The Future Of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
stealthsmiler

I think if done correctly, A Dr Who ride could work and attract a lot of guests of all ages with most people today growing up with one of the doctors. They would need to mention them all though, and i dont really now if the ride is big enough for that. I personally may ride it once out of interest as my interest in Dr Who starts with the 9th doctor and ends with the 10th.

I think the weeping angels could work great in a ride.
Themeparksandy1981

It will all depend on if the 2016 Attraction at Thorpe Park is based on Doctor Who.
TheBeast

I thought with the fact that the BBC signed with another park showed that it was unlikely to happen? Or have I just made that up?
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Altontowersbarlow

TheBeast wrote:I thought with the fact that the BBC signed with another park showed that it was unlikely to happen? Or have I just made that up?
Paramount Park has apparently signed a deal with the BBC and plan to build rides based on franchises of the company. This does indeed make it unlikely for Thorpe Park to create a Doctor Who attraction however I wouldn't rule it out completely as plans for the Thorpe Park 2016 attraction were made before the announcement of Paramount and the BBC partnership.
Adam.W

Transformers ride with epic explosions and stunts all the way! :lol
But really now,
I'd like to have it based off something like a fairy tale, have some catchy music and then you have something decently themed like splash mountain(mk). Supposing if it's done well.

But for now, we'll have to see, as I doubt that AT will get the contract thingy signed, so we'll probably get a retheme if I'm honest
Themeparksandy1981

Charlie will stay the same to the contract ends.
Been 10 years old next year has the front of the building been touched since opening?
TH14TEEN

I like the Charlie theme and would love it to stay
Kleo

Seeing that Charlie is 10 years old makes me feel old! I remember going to Alton while they were building it and excited to see what is on the inside!

I feel I agree that it would be good to see Charlie go. I went on the John Lewis day back in Feb and we decided to go on it as we were all very cold and needed to be indoors to warm up. I hadn't been to the Towers in years but noticed that the ride hadn't been looked after very well. I love the Fantasy and Dr Who ideas. It would be great to see something similar to the first part of the Dr Who experience in Cardiff but using the boats.
Thank You NemesisRider for my signature :)
Ryan.B

Charlie is done quite badly, it has amazing potential, but quite a lot of the target market are underwhelmed by it, so in terms of target market liking the ride, and what I myself think- possibly the worst ride at towers, it's also obvious that the facade is just a frontage for the ride with the warehouses visible from most angles, and it has broken down a lot of the times I've been to alton as well, bring back toy land tours! (Never going to happen but try :lol )
tallicay2k

My wife's 25 years old and she loves the elevator part. Easily amused I know.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
TH14TEEN

I like the ride, but elevator one never works, resulting in much lower capacity. Needs sorting.
towerslover

Don't now where I read it but saw a rumour that the Charlie contract ends soon/has ended. Could be correct but it's only just a rumour. It would make sense because it has been operational for 10 years now I believe. Just wondering what sort of 'tlc' is going on in there. And if not then why is it taking a whole season!?
Last edited by Dom on Tue May 17, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
Liam.W

towerslover wrote:Don't now where I read it but saw a rumour that the Charlie contract ends soon/has ended. Could be correct but it's only just a rumour. It would make sense because it has been operational for 10 years now I believe. Just wondering what sort of 'tlc' is going on in there. And if not then why is it taking a whole season!?
Yes the CATCF contract has ended, hence why all branding for the ride has been taken down. I'm guessing a full ride re-theme is in order, as no CATCF related things can be in there now due to copyright and all that stuff I believe.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

MakoMania

I believe it was stated at the Spring Spectacular that the Resort renewed the CATCF contract for 2016 only, but still decided not to open the attraction, hence why they can still use the charlie IP on their website.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Liam.W

MakoMania wrote:I believe it was stated at the Spring Spectacular that the Resort renewed the CATCF contract for 2016 only, but still decided not to open the attraction, hence why they can still use the charlie IP on their website.
Ah right, I'm confused as to why they would only renew it for one year, not to even open the attraction. If I were them I would just remove CATCF from the website to save forking out on a contract!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Ryan.B

The contract was 10 years, and has ended.

From what I've heard, The Roald Dahl family weren't so happy about the ride after opening, and I believe that they didn't feel like it captured the story as well as it could, and effects were broken, and quite a lot of people dislike it, I doubt Towers would like to renew the contract, as its not really popular..

What I reckon is the building will be gutted, and use the clean water system for a family flume going indoors and outdoors if not torn down, I think that'll be what we see, with the rest of CCL redone or the whole area changed, and my ideal situation would be wobble world, Charlie and Nick Outta Control buildings gutted, Nick building made larger to accommodate a coaster, and have the area turn into an large indoor attraction with multiple rides, like Arthur. an area like this is needed in this country with our weather :lol
MakoMania

Ryan.B wrote:The contract was 10 years
And was then renewed for one more year, if it wasn't then the words "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" wouldn't appear on altontowers.com
Ryan.B

that is true, but as the ride isn't open, and seems to be heading towards closure, they most likely only did it for legal rights, don't think the contract extension will effect the rides future. :D
MakoMania

Ryan.B wrote:don't think the contract extension will effect the rides future. :D
I agree :)
Ryan.B

I do think this time, we will be seeing the end of the transit system, possibly allowing a flume like ride as both water rides on park are quite slow, with no drops or decent speed.. speaking from the GP's perspective as personally I love the rapids more, but the flume seemed to be the one with queues.