enter the old house, with signs like Don't Blink and Beware The Angels littered around. In the woods section you could have a crashed TARDIS. As you enter the house, tv screens show clips from (Blink!). As you enter the distorted room you are told that The Weeping Angels have distorted time and space, hence why the room is so bad, in this room you would also have a Weeping Angel that would flicker on the tv screens like (Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone)the distorted room is now a preshow area which is blocked off by doors, as the lights flicker the doctor says that the angels are aware of us and we need to leave NOW, with that lights go out and come back on , in that time a thin wall slides in front of the door you just came through and is shown to be a wall when the light comes back on. The Doctor then explains that the way back is blocked, there is another exit however its the back areas of the house, in order to get there you can use the Transport ahead he had beamed from the TARDIS. The only hitch there is a rift in time right near there and the Angels are feeding on its power.,He then warns you Not to Blink-Never to take your eyes off the Angels because they are FAST. He will promptly guide us from the TARDIS and will try to track the Angels. and finally GOOD LUCK. The ride uses the old system with some additions of multiple angels cleverly hidden to be illuminated by strobes. THe ride would be based on fast movements-surround audio and jumpscares.
This ride sounds perfect for the Doctor Who fans, but does Merlin really need another BBC themed attraction. Also given the fact that Paramount Park will have a connection with the BBC, i think this won't happen. It might happen at Paramount Park, but at Towers, i'm sorry, i don't think it will.

To be honest, this is what i think should happen
I think what should happen is the following:-

Gloomy wood should close down as an area. Then have Katanga Canyon extended to include the old Gloomy Wood area. Haunted Hollow would just become a footpath. Duel and the area of Gloomy Wood should be rethemed to look like an African tribe settlement. Duel could be re themed inside to basically something similar to Tomb Blaster or to mines. Your fighting for the tribe to get rid of the miners. The outside of Duel could stay the same but be painted to look like a Rich Miners Place. The queue line could then be themed around going through the house and into the mine.

Then Dark Forest could be extended to take over Charlie. This would make it seem like the Dark Forest is extending. Charlie could then get re-themed to look like a river boat going through the Dark Forest. You could use the themeing from inside Duel (minus the LED's) as well as make it look like a forest. Then the glass elevator segment of the ride could turn into the source of the curse and the wraith try to capture you. You leave the ride being unable to break the curse.

Sorry for going off track a little bit, But i needed to explain the whole thing.
Its a post i made in the Gloomy Wood Future.
Ryan.B

I would love to see Katanga Canyon expand, but I would love to have duel the same, but it wouldn't fit in, I can personally see duel staying til around 2020-2025 and a dark ride as the major 2020 investment, the reason I don't see it happen before then is because even if it was Rethemed for Katanga camyon or Forbidden valley, it would cost a lot! Refurbishment, a new ride system may be needed (if I am correct its till the same as the haunted house, so it's 23 it the moment. All of that would cost a lot, then a spruce up would be needed, and theming removed, theming added. The whole area around duel fits in with the ride as well, haunted hollow, the duel queue
Etc. Plus unless the Dahl family renew the deal for Charlie and The Chocolate factory, let's face it, it's
Poor quality and getting unpopular, it probably won't be renewed, and the Dahl deal is supposedly running out at the end of this season, so I think CATCF will be RETHEMED next season, with a new flat somewhere on park, and then in 2017 SW8 and another flat in 2018, and a kids ride in 2019, then as I said, 2020 is the 2nd year of major investment, and when I think duel will be gone. A new dark ride in 2020 would be the perfect time for one I think. I just can't see duel going in the next few seasons based on new flats needed, SEGA and Dahl deals running out and SW8. I would hate to see duel Rethemed completely, as it seems to be one of the rides that brings back the magic, sure, the LED's take away the scares a bit, but the atmosphere, the smells, the models and working anamatronics. Plus it has the best music on park which fits the ride perfectly, and the area looks spectacular. In my opinion duel was the best ride in between 2003 and 2010. All in all fuel is one of the 'fun' rides (not thrilling but magical and fun) and there is only a few of them left on park ( Rapids, mine train Hex And Duel) It's also one of my 9 must rides after the coasters (excluding Octonauts ! Mine train and occasionally spinball)and the Rapids! Alton Towers wouldn't feel the same without gloomy wood in my opinion, and duel was the final investment in the parks most magical and successful years, with the best investments. (1992-2003)they didn't come back until mutiny bay. So, all in all I think Duel is staying for at least the next five years, and I dread the day it goes. :)
SJW

I think that this area is ripe for re-theming. If the Forbidden Valley theme survives SW8 and/or the positioning of a park entrance there, Gloomy Wood and Duel have to be the next things to get a makeover surely?
Kleo

I wouldn't like to see Duel loose it's haunted house feel. I went to Thorpe Park with my nephew recently and realised they didn't have a Haunted House and felt a little gutted as I do quite enjoy them. I don't know about everyone else but to me I feel a Haunted House is like a basic need for a Theme Park. I do feel it could be updated and would love to see what they could do with what is already there. I agree with people saying something outside the ride would be good to. I know it's a small area but even if it was a little something to freshen up the area. They could use the queue line where the grave stones are. Haven't seen that open when I've been there for a while.
Thank You NemesisRider for my signature :)
Adam.W

To be honest, Dom's post seems rather good (and realistic), Duel could be made into a dark ride (maybe even including an expansion), minus the guns, and it could be a mine with a big backstory and be a family orientated ride. As for charlie, there would have to be a bit of a change in CCL to make a boat ride themed to DF. Also, with the removal of the guns in duel, a family shooter ride could be made in CCL maybe? I've always thought that those facades would do with an attraction in them :P
cookiee_munster

I’d love for Gloomy Wood to receive more of a Family Friendly makeover with a bit of a magical menagerie theme.

The woods are home to some of the rarest species of Magical beasts in the UK, and you are about to go on a journey into the woods (at night) to look for them.

It takes a lot of inspiration from the new Fantastic Beasts franchise that’s about to kick off next year.

But basically, the house would serve as the home to a botanist and zoologist and as you travel through the house you’ll see a lot of collections of his from plants to skeletons of weird creatures on display.

What you’ll also notice that the further into the house you go, the darker its getting outside, until your come to the boarding platform where it’s now twilight.

The ride will basically be like a night safari through the woods and discovering what creatures lurk there from fairies, to unicorns and hot tempered griffons.

It’ll be a ride filled with calmer to more ferocious nods to the beasts of folklore and fairytales.

I think generally its what the mark needs. More of a nod to the more family friendly magical and intrigue route the park had back in the 90’s.
Count-Vonduel

I would like to see all the zombies and guns removed (Even outside the ride) then bring John Wardly back to make a new Haunted House ride.
Adam.W

Maybe they could redo duel to make it rather family friendly without making it seem kiddy, almost like HM in Magic Kingdom. They could add another couple of attractions and maybe a show, to make it a family themed spooky area, which can possibly implement a bit of comedy into it, without detoriating from spookiness too much.
mark_h

How does the size of the Duel showbuilding compare with the one they are building for the new indoor ride at Thorpe Park?

Depending on the reception the new ride gets they may consider using the same technology at Alton Towers.
Adam.W

mark_h wrote:How does the size of the Duel showbuilding compare with the one they are building for the new indoor ride at Thorpe Park?

Depending on the reception the new ride gets they may consider using the same technology at Alton Towers.
Knowing Merlin, I doubt they would want the same ride in 2 parks, as I think they want to keep their rides relatively unique to their parks, while being able to market them. Making a arm/claw ride thingy in duel could make people think it's the same ride, and might not be as marketable (?). Not too sure, but I doubt they'd get the same ride again.