The Future of the Monorail

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
abigsmurf

The cheapest thing in the long run would be a covered walkway with travellators. For the most part it would just require sacrificing a couple of spaces in each row. Big initial cost but tiny ongoing costs compared to the monorail or operating 3-4 trams continuously and in the summer months you could get a few stalls out selling refreshments. 

The biggest problem with travellators would be that there would be a far bigger rush of people leaving the car park at once rather than it being spread out over an hour or so.

Can't really see a citywalk style plaza of expensive themed restaurants working given the seasonal nature of the park and the majority of visitors having hours of driving ahead of them when leaving (that said, a coffee shop and fast food outlet would probably get full at closing time and they could charge service station level prices).
Robert.W

Pictures from TowersStreet appear to show that the monorail is having new evacuation walkways installed... I wonder if this is part of the TLC program? It must mean that the resort DO plan on keeping the monorail, at least for the foreseeable future!

DeadJack5

In regards to what Robert.W was saying about new evacuation walkways (Credit to TowersStreet)

I've never seen the Monorail breakdown before and need to be evacuated, but at least they are forward thinking for the future if this ever happened. This would make the process a lot easier to do.
Robert.W

Definitely, as I do remember reading one particularly bad article about a monorail breakdown some time ago, claiming that people were trapped for hours and were dehydrated, so it's good the resort are taking steps to prevent these things happening, especially as the monorail could become increasingly unreliable in its old age.

Justin

Hopefully, with the installation of new evacuation platforms, this shows Alton are committed to keep this much needed transport system in place for many years to come. Hopefully, they will invest in the system as a whole.
george.cross

I agree, the Monorail is integral to the Alton Towers experience, however, I do feel it's a shame that the windows look like a microwave.

For people coming to the park for the first time, it could be such a better introduction to the park, taking them through the different areas they will encounter throughout the day. Also, it would be great for people exiting the theme park as they would be able recap on their day on the park, while viewing the park from above. Hopefully Merlin know this and the new evacuation platforms are a sign that the trains are being given some attention. Maybe we can expect to actually have some decent views of the park from the Monorail in the 2018 season. I personally think it's a real possibility.
TheBeornen

Hopefully they change the windows because one of my favourite parts of the monorail is going over Forbidden valley and seeing the Nemesis monster in full and Galactica. 
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
pjb012

Something needs to be done with the monorail and im not talking about theming. The ride system seems to be in such a state that AT are incapable of running a reasonable amount of trains. It was a 50 (yes FIFTY) minute wait yesterday morning. Trains seemed to be about one every 8-10mins. I would have walked but had 5yr old with me and too far for her.

EDIT:

Another huge queue already again this morning 45mins before start of early ride time. Monorail just sat in station not doing a lot.
Last edited by Dan on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post
Robert.W

My advice — just walk. Really isn't any point waiting any longer than it would take to actually walk to the park.

ChessingtonSam

Robert.W wrote:My advice — just walk. Really isn't any point waiting any longer than it would take to actually walk to the park.
...But my legs!
Robert.W

ChessingtonSam wrote:
Robert.W wrote:My advice — just walk. Really isn't any point waiting any longer than it would take to actually walk to the park.
...But my legs!
Haha, I suppose it depends what you prefer. Personally I'd rather walk for 15 mins than stand almost stationary for 45+ mins. :)

AltonOperator

Robert.W wrote:
ChessingtonSam wrote:
...But my legs!
Haha, I suppose it depends what you prefer. Personally I'd rather walk for 15 mins than stand almost stationary for 45+ mins. :)
I completely agree. on Thursday I was told the monorail queue was only ten minutes but I decided I'd rather be walking and achieving something rather than queuing like I had been all day
Thanks Jack
Black Hole

I would love the monorail to stay. Great experience when running correctly especially seeing the rides and Towers Street. Unfortunately operations not great at the moment. The cars could do with a revamp especially the windows. Also quite large queues even on lighter days. Fingers crossed there's a plan to improve it. The second exit in Forbidden Valley could relieve some of the strain at park close.
emmamon81

Maybe they could take a leaf out of Disney's books and have a Wally Trolley style bus that takes guests from the carpark to the entrance and back again. Don't get rid of the monorail but give guests the option: Monorail, trolley, or foot? Xx
calebgill352

I hope they take the stickers off the windows so you can actually see through, because you could get some great views of Duel, Nemesis, Galactica and sometimes Wicker Man can be seen.
Coaster Chall

I would like to see newer style Monorail trains with see through clear windows but change the theming of the trains to the main coasters at the park.