Submission Replacement

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Hari

So I think its clear to say Ripsaw will definitely NOT be moved to X-Sector because it is planned to be removed in the Long Term Development plan? It would be a complete waste of money to do that and remove it a couple years later :P
NR
Cookie Monster

We may get a Gerstlauer flat ride in its place, maybe a skyroller?
bensaund

I'm sure submission is still there as I could see it through the trees.
Last edited by bensaund on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you go down to the woods today
DeanGaryCox

Well surely as it was decided half way through closed season there must have been an issue with it to no longer make it feasible to keep the ride. Considering this last minute decision, I'm 99% sure we won't see anything in its place this season and the main structure will probably still be in place for this coming season.
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014
stealthsmiler

I think they should construct an indoor maze like The Sanctuary on the site and put new flats elsewhere (Dark Forest). The indoor maze could either be the introduction to Ministry of Joy getting you ready for The Smiler. Or it could be a test after The Smiler to make sure you have been corrected properly. If the latter was used, Oblivion could be re-themed (orange painted yellow) to be The Ministry of Joy's way of disposing those who haven't been corrected properly. This would give a really good overall theme for the area.
AltonTowersGeek

Wasn't Oblivion test 1
SamSimkin

yeah but how is being dropped into eternal darkness supposed to make you smile?
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
stealthsmiler

SamSimkin wrote: yeah but how is being dropped into eternal darkness supposed to make you smile?
That's my point, being a way of disposing those who haven't been corrected properly would make more sense, also if they covered up the track behind enterprise and submission it would look like they have been "destroyed".
dazza4783

stealthsmiler wrote:
SamSimkin wrote: yeah but how is being dropped into eternal darkness supposed to make you smile?
That's my point, being a way of disposing those who haven't been corrected properly would make more sense, also if they covered up the track behind enterprise and submission it would look like they have been "destroyed".
Love the idea of the track behind enterprise being covered. Would really make Oblivion look intimidating and scary for people who have never ridden before. Would certainly add to the mystery of what happens once you drop into the hole.
Jack

stealthsmiler wrote: I think they should construct an indoor maze like The Sanctuary on the site and put new flats elsewhere (Dark Forest). The indoor maze could either be the introduction to Ministry of Joy getting you ready for The Smiler. Or it could be a test after The Smiler to make sure you have been corrected properly. If the latter was used, Oblivion could be re-themed (orange painted yellow) to be The Ministry of Joy's way of disposing those who haven't been corrected properly. This would give a really good overall theme for the area.
everything about what you wrote is brilliant, apart from, KEEP THE ORANGE! :P this was actually (if I remember rightly) a debate in the smiler speculation as to what would the area be re-themed to (although, that never happened, apart from the Alton Towers sign on X-Sector being changed to Ministry Of Joy) but every ride in X-Sector has black and the rides colour (Smiler yellow, Enterprise green, Oblivion orange) so I wouldn't think any colours would be changed for a while :)
Ripsaw Raver

Should I get this right..

I believe Oblivion is supposed to be more of a machine of Intimidation and Scaretactics. In others words, you must Smile or bad things will happen to you, and we're going to show you just what we can do. A sort of constant warning in your head. If I dont Smile TMOJ Will get me. Even down to the TV Screens in the queue, one very vital piece of Script.

"The choice to come here was not your own, its was Ours! It was placed into your brain by auto suggestion"
Submission was a machine which forced you into a situation where you would do anything to make it end...Submit to Joy

Enterprise was in essence the first testings of a Smiler based theory. Spinning the candidate round and round until their minds were pliable for infiltration. Not forgetting that as portrayed in the Smile. Always vids, Oblivion-Enterprise and Submission were effectively Sanctuary Tests, Which then got immortalised into Mechanical machines.

Personally I do like the idea of Oblivion being the reject bin sort of, but I kinda more like the idea of Oblivion being the machine used to punish those who defy Joy. Think of Room101 In 1984, an area to face your worst fears and to push you into a nightmare you have no control over. Loud Noises and falling are 2 primal fears everyone is born with and I feel it works very well to capitalise on a universal fear.  I just wish some of the screens would play messages like YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CONFORM and ACCEPT JOY. I like the idea of the Smiler logo being the last thing you see before the hole, like imprinting onto the mind. This is why you're here!

Anyways back on topic, I like the idea of a walk through, however I feel that putting another flat in Submission's place could be very easily themed. Think of an Advert, basically a MOJ public announcement FOR X-Sector. It shows Enterprise first, saying somthing like "We offer treatments for the whole family" Then to The Smiler, saying "SMILE. ALWAYS AND GET CORRECTED", "MARMALISATION IS THE KEY TO HAPPINESS" Then to Oblivion, with a darker tone "CONFORM TO JOY OR ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES" and finally to Submission, saying" One of our machines was somewhat defective in Marmalisation however.." Shoot to new ride in its place "This new Installation(Insert name) will make sure that the treatment received from The Smiler does not relapse" "What are you waiting for...we are ready for you!"
Last edited by Ripsaw Raver on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
stealthsmiler

jackandylan123 wrote: everything about what you wrote is brilliant, apart from, KEEP THE ORANGE! :P this was actually (if I remember rightly) a debate in the smiler speculation as to what would the area be re-themed to (although, that never happened, apart from the Alton Towers sign on X-Sector being changed to Ministry Of Joy) but every ride in X-Sector has black and the rides colour (Smiler yellow, Enterprise green, Oblivion orange) so I wouldn't think any colours would be changed for a while :)
I love the orange and black, I just figured as Enterprise will probably leave soon, it would make the connection between the two rides obvious and they would fit together.

I always though Blivy;s second half should be hidden to create more mystery behind where it has gone and as said before, makes it more intimidating (in my opinion).

Also the two themes of making people smile through fear and be the reject disposal could be combined, sort of these people resisted correction, now they need to be disposed. If you don't accept to being corrected, this will happen to you. Which then links back to covering the second half of the track as it shows that the people are fine and therefore the threat doesn't work.
Jayvk_

just putting this in but i was hoping for a KMG. Looks to big For Submission's space though so what about an air race?
Obviously not this year as Drayton Have just bought one but maybe next year?
stealthsmiler

Also Enterprise should get a hypnosis spiral put on as it would surely be cheap and it would sorta become part of The Smiler's theming also. I would look epic.

I know it's a really bad example but to give the jist of what it should look like,

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-dhTc ... rprise.jpg
Jayvk_

stealthsmiler wrote: Also Enterprise should get a hypnosis spiral put on as it would surely be cheap and it would sorta become part of The Smiler's theming also. I would look epic.

I know it's a really bad example but to give the jist of what it should look like,

Looks pretty cool
stealthsmiler

Zodiac wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote: Also Enterprise should get a hypnosis spiral put on as it would surely be cheap and it would sorta become part of The Smiler's theming also. I would look epic.

Looks pretty cool
It would look well good when its spinning!
NemeJaney

stealthsmiler wrote:
Zodiac wrote:

Looks pretty cool
It would look well good when its spinning!
Especially if lit up at scarefest!
Last edited by NemeJaney on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hari

Well, tbh it is Merlin. I sorta just told myself to not expect a ride now...
BUT, some will disagree, but I think that the path in between Enterprise and what was Submission, they should make a new entrance for the smiler. Maybe making it just curve around behind Enterprise and down into the pit. I've never liked the entrance to The Smiler and have always thought it looks a little bit tacky. Maybe they could make one in between those rides and have animated thing such as a spiral spinning above the entrance. It definitely means there is a lot more room there. The current entrance could be kept as a fastrack queue? Idk, but it will never happen.
Dom

If they do replace Submission with something, then to be honest I am not that fussed what, as long as it isn't themed around The Smiler. If they do that then X-sector may as well just be renamed to The Smiler world.
Kirsty25

Pizzazz wrote:If they do replace Submission with something, then to be honest I am not that fussed what, as long as it isn't themed around The Smiler. If they do that then X-sector may as well just be renamed to The Smiler world.
I would imagine that they'll theme it to MOJ rather than the Smiler...