Duel and the Gloomy Wood - A future?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
cookiee_munster

sum1mad wrote:
mark_h wrote:How does the size of the Duel showbuilding compare with the one they are building for the new indoor ride at Thorpe Park?

Depending on the reception the new ride gets they may consider using the same technology at Alton Towers.
Knowing Merlin, I doubt they would want the same ride in 2 parks, as I think they want to keep their rides relatively unique to their parks, while being able to market them. Making a arm/claw ride thingy in duel could make people think it's the same ride, and might not be as marketable (?). Not too sure, but I doubt they'd get the same ride again.
thing is its actually a lot cheaper to use an exact copy of a ride system and its layout.

then all they need to do is theme it completely different with a totally new story etc.

Disney do it all the time. look at Dinosaur and Indiana Jones: Temple of the Forbidden Eye. EXACTLY the same ride system, track layout, everything. apart from the theme. you'd never think it was the same ride.
Adam.W

Still, wouldn't it be cheaper in the first place to just leave it as duel. Also, it's an expensive ride system we're talking about, it will still cost millions, and it's more worth it making the ride in its own building, and adding another attraction to the park :)
stealthsmiler

If the two rides were completely different themes, then they will be completely different experiences. Technically with Duel, if you took away the guns you could say its the same as every other haunted house ride because your just sat in a moving car. Plus it would mean two good quality dark ride attractions for the UK, an area which is becoming very out of date. We need some new dark rides using new technology.

Also Duel needs a refresh and update as it is run down and dated now. I think it would be more beneficial for them to just remove the lesser quality ride and replace it with a high quality one as that will make the park look better. Plus having another more superior dark ride would take away even more of Duels queue and make Due look even worse.
TuesdayNightChat

I would hate to see Gloomy Wood go,and hate to see it fall behind into complete obsurity,which it maybe in danger of doing.I think Duel has had it run,in my opinion,Ive not been a fan of Duel,but a HUGE fan of the Haunted House.It was one of the main themes and attractions of the early 90s,and takes me back to my child hood,with the tv advert they used to run. I would like to see it turn back to the haunted house with the use of haunted hollow to theme what may lie in store for them in the house.

I woul like to see the actual area of Gloomy Wood expand (still love that area name!)
Dom

I think most people will agree that when The Haunted House became Duel it sort of lost its charm and appeal. I remember riding it as Haunted House and actually been scared, but then when it became duel it just became a bit naff. I think they were clever in changing it to Duel as it appealed more to the family market, but i think they need to rethink it again. It needs an update and those bloody guns need to go as i personally feel it ruins the ride.
Adam.W

I agree, they kinda do, and they look and feel a bit 1980s
MerlinFan

Hey nothing wrong with a bit of retro!
tharrison4815

I don't see the Gloomy Wood and Dark Forest as being the same theme. Gloomy Wood is more of a family friendly spooky trick or treat sort of light hearted feel. Dark Forest is more of a more mature scary serious sort of feel.

I think its great to have both. The main thing I would like to see is for Duel to be totally revamped. Keep the exterior look but totally change the entire ride inside and just make it all more modern and polished and scrap the guns and make it more about the aesthetics.
Stan.H

If Alton Towers didn't already have AIR, Gloomy Wood could do with an 'E-TICKET' attraction. I was thinking an AIR style ride where you soar throough the trees and have near misses with grave stones... I think Glomy Wood could also do with a flat ride, maybe a Mack Mega Coaster partly in the dark!!
epcot1982

I went on Duel this weekend and there seems to have been a lighting change in some areas. I thought some areas were much brighter. This was particularly noticeable in the screaming head section. The lights used illuminated not only the heads but also the mechanism used in the effect totally ruining that section. I hope it returns to normal over the closed season.
stevebrown

Ever since I went on The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman at Universal Islands Of Adventure in Florida in 2013, I've always thought that Duel has been crying out for an upgrade to something like this ride. It's a combination of 3D projections, real-time effects and sets - mix all of that in a haunted house theme and I think it's a winner! Of course it would cost millions, but I think it would be well worth it. Found these couple of behind the scenes clips which shows the cars and how they move while on the track and interact with the projections etc. Well worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PcLmfBUemI (watch from 50s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rJqA4ivyQw
bensaund

Has anyone else noticed that there is some missing scenery from Duel? Any idea if this is TLC or if this is the possible end for Duel?
JonDoesTT

bensaund wrote:Has anyone else noticed that there is some missing scenery from Duel? Any idea if this is TLC or if this is the possible end for Duel?
Yeah, there's a lot of the ride where there's not much really happening. Not sure why, but hopefully it's TLC.

Credit to NemesisRider
Stan.H

Alton Towers. Hands Off Duel! Unless you are removing the lasers...
jmed

I agree the a haunted house is a vital part of any theme park, however duel is dated. Also, I do think gloomy wood and dark forest are very similar and therefore one is unnecessary. I don't think at rebranding ugland into dark forest was an accident of poor forsight, I believe I was always part of a long term strategy to develop a new spooky themed area with more space, in preparation for the eventual removal or retheme of gloomy wood.
Let's be honest, GW only has space for one ride and is an area with one ride really sufficient as it's own area.

Ive stated in the 2015-2019 chat that there needs to be some merging of themed areas to create less areas but with better and more distinct themeing. I think a new haunted house should be built in df with duel eventually being removed.
I agree that relocating duel is pointless. I wouldn't save much over introducing a new ride, and it's surely easier to design something new to fit a certain space rather than trying to adapt an old ride.

I have always thought that the themeing of gloomy wood is great, it's looking a bit tired lately but it is still a great use of space, it feels very isolated and that's kew for s spooky theme, however it's had its day. I know the traditionalists will disagree but I'm not saying a haunted house isn't needed, it could just be done bigger and better. The scarefest season is very popular so there clearly is demand for that theme, and that could justify the cost. A new ride, as the original haunted house proved, although large, can take up very little frontage space and can make good use of dead space, such as behind the cable car station and thirteen.
Although I don't mind the ides of the lasers and guns, it's something fun that me and my kids off all ages will join in together, I don't think it works in a haunted house. All the spookyness and 'jump' features get dulled down as your focusing on the lasers all the time. It worked to extend the life of the haunted house but a new ride could be so much better.
Theo

stevebrown wrote:Ever since I went on The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman at Universal Islands Of Adventure in Florida in 2013, I've always thought that Duel has been crying out for an upgrade to something like this ride. It's a combination of 3D projections, real-time effects and sets - mix all of that in a haunted house theme and I think it's a winner! Of course it would cost millions, but I think it would be well worth it. Found these couple of behind the scenes clips which shows the cars and how they move while on the track and interact with the projections etc. Well worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PcLmfBUemI (watch from 50s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rJqA4ivyQw
On Merlin's budget? Forget it. They would never pump 35 million+ into a dark ride.

And anyway, Transformers is a lot better than Spiderman anyway! ;)
Dan

Theo wrote:
On Merlin's budget? Forget it. They would never pump 35 million+ into a dark ride.

No?

We must be imagining DBGT then ;)
stevebrown

Theo wrote:

Haha well true, but Transformers was being built when I was there and I've not been back since ;)

I agree that £35m+ is probably too much, but if DBGT is as popular as expected, then maybe this could be a turning point for Merlin?
ThemeCrafter264

Ninjago the ride shows Merlin is good with dark rides, when they aren't completely dark themes. Duel has never appealed to me but I feel that area should stay how it is. Dark forest should be made a lot more forest like.
Adam.W

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:Dark forest should be made a lot more forest like.
You're not the first person to say that :P

I can personally see gloomy wood being refurbished and rethemed completely, once the ride system starts to show it's age. For the last few years, there always seems to be some part of the ride broken/turned off, whether it be some lights or the tunnel.
It would be a shame for the exterior to go (since it is one of the best themed buildings on park, if not the best), but there's already the superior dark forest (in terms of popularity and rides, not theming) with a similar theme, so it would be logical for merlin to put some investment into retheming the area.