If you owned ATR, what would you do with it?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Burniel

Ok, so what if I said remove the smiler and replace it with a secret weapon that in my opinion is better? After all, that could be great for business ...
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Danny

Ilovecoasters wrote: Ok, so what if I said remove the smiler and replace it with a secret weapon that in my opinion is better? After all, that could be great for business ...
I don't think throwing an £18 million investment away before it's a year old is a good investment in anyone's books. I think you may be fighting a loosing battle :)
Burniel

DannyG wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote: Ok, so what if I said remove the smiler and replace it with a secret weapon that in my opinion is better? After all, that could be great for business ...
I don't think throwing an £18 million investment away before it's a year old is a good investment in anyone's books. I think you may be fighting a loosing battle :)
I'm fighting my own battle and I shalt not lose! ;)

Ok, I would upgrade the smiler, making it smoother and easier to the eye (it's impressive at first, but then it's just a mess of steel)

That's the best I could do to suit my liking and my customer's liking ...
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Georgie

Right then, ignoring the arguments above, if I had an infinite budget, I would fund the creation of a time machine, then go back and approve the cross-valley woodie and since that means Rita wouldn't have been brought in as a replacement and the mandatory launch coaster quota wouldn't have been filled. I would then replace corkscrew with a Mack launcher similar to Helix and Blue Fire.

I would then see the development of a TH13TEEN - style family coaster with a more appropiate themeing for the target market before starting construction on The Smiler early so it opens on time.

Now at the present day, I would focus my attention on Gloomy Wood, which is sadly becoming nothing more than a path over to Forbidden Valley, especially with the similarities in theming with the Dark Forest (which "wood" still be a thing in my alternate universe).  With such a small area, anything big may be tricky so combining it with Katanga may be an option.

The flume will also be demolished for a new water coaster themed on a sea monster taking over Mutiny Bay, with an segment in an underwater glass tunnel, where the monster appears to be 'breaking through' the glass before the train takes a vertical lift up a lookout tower that spins the train around as if it was being pushed up by the waves, dropping the riders backwards.  And finally, I'd install a new B&M and focus on 3 things for the rest of the park: maintanence, maintanence and maintanence!
Last edited by Georgie on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
KoasterKraver

Refurbish Nemesis
Retheme, Refurbish And Extend Air
Refurbish And Extend Sub Terra
Build Another Ride In Forbidden Valley
Remove Rita
Refurbish And Extend Thirteen
Build Another Ride In Dark Forest
Refurbish The Smiler
Refurbish Oblivion
Build A Permanent Building For Several Scare Mazes
Refurbish All The Zones
Refurbish All The Rides
Refurbish And Extend The Waterpark
Refurbish The Resort Hotels
Add Another Hotel
Build More Secret Weapons
Extend The Theme Park
Ronnopm94

I agree. I would definitely up the fear factor on Thirteen and NST. Although I think Rita could still have a home at the towers just not where it is now.
KoasterKraver wrote: Refurbish Nemesis
Retheme, Refurbish And Extend Air
Refurbish And Extend Sub Terra
Build Another Ride In Forbidden Valley
Remove Rita
Refurbish And Extend Thirteen
Build Another Ride In Dark Forest
Refurbish The Smiler
Refurbish Oblivion
Build A Permanent Building For Several Scare Mazes
Refurbish All The Zones
Refurbish All The Rides
Refurbish And Extend The Waterpark
Refurbish The Resort Hotels
Add Another Hotel
Build More Secret Weapons
Extend The Theme Park
BenBowser

I would improve theming in almost all of the areas and move Towers Street to the new Gloomy Wood entrance and cut a path through the trees so you can still view the towers. I would then add a junior coaster to Gloomy Wood and turn Adventure Land into major shopping area. I would remove Rita and replace it with a multi launch ride through the woodland fitting in with Dark Forest. I wouldn't add another hotel just extend the existing ones, I would include waterpark entry with theme park ticked and build upon it's size. Would remove the flume and replace it with a Katanga Canyon flume, on a smaller scale.
Last edited by BenBowser on Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt(thesmiler)coleman

I would firstly re-track The Smiler to make the rough bits smoother. Then, I would move on to Rita and just remove it and replace it with a Mack Mega Coaster like Bluefire (with Inversions), and theme it to the Dark Forest theme, also put a flat ride in there. Then to Sonic I would remove that and rebuild it as a Mack Spinning Coaster (Euro Mir) and theme it to CBeebies Land. Then, call GCI and finally put a woodie in the valley (Duel Station) from Forbidden Valley to Dark Forest. Then, get rid of Nemmy Sub-Terra and put the old Huss Breakdance in there. On the Air car park I would expand Forbidden Valley with a B&M Wing Rider (or 4D if available) and retheme Air to suit Forbidden Valley. Then, move to The Flume and remove it and replace with a Mack Water Coaster (Family Friendly Of Course) and theme it to Mutiny Bay. Get rid of all the flat rides and replace them with other flats e.g:

Ripsaw = Huss Suspended Top Spin
Blade = S&S Screamin' Swing
Submission = A Magic Carpet Ride
Enterprise = Extreme (you know the funfair ride) but a theme park model

I would also put some sort of Drop Tower in the bottom of the valley (if any room from the GCI Woodie)

Also I put the shows on more frequently. :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: 8) 8) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Also at Scarefest I would get rid of the following mazes and replace them with my own:
The Sanctuary and Terror Of The Towers
But, I would keep The Carnival Of Screams and Zombies Scare Zone and turn Haunted Hollow into a scarezone  :D :D :D :) :) :)
Last edited by matt(thesmiler)coleman on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well well well. What do we have here then :P
Dom

I've been in and out thinking about this.

Firstly I would give the whole park the makeover it needs. This would be to give all the rides a re-paint, fix broken effects and just make everything seem better. Towers Street would get a makeover. Towers Trading Company would have just merchandise. Seperate shops would open to sell clothing and sweets.

Next to get my attention would be Katanga Canyon. I believe that this area should be extended and have a flat ride. This would be a topple tower themed around a Totem Pole and I would also add a dark ride themed around a mine or similar.

Next I would add a major Coaster, not sure which one, to Gloomy Wood to make it feel more of an area.
After this I would just see and play it by ear.
Last edited by Dom on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

2014: Cbeebies Land opens.
2015: replant ALL rides to freshen them up. Work to begin on SW8 which will be a water coaster on the flumes site.
2016: water coaster to open. General park freshen up.
2017: sonic is removed and work begins on a new family ride.
2018: sonics replacement is an indoor dark 4D ride much like tomb blaster/ toy story mania.
2019: work on SW9 begins, which is a wingrider placed in Katanga Canyon.
2020: SW9 opens in KC.
2021: quiet year. General maintenance.
2022: a top scan is added to dark forest themed as branches.
2023: CCL is re themed as a toy themed land. Like the toy story land as DLP, there will be large toy figures that will make you feel the size of a toy. No new rides, just current ones re themed.
2024: next generation woodie work begins as SW10.
2025: SW10 opens.
stealthsmiler

Phase 1, 2015- Alter the park, keep all current rides
- This would include the introduction of a teen price (12-16) and change the family ticket to allow teens eg a 5 family ticket would have max 2 adults then 3 child/teen.
- A general tidy up, basic maintenance
- Sub-Terra becomes part of the Nemesis queue line, back-story adapted so it flows
-New car park on whats currently over flow

Phase 2 - 2016 - The Dark Forest
- Rita would go through massive work including a modification to one of the air time hills so that its an inversion. It would get lots of theming and have tunnels and near misses. A back story would also be added emphasizing the
"you must escape". Also a new tree roots entrance to replace the tire. It would look like it belongs afterwards.
- A small flat ride (a spinning/swinging flat) near the entrance would be installed. It would be themed to look like its attacking the forest, trying to stop it reaching CCL. The theming would reach out towards CCL ending with a few roots stretching towards CCL to look like the forest is creeping out.
- A 13 style Duel will be added near 13 where riders are battling the forest and wraiths. Old Duel will close.
- The Dark Forest would be the focus of advertisements which would feature the new ride, the new Rita and end with 13 Dropping.

Phase 3, 2017 - Air and Gloomy Wood
- Air would get lots off new interactive features, New air tunnel. There would also be steam/heaters placed in front of it so that when you look at it from FV, its not 100% accurate to emphasis the whole oasis story.
- Duel would be dismantled and large pyramid would be constructed. The area would become ancient Egyptian themed and would include a new drop ride in the centre (going up to the top of the pyramid then deep down where riders will be sat in a tomb for 10 seconds.
- A motion simulator of an expedition into a tomb would be fitted inside the pyramid in one corner. Another corner would have an Egypt themed show (Ancient Egypt's got Talent with Egyptian dancing and stuff. Would be interactive,audience would have buzzers and be able to vote yes/no. PC adds up percentages, winner performs once more). Another corner would have Egypt styled arcade and then food plaza in final corner. Lots of theming so it doesn't look cheap and tacky.
- Sonic relocated just outside the pyramid and re-themed into a mummy's curse theme.
- Egypt focus of adverts

Phase 4, 2018 - X Sector and Adventure Land
- Additional theming added and old Blivy videos would be shown again.  Blivy rains would be replaced with new ones where the back row faces backwards.
- General update
-Adventure Land becomes family orientated with a circus, 4D cinema and a small family flat ride.
-Adventure Land focus of adverts

Phase 5, 2019 - SW8+9 (finally)
- Built on old Flume site. SW8 would be high thrill water-coaster and SW9 would be family flume style ride. Both Mutiny Bay style and intertwined. Family Flume would be more interactive, and give riders a choice of two paths to take.

Final Phase 2021/22 - Alton Village(begin 2021 but open 2022) + Camp (opened for 2021)
- Alton Village (no towers just Alton Village) will go ahead as originally planned and old Air car park will become campsite.
-Both focus of adverts AC 2021, AV  2022

Second mini development plan starts,

2023-2025, no changes, just maintenance

2026 - SW10 (final secret weapon before new code name starts) begins to be constructed, part of the water-park.

Further developments would be planned 2024
schmatt

General park touch ups, including major work on the smiler's queue line route and station theming as well as complete overhall of DF. Replace and add new flat rides across the park from children's in adventure land to high thrill flat rides in XS, DF and FV over the years.

As these are being added I would focus mainly on family attractions, including alot of enclosed attractions to help with winter openings. Extend CCL into coaster corner, following the 'Jazz land' layout however replace the large new dark ride with Spinball enclosed to create a dark coaster.
Add a train line along the service road to the West of the park connecting Cbeebies Land to CCL.
Extend Mutiny Bay out the back and add a large indoor/outdoor flume and replace the flume with a 'teen' coaster similar to thirteen.
Extend KC into the coach overflow car park with a ride/show similar to templo del fuego at Port Aventura as well as the next SW coaster and a large indoor play centre(temple concept in project dolphin)
Extend the water park with new slides and concepts taken from project dolphin. Enclose it all to create UK's largest indoor water park and up the advertising.
With all this year round operations will be much more of a possibility with a large number of indoor attractions at the front of the park.

These are some of my ideas I've jotted down in paint over the years;
Spoiler
CCL
layout
Train Route

Dark Forest
layout
concepts

Mutiny Bay
Last edited by schmatt on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bensaund

Love the idea of the green Rita track
If you go down to the woods today
Sr88

This assumes that planning is not an issue provided everything is below the tree line (rare exceptions allowed with dark green track). I also may have completely forgotten about the whole 'not over the top' thing ;)

3 new large roads (two of them being from Stoke-on-Trent and Derby)
New railway / reopening of old railway to get there – public transport is shockingly bad, especially this year.
New car parks
Relocated Air car park
Improved or replaced monorail (Doppelmayr Cable Liner instead?)
Relocated rubbish centre

New hotel / accommodation (Enchanted Village) – already being done
More hotel entertainment / activities in the evenings
New Forbidden Valley entrance for hotel users only

Existing cable car frequency sorted (always seems to be a bit random how the gondolas are spaced out), and also sped up
New cable car from Adventure Land to Cloud Cuckoo Land (Doppelmayr)
New cable car from Mutiny Bay to Katanga Canyon (Doppelmayr)

Everything not mentioned receives an upgrade if required

Adventure Land
Extend Sonic Spinball with a new chain hill just before the first end, and go a bit further and faster, and smoother, with the non-inverted loop (Maurer Söhne)
New young children's roller coaster (Mack)
New Speed Buzz flat ride suitable for all ages (KMG)

X-Sector / Renamed
Retheming and renaming of section to more friendly and crazy theme (to suit the Smiler)
Demolition of Enterprise
Demolition of Submission – already done
Oblivion will keep the vertical drop, but everything else will be new (name, theme, station, etc.). Floorless (and hopefully flawless ;) ) roller coaster, spreading around the entire section with multiple vertical drops and corkscrews, as well as going into the forest (B&M)
New Chaos style flat ride (the sort of crazy Enterprise that was built as a travelling fairground ride) in Enterprise’s place
New Experience flat ride in Submission's place (KMG)

Dark Forest
Rita extension (does another circle, with a 3rd train if possible) and partial retheming (dark green track? – Intamin)
New Superstar flat ride

Cloud Cuckoo Land
New children's caterpillar coaster, which sort of spreads over the whole area where people walk (Mack)

Area directly behind CCL
New section, with friendly, simple theming
New 4D rollercoaster built downwards, spreading around the entire section, interacting with other new roller coaster (S&S)
New general rollercoaster with corkscrews and inversions, interacting with other new roller coaster (B&M)
New King Loops flat ride (Fabbri?)

Forbidden Valley
Demolition of the Blade
Removal of Ripsaw (as much as I like Ripsaw in this very location it would have to be moved for a new rollercoaster)
Extension of Air from end with a new lift hill, to interact with a part of Nemesis and the new roller coaster, and retheming (B&M)
New super fast (no – really, super fast. Like, ridiculously.. neck-destroying fast.) launch roller coaster, setting off North West between Air, old Ripsaw, and the Skyride, going down to Katanga Canyon, interacting with the new roller coaster in the MB new section, and The Flume, before returning back up, interacting with Air once, then a secondary launch across the valley, interacting with Rita once, then back across to the start – a few inversions and banks but mainly up and down with very high speed (Intamin or Mack, more likely Intamin)
New Sicko flat ride in the Blade’s place (KMG)
New Tango flat ride next to Nemesis Sub-Terra (KMG)

Air car park / Aquazone
New section behind Air, with a water theme
Water Coaster (U shaped track) with a large variety of in lake and on track sections, waterfalls, etc., interweaving with other new rollercoaster
New general roller coaster (triangle track – Intamin) with many inversions, corkscrews, and 2x 80° drops, and a water spraying ring, interacting with other new rollercoaster
Replacement of entirely refurbished Ripsaw
New Top Scan flat ride
Maybe some other rides which I am yet to think of

Katanga Canyon
New Crazy Hoppers flat ride for most ages from young children

Mutiny Bay / MB New Section
Mutiny Bay split into two sections, with the new section having the Flume
MB New Section
New section have a fun and friendly but relaxed theme
Complete renovation and retheming of the Flume?
New inverted roller coaster (regular track – B&M) in new section, interacting with the Flume and new roller coaster from Forbidden Valley, and an 80° drop
New Extreme (the orbiter) flat ride in new section
stealthsmiler

After reading my last post I would do things quite differently now.

Mutiny Bay
I think there is great potential with this land which is why I love it. This would see the removal of the flume for a dark water ride like Valhalla. It would be smaller and compact with the biggest drop outdoors. It would also tell the story of Mutiny Bay which would be created with the ride. A new spinning coaster would also be located to interact with the outdoor part of the water ride. It would be quite long with a higher throughput. It would be themed around a pirate battle, would also possibly try to create some sort of worlds first out of it. The Blade would become pirate themed again and be located next to Battle Galleons.

Katanga Canyon
The rapids would be made a bit wilder and a B&M stand up would be added to the perimeter of the area. This would be themed around the wildlife around the African village and the station would be in Gloomy Wood.

Gloomy Wood
This would become the African wildlife outside the village (KC). The new B&M would have its station there and Duel would become some sort of 5D attraction to do with the animals in Africa.

Forbidden Valley
This would become Phalanx themed. The Blade which would be relocated to Mutiny Bay would be replaced with a smaller single armed S&S Screamin Swing. This would be a training test Phalanx does when training new soldiers. Ripsaw would be rethemed also to a Phalanx training test. Air would be rethemed to an extension for N:ST which is the escaped Nemesis baby attacking whilst mummy Nemesis is still tied up. Air would be Phalanx' secret weapon against it and the riders would be soldiers who are going ahead to fight the beast (A more detailed explanation is on 'new land ideas' thread).

Dark Forest
Extended to include Hex. Rita would be removed and relocated to Chessington or sold to BPB (when it removes a ride). A new multi-launch family coaster would replace Rita. It would travel the whole way around AT and themed around the escape from TDF, however it has been cursed and loops you back before being able to leave AT. it would be very air timey and ground hugging. It would also have one hidden barrel roll that cannot be seen from any path in the park.

X Sector
Disk'o coaster would replace Submission. A hypno disk added to Enterprise and it would be painted black. Oblivion would be rethemed to the disposal of failed advocates. It would recieve new black and yellow floorless trains with the back row facing backwards. All the track after the tunnel would be blocked from view to give the appearence of it actually vanishing.

Adventure Land
All rides removed. This would become a family area. It would have a large indoor entertainment complex built there to give some more diversity to the attractions. This would include a live theatre, a childrens indoor play area with vertical slides, a food court and a dodgems.

CCL and CL
These would stay the same with CCL getting some TLC.
Danny

Woow! They are some imaginative ideas! The only problem I see is that a disko coaster wouldn't fit in Submissions spot even if Enterprise was removed as well. That and the cost of the family launched that goes the circumference of the park :lol price would be through the roof! :)
stealthsmiler

Would a smaller disk'o coaster not work?? And yes the launch would be expensive, but it could be SW10, so AT splashed out to celebrate :D Or maybe just to Adventure Land and back.
Sr88

I think in mine I would also make CCL a little larger and put in another flat ride. Not sure what though!
Popweasel267

-Re-theme the whole of Adventure Land to Sonic the Hedgehog
-Have more events throughout the year
-Release a CD with all the park's ride themes on it
-Bring the bookworm back! (I think he's been removed for the construction of Cbeebies Land)
awsomelycoolboy

Goodness. I don't know where to start! I'll write it tomorrow. It will involve a lot of writing.