Gloomy Wood Future

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
lf2001

I hope that when they remove Rita, they do have the broomstick launch coaster built. Would definitely make Gloomy Wood a lot more popular.
DrReeve

lf2001 wrote:I hope that when they remove Rita, they do have the broomstick launch coaster built. Would definitely make Gloomy Wood a lot more popular.
Does it really matter if rita is gone before they build this new broomstick over gloomy wood both rides are set out to have different experiences so i dont think it will matter that much
Burniel

I would agree, but in fairness if it happened with Rita still in the park, we'd be sitting here going on about how there's 2 launched coasters in the park and they should have got rid of Rita.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
stealthsmiler

I know it would be expensive and hard to do but where the queue line in the forest is, could they get an underground attraction, i dont know what, but if they could it would add a ride without ruining the quiet and secluded feel of Duel. Or have the attraction sunken into the ground and then just be indoor. A horror maze maybe??

I do think GW needs another ride but another ride would ruin the area due to noise and the lack of secludedness for Duel which is why I think underground.
KoasterKraver

I really like the idea of a scare maze in gloomy wood. I have always wanted them to have a live actor horror experience either in the old duel queue line or the exit.
stealthsmiler

They could use the old queue line and build around it.
KoasterKraver

That's a great idea - I wonder what would the maze would be called? Duel: Alive?
cookiee_munster

im torn between two idea's they could go with for spruicing up gloomy wood.

either go down a more family friendly route and make the wood more "enchanted" themed. so its filled with beasts and creatures with that kind of magical vibe like faries, unicorns, sprites and griffins etc. the house could be home to an explorer currently living in the wood and researching the creatures. the actual ride could be a journey into the darkest parts of the woods to find these creatures.

OR

A more psychological horror type of theme. where the ride is similar to the original haunted house, but with less of a light hearted story and theme and taking on something that really could be quite scary. using elements from films like The Woman in Black, The Others and The Conjuring. you don't get to see what it is that resides in the house. you just experience what they can subject you to. A hedge maze could be built just next to the house. tying in a garden/house look a'la the shining.
stealthsmiler

I like the idea of a maze next to the house, a traditional one with out the actors, but it would still have to have a few surprises in there. I think it should be kept family friendly. I think the first idea was really good, just not for gloomy wood (maybe a charlie replacement). Its not gloomy enough but i definitely think the theme need to be enhanced (fog machines). The second idea is also good but as I said, I think it needs to stay family friendly.
DrReeve

stealthsmiler wrote:I like the idea of a maze next to the house, a traditional one with out the actors, but it would still have to have a few surprises in there. I think it should be kept family friendly. I think the first idea was really good, just not for gloomy wood (maybe a charlie replacement). Its not gloomy enough but i definitely think the theme need to be enhanced (fog machines). The second idea is also good but as I said, I think it needs to stay family friendly.
I have to agree gloomywood is one of the family areas and it should stay that way. A maze if themed and placed well would be quite nice. But would a lot of people really want to go through it?
Image credit to Lewis97
Altontowersbarlow

I think Gloomy Wood is an area that has a range of opportunities but has not been taken advantage of yet. I completely understand that tree felling restrictions are in place but I am convinced there is room somewhere in this area for a new ride. In an ideal situation I would love the instillation of a new family roller coaster similar to Flight Of The Hippogriff at IOA however a small flat ride would not go unappreciated either. Despite this I like the secluded feel to Gloomy Wood and if a new ride was added it could become too similar to the Dark Forest's theme therefore I feel Gloomy Wood is serving it's purpose correctly at the moment :)
DrReeve

Altontowersbarlow wrote:I think Gloomy Wood is an area that has a range of opportunities but has not been taken advantage of yet. I completely understand that tree felling restrictions are in place but I am convinced there is room somewhere in this area for a new ride. In an ideal situation I would love the instillation of a new family roller coaster similar to Flight Of The Hippogriff at IOA however a small flat ride would not go unappreciated either. Despite this I like the secluded feel to Gloomy Wood and if a new ride was added it could become too similar to the Dark Forest's theme therefore I feel Gloomy Wood is serving it's purpose correctly at the moment :)
That's very true, Gloomy Wood should try and separate itself from Dark Forest.
Image credit to Lewis97
AdamPanic

What about revamping (no pun intended) Duel around The Munsters, or even theme it around mythos of HP Lovecraft?
  • Cthulhu
  • Rats in the Walls
  • Necronomicon
Construct a Chained Oak.

Imagine on of these in the corner of Gloomy Hollow, not far out the gates and to the woods.

Ufo themed as a Stone Circle like Stone Henge.
Or an extreme themed as giant spider.

Katanga Canyon could be one of the forbidden lands. or "The Nameless City"
Mutiny Bay as Innsmouth?
Benji

If I'm honestly, I'd like to see gloomy wood go down the more mythical magical type area (like witches and wizards) as the dark forest already caters for the more creepy, scary themed rides. The broomstick coaster is definitely something I would love to see in gloomy wood, as it is the type of ride people of all ages can enjoy, also it'd finally bring back some attention to the area! Add a magical labyrinth of some sort and a heavily themed restaurant selling some strange grub, give duel a spruce up, adding a few new effects here and there, please please take away the laser guns and towers would be on to a family winner
Liam-AltonTowers

Would love to see them build something similar to the Ben 10 ride at Drayton Manor in the Gloomy Wood but indoors and in like the dark, that would be good.
Dom

I think what should happen is the following:-

Gloomy wood should close down as an area. Then have Katanga Canyon extended to include the old Gloomy Wood area. Haunted Hollow would just become a footpath. Duel and the area of Gloomy Wood should be rethemed to look like an African tribe settlement. Duel could be re themed inside to basically something similar to Tomb Blaster or to mines. Your fighting for the tribe to get rid of the miners. The outside of Duel could stay the same but be painted to look like a Rich Miners Place. The queue line could then be themed around going through the house and into the mine.

Then Dark Forest could be extended to take over Charlie. This would make it seem like the Dark Forest is extending. Charlie could then get re-themed to look like a river boat going through the Dark Forest. You could use the themeing from inside Duel (minus the LED's) as well as make it look like a forest. Then the glass elevator segment of the ride could turn into the source of the curse and the wraith try to capture you. You leave the ride being unable to break the curse.

Sorry for going off track a little bit, But i needed to explain the whole thing.
Marcus

I'd really like to see a Arrow swinging coaster (like Vampire) along side Duel, if somehow AT could fit them both
stealthsmiler

I have to admit, Gloomy Wood retheme wouldn't be such a bad thing due to the dark forest. I would love to see the extension of Katanga Canyon as it's such a good area, I love walking through it to get to FV. I would like to see Duel be rethemed into a safari type ride, located just outside the African Village, Gloomy Wood could then be themed around the wild surrounding the village. Haunted Hollow could then become just a path, but reappear at scarefest.
Rollermad

Marcus wrote:I'd really like to see a Arrow swinging coaster (like Vampire) along side Duel, if somehow AT could fit them both
I wish arrow was still around, well we have vekoma I guess :) I think that the Stonehenge UFO ride idea is cool aswell. Maybe a Twister ride around a tree as middle or a low down Condor ride.
jmed

Realistically, are there going to be any major developments or money spent on gloomy wood? It seems like, should the new entrance go ahead, gloomy wood would be cleared to make way for turnstiles, shops and buildings. If you cleared the space taken up by duel and the monorail maintenance building there is enough space but there's no way gloomy wood could stay?

I know it may be a long way off happening, or.might never happen but clearly it's part of the LTDP so would merlin want to invest until they know it's worth it?

Thoughts,?