If you owned ATR, what would you do with it?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
nodestinyx

Stage one - Transportation, food and aesthetics
• Existing rides and attractions to get a re-furbishment, every ride to be re-painted, thoroughly cleaned and given new parts where needed, anything broken i.e effects and cameras to be mended.
• Improve the signs that are around the park, to ensure that they are clear and easy to read.
• Make sure that there is a sign at the entrance to each park area that shows a list of attractions in that given area.
• Have the Skyride re-routed so that there is a station in every area of the park, this would improve the footfall in areas that are quiet.
• Bring back the franchises such as KFC, McDonald’s and Burger King.
• Alcohol to be removed from the park catering/refreshment services.
Stage two - Family ties
• Re-theme of "The Flume”, I wouldn’t remove it however I would look at a new theme, such as Pirates. It’s one of a handful of rides where a family can go on it together, just them; to change or remove it would take this element away.
• Mutiny Bay to be extended to include The Flume, which may or may not receive a name change. 
• Sharkbait Reef to be extended slightly to allow for a larger indoor touch-pool section.
Stage Three - Pricing
• Following all the changes I would have already made, I would then look at the pricing costs. I feel that it costs too much to get into Alton Towers, especially when you take into consideration the cost of parking - therefore I would introduce new pricing bands.
• Adult £45
• Child £40
• Group of 3 (maximum 2 adults) £100
• Group of 4 (Maximum 3 adults) £150
• Group of 5 £200 (any additional members to the group charged at £30, up to a maximum of 8)
• Senior citizen, £25
• Disabled + carer (badge must be shown) £45
• Children under 3 and below 90cm – FREE
• Parking to be charged at £5 for every car on hard standing... any vehicle in an over flow or not hard standing be free of charge

More to come when I'm not so sleepy
Last edited by nodestinyx on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhino18

^Those prices are even more than it already is!
Ronnopm94

Rather than adding any new rides for the time being, I would spend time altering the experience of the current rides and perhaps updating them.

Similarly to a a previous suggestion, I would add theming to Airs tunnel including some screens and projections, and a lot more mist.

Oblivion would receive an upgrade. The queue and station buildings would be repainted a darker shade of grey, the cars would be fitted with speakers saying "Don't look down" (in car speakers may avoid noise restrictions thus avoiding complaints). The tunnel would feature orange strobes and lasers. Perhaps a strobe projection of Renny kruprinski.

The Smiler could be made more of an experience. The queue line could be altered to incorporate the sanctuary as a permanent attraction and prelude to the ride itself (optional of course) although this might be difficult given the location.

Rita would have a name change, a repainted and a major overhaul with the theming. I'd sort out that awful queue line to make it more linear. I think an inversion would be great. It would be good if instead of cars, you were riding on horses, evil supernatural horses, of course, similar to velocity at flamingo land. Would suit the theme of the area perfectly.

Th13teen would have strobes and projections in the backwards section. Perhaps some peppers ghost. And animatronics in the drop room maybe?

Give the runaway mine train more of a backstory. And make the tunnel it shares with Rapids more colourful and eventful. Maybe Jungle animals, foliage etc. which leads to...

... Rapids. Add much more scenery and events like the rapids found in WDW and Universal Orlando. Animatronics, proper theming , water effects etc.

Duel needs it's lighting or scenery altered to hide the zombie mechanisms. And perhaps a scenery change to keep it fresh. Maybe scrap the zombie cellar for zombie graveyard? Or a return of the swamp?The exit of the ride could be a lot more detailed aswell.

Hex could have a better ending in that it could have a dungeons esque scare part as you leave. Such as labyrinth or ghosts.

Rides that would see the Chop:- Submission and Enterprise
                                              The flume
                                              The blade
nodestinyx

rhino18 wrote: ^Those prices are even more than it already is!
http://www.altontowers.com/tickets/#ThemePark

No they aren't ???
Danny

I'd be classed as an adult and my price came to £36 pounds? So your figures are way more expensive!
nodestinyx

DannyG wrote: I'd be classed as an adult and my price came to £36 pounds? So your figures are way more expensive!
No they are not! try reading the website correctly!

if you pay now on the gate you pay £48 .... my prices on teh gate are cheaper .. and i would still allow 25% discount when bought online !
Danny

Well I done it via the website which is what you linked me to? So he price that your link offered was £36
rhino18

nodestinyx wrote:
DannyG wrote: I'd be classed as an adult and my price came to £36 pounds? So your figures are way more expensive!
No they are not! try reading the website correctly!

if you pay now on the gate you pay £48 .... my prices on teh gate are cheaper .. and i would still allow 25% discount when bought online !
Fair enough, but I would think that most customers would buy tickets online. Anyway, you didn't specify what method of ticket purchase.  :)
Burniel

1. I would stop it going down Thorpe's route
I wouldn't get too crazy over the secret weapons or there'll be no new family rides. Perhaps 1 new SW every 5 years with 1 or two Good Quality Family Rides in between and a couple of low investment years in between as well

2. I would build a woodie
Kind of the obvious. I would have to build it low(ish) because of the height limit but that will make it good for the whole family!

3. I'd take the prices down
On The Gate:
Adult: £35
Child: £30
Family of 3 (max 2 adults): £80
Family of 4 (2 Adults): £110
Family of 4 (3 Adults): £115
Extra People: £30pp

Booked Online:
Adult: £30
Child: £25
Family of 3 (max 2 adults): £70
Family of 4 (2 Adults): £100
Family of 4 (3 Adults): £105
Extra People: £25pp

4. Dump The Smiler
You'll either love me or hate me for saying that, there's no point in me giving reasoning
Last edited by Burniel on Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Danny

Ilovecoasters wrote: 1. I would stop it going down Thorpe's route
I wouldn't get too crazy over the secret weapons or there'll be no new family rides. Perhaps 1 new SW every 5 years with 1 or two Good Quality Family Rides in between and a couple of low investment years in between as well

Kind of the obvious. I would have to build it low(ish) because of the height limit but that will make it good for the whole family!

On The Gate:

Booked Online:

4. Dump The Smiler
You'll either love me or hate me for saying that, there's no point in me giving reasoning
I would assume that you haven't ridden The Smiler so can I ask for your reasons on getting rid of it?
Burniel

DannyG wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote: 1. I would stop it going down Thorpe's route

On The Gate:

Booked Online:

4. Dump The Smiler
I would assume that you haven't ridden The Smiler so can I ask for your reasons on getting rid of it?
Impressive on first sight, but overall has caused many accidents, and overrode the black hole, something I never got to try.

Call me hypocrite if you want, but I have no chance of changing people's opinion on the smiler.
Danny

^ ok I understand you never got to ride black hole, neither did I. However getting rid of it isn't going to bring it back. Also most rides, most well known is Air, suffered just as serious brake downs when that first opened. So would your solution be to get rid of that two. Look at it 11 years on, it mostly is fine.
Burniel

DannyG wrote: ^ ok I understand you never got to ride black hole, neither did I. However getting rid of it isn't going to bring it back. Also most rides, most well known is Air, suffered just as serious brake downs when that first opened. So would your solution be to get rid of that two. Look at it 11 years on, it mostly is fine.
My answer to this can be summed up in two further quotations:
Ilovecoasters wrote: You'll either love me or hate me for saying that, there's no point in me giving reasoning
Ilovecoasters wrote: Call me hypocrite if you want, but I have no chance of changing people's opinion on the smiler.
My point is, you've never walked in my shoes and I've never walked in yours, so question each other all we like, nothing will come out of it.

Sorry if I'm being a bit philosophical
Danny

^ ok I'm not saying we have to see each others situation. I just wondered if you had reasons, but I take from the reply there isn't really any.
Burniel

DannyG wrote: I just wondered if you had reasons, but I take from the reply there isn't really any.
Reason 1: It looks a bit messy
Reason 2: It's falling apart
Reason 3: It replaced a decent ride
Reason 4: It makes the whole park busier
Danny

^ you previously said its a impressive sight
2 bolts have fallen off. Slight exaggeration
The ride hasn't been working since 2005 which you pointed out you never got to ride.
The topic is about if you owned AT. Now if you owned alton towers you would want to park to be buzy, it's a business!
Burniel

KoasterKraver wrote: Your budget is unlimited, as long as you don't go over top with things.
My budget is unlimited I don't need the money
Danny

Ilovecoasters wrote:
KoasterKraver wrote: Your budget is unlimited, as long as you don't go over top with things.
Well I'd say destroying a ride not even 1 years old that is clearly making the park lots of money and popularity world wide as it's a worlds first. Now that is completely over the top. And it's in your quote.
Burniel

DannyG wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote:
Well I'd say destroying a ride not even 1 years old that is clearly making the park lots of money and popularity world wide as it's a worlds first. Now that is completely over the top. And it's in your quote.
Personal opinion tbh, but ok
KoasterKraver

Remember, this is not an arguing topic, it is a topic for discussion. So what what would you do? The Smiler will not be going as it would be bad for business. However a new, more impressive secret weapon or rollercoaster will be built within the next few years, hopefully! And remember don't go over the top with your additions and things you will remove from the park, thankyou.