Duel: Retheme, Replace or Remove?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Chaz

Id like to see the the interior ride completely ripped out (exterior, queue and interior queue kept). Ride system replaced with a cheap family coaster (a la X or TH13TEEN), new animatronics and scenery. Lots of homages to the original ghouls (screaming heads, electric Bill, the lunatic, t-cup ghost etc.). Part darkride, part coaster (think The Revenge of the Mummy but on a smaller scale). The actual dark coaster bit could have new screaming heads flying about as you helix around.

This would utilise the old queue again (with popularity growing). I would have John as a consultant. Even though technically retired, he could have a hands-off approach to the new ride. They could make this a world class ride at very little cost compared to secret weapons. Opens up the family market more also.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Coasterfellow

I cant see them using any of the elements from duel in the next ride that is put there. They will probably replace or demolish the whole building and area.
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
Sr88

To be honest I wouldn't be too bothered if they replaced it. Something new and popular could go here, which more people would want to go on.
NemesisRider

I agree with Sr88, Duel's popularity is declining. They could probably do a good MOJ themed haunted house, but some might find the theme too obscure.

A new haunted house might go in dark forest, to make it suitable for completely everyone (under 1.2m).
Coasterfellow

^^^^ They should do a dark ride themed to moj and you could be going through marmalisation tests to find new ways to marmalise people! :)
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
NemesisRider

Exactly! Incorporate some of the effects used in the sanctuary in the ride too. I would not be entirely surprised if Submission went because:
A. It was getting older
B. The MOJ haunted house is an opportunity too good to miss
Themeparksandy1981

I can see them keeping the building as they won't have to get planning permission again if it's kept In the building. You only got to look at the pictures from above of duel to see how big it is http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/do ... wn/2006-2/
NemesisRider

Fair enough.

There will be a lot of space left when/if Duel does goes. What could they put there?
fillc85

Definitely rip out the interior and use the empty space for a coaster like revenge of the mummy (I know previously mentioned).

Part dark ride part coaster like ROTM which stays pretty low to the ground especially if they launched (through the current spinning tunnel) as opposed to a lift hill climb it should stay within the space.

If you look at dreams,, themes and scream machines on you tube. Its actually a really big space and I suppose they could keep the exterior. AT has needed a coater in the dark since Black Hole went. Remember the spinning element SW7 was meant to have? Just saying lol :)
Themeparksandy1981

Was on it yesterday. I don't know if it's just me but the spider section looks like there's been more spiders added and more theming like cobwebs added. Was disappointed in Duel yesterday. Many areas were in darkness with just the led on and some areas the Leds wasn't working but the lasers did stay on to the very end of the ride.
evenstar120

Rode Duel today and I have to say that like the Flume it is really showing its age and I cannot remember the last time I have seen even the slightest hint of a queue for it. The interior needs ripping out completely and replacing with an up to date haunted house/ dark ride.
LevSusenka

You have to have at least one proper haunted house ride of some description at a park. We have "dark rides" already there but thats no reason to get ride of the haunted house concept. Maybe its just the oppertunity for AT to once again come up with an amazing haunted house ride as when it was new.
Removing it and saying 13 and Hex are enough dark rides doesnt cater for all tastes and family types and theres surely always interest in the zombie/death style themeing that really doesnt feature in the other rides. It could be a little bit of scarefest thoughout the year. Just needs the ride thought and money (yeah I know they dont like spending it).

I personally will be sad to see it go but if its for something similar and better then thats progress so cant be mad.
Luce

Although I quite like Duel, I agree that replacing it would be a good idea but perhaps keep the haunted house theme but update it. A really well themed dark ride would be ideal, as there are plenty of them that are excellent and don't have laser guns :D
Altontowersbarlow

It would be ideal if the replacement/re-development of duel was a substitute for SW8. According to the Smiler's overall cost SW8's budget could exceed £18 million leaving a huge opportunity for a themed dark ride. I feel it would be a viable development if AT used clever effects such as projections and lights to create a magical dark ride experience that all of the family could enjoy. It is quite clear that AT will never be able to afford a Disney standard dark ride however I think it would be entirely possible to make a popular dark ride with £18 million. If AT used and re-themed the existing duel building the cost of the ride would not be as excessive meaning a larger budget could be spent on effects. I would like to see effects incorporated into AT's next dark ride that are similar to those seen in the updated Alice In Wonderland attraction at Disneyland California purely because of the fascinating visual aspects they add to the ride.
stealthsmiler

Could a small coaster style dark ride be built in Duels building. It starts off as a normal dark ride with theming etc and a story line, then at random points throughout the the ride it has a small coaster part with hills and helixs, nothing to massive or intense but enough to make it exciting. They could be incorporated into the story line somehow. They could be lap bars so that it still feels family like, and could even be powered by launches that are quite slow as in say 20/30mph. I think it would be different enough from Rita and would be an amazing dark ride.
Altontowersbarlow

stealthsmiler wrote:Could a small coaster style dark ride be built in Duels building.

I am sure a compact rollercoaster could fit within the space of Duels show building. If you skip to 13.06 during the linked video, you can see the scale of Duels ride system building without the façade during construction;
fillc85

Altontowersbarlow wrote:It would be ideal if the replacement/re-development of duel was a substitute for SW8. According to the Smiler's overall cost SW8's budget could exceed £18 million leaving a huge opportunity for a themed dark ride. I feel it would be a viable development if AT used clever effects such as projections and lights to create a magical dark ride experience that all of the family could enjoy. .
This is exactly what i was thinking all the modern Theme Parks have at least one Darkride/Coaster. For me Duel took away the charm from the Icon that was The Haunted House, which was ground breaking in the day.

Even if they added some screens and gave you 3D glasses would make a great improvement - give the house a flow with a proper story line.
Danny

I'd absolutely love a complete re do, exactly the same as Toy Story Mania, but obviously with the haunted house theme. TSM is a brilliant ride that is so much fun, and the guns don't ache your arms as they are fixed to the cart in front of you. The spinning makes it more exciting, and if done well could be a really family friendly scare attraction.

Each room needs a smoke machine that creates a blanket of mist over the ground to hide the track, adding to the mystery of where your going. Also I think part of the house should have an outdoor field, as if your cart is driving through a graveyard. Big 3D screens should be added as the target zombies and such which would look great instead of waxworks and animatronics that's currently used to make people jump.

Another gimmick I'd like is bumps somewhere on the carts course, like on Test track. As it's a dark ride it would make riders jump as they first go over them adding to the spooky experience of not knowing what's happening next.

It has so much potential to be a great dark haunted ride, please put some money in to it!
fillc85

DannyG wrote:I'd absolutely love a complete re do, exactly the same as Toy Story Mania, but obviously with the haunted house theme. TSM is a brilliant ride that is so much fun, and the guns don't ache your arms as they are fixed to the cart in front of you. The spinning makes it more exciting, and if done well could be a really family friendly scare attraction.

It has so much potential to be a great dark haunted ride, please put some money in to it!
I hope they do this. Alton Towers does do Gothic very well i must say. But they wouldn't necessarily have to fully replace the ride system, just the cars.
NemesisRider

Realistically, if Duel goes, it will just get replaced by another haunted house. Possibly not on the same site, but AT do have to have a haunted house.