If you could add one more inversion to ANY of the Top 6...

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
PhoenixStudios

...what would it be?

By Top 6, I'm referring to:
- The Smiler
- Oblivion
- Air
- Nemesis
- Rita
- TH13TEEN

Those are the roller coasters I think which would spark the most ideas (I.e. I haven't included RMT).

** Note: Of course this won't happen, it's just something you would dream about happening  ;) **

Personally ~

The Smiler - It's already pretty gimmicky enough, and I wouldn't want another inversion really. However if I there had to be one, I can only think of replacing an air time hill with a loop or something; the only way it would fit.

I wouldn't want it of course and it would probably stall.

Oblivion - Maybe follow in it's successor's footsteps? It builds up a lot of speed from the drop so it might make it round a dive loop if it wasn't too big; just something that makes it more special, as it's only trick isn't as great as it used to be.

Air - I wouldn't want the gentle nature of Air as a flying experience to be taken away, so I'd maybe just add another in-line twist somewhere.

Nemesis - Leave the beast as it is  8)

Rita - Take it down.

... No?

Just something as simple as a corkscrew maybe: it's thrilling and all, sure, but there's so much room for improvement, it's hard to enjoy it.

TH13TEEN - Difficult one as it is meant to be a family thrill coaster. I wouldn't add an inversion as such but a very heavily banked turn, which doesn't go completely upside down, but it would be past a horizontal bank.

Of course, these are just what you'd love to but won't see. Not every ride should have inversions obviously, this is just creative :P
*Credit to Lewis97 for the awesome Signature!
NemeJaney

Probably Oblivion. Nemmy is fine, Smiler has enough, Th13teen wouldn't suit one, Rita would make it uncomfortable and Air is for relaxing/sleeping on.
I just think a nice little inversion after having emerged from hole in Oblivion would be a nice touch.
Ripsaw Raver

Nemesis-Leave as!

Oblivion -hmmm to be honest I think it would detract from the experience, wouldn't mind seeing B&Ms take on a Cutback inversion though

Rita- 2nd hill into a long wide corkscrew

Th13teen- Again as said earlier, no inversions but some very steeply banked turn, somthing more to the likes of a small Stengel Dive

Air- Hmm not much can really be done, but I do love going backwards so after the last zero g roll and that dip near the queue I would have another fly to lie around the bottom turn near the car park, and then flip over on your front just as you're transitioning into the last turn.

Ok here's where I get backlash...maybe... For me I want one more on The Smiler. I just think after the double roll and into that tight 180 turn, that is just asking 1 final roll in the opposite direction, as the 2 rolls go to the right the turn then goes left just going all the way over for the final mind hit, lol.  I will say here also , I would change the cobra roll to a smaller version of the BananaRoll although I think a stall would maybe happen, saying that it clips the apex of the cobra roll with quite some speed
Last edited by Ripsaw Raver on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Danny

Nemesis- none

Oblivion-loop after drop

Th13teen- possibly a small, tame corkscrew

Rita- second hill become a zero g roll

Air- I'd love to see Manta's loops, it's hard to explain, where they go up a small hill then drop down half a loop and back up another half loop. :) however I know that could never happen as it's not big enough.

The smiler- leave the baby as it is.
JoeK

- The Smiler
  Haven't had the chance to ride just yet :cry: Queues were too big at this years Scarefest! But surely it has enough inversions already? :lol:
- Oblivion
  A loop would be cool, after the drop (while still underground) where the loop will poke out of the ground like an arc. The car will enter darkness after the drop, go back into the bright sunlight and then back into darkness again.
- Air
  Though a loop (like the ones in America, manta etc) would be cool, I don't think it would suit Air
- Nemesis
  She's perfect as she is  :lol: ;)
- Rita
  A zero g roll replacing one of the airtime hills would be amazing
- TH13TEEN
  Leave her as is, stay as a family sort of coaster
Last edited by JoeK on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoopyDan

The Smiler - They could do another inversion in the indoor section
Oblivion - A dive loop or immelman would be good.
Th13teen - Could have a corkscrew to be a first-inverting for a few
Nemesis - Seems fine as it is, maybe an inline twist before the brake run, but this might be a bit uncomfortable.
Air - The rolls on it are nice, but could have an inversion to make it a bit more exciting.
Rita - One or both of the hills could easily be turned into zero-G rolls.
rhino18

My answer to all of these really is, do they need one? But anyway:

Nemesis: No, it already has a nice amount.
Oblivion: No, it wouldn't fit and an inversion would also mean redesigning the car, due to the wheels not being capable to ascending/descending an angle just shy of 90*.
Air: Perhaps, an inline on the 2nd half. Perhaps.
Rita: It would have to be a zero-g type roll, but that would make it even more disgustingly rough than it already is.
The Smiler: Seriously? It's got FOURTEEN already.
Thirteen: Out of all of them, this one the most actually. Yes, it is a family coaster, but is marketed as a thrill coaster. Not that that matters. Anyway, what I'm saying is, family coasters ARE allowed inversions. Corkscrew was always marketed as a family coaster and that had 2 inversions. I'm sure a nice 'Colossus style' inline coming out of the indoor section would be pleasant enough. Or a Kanonen one, come to think of it..... ;)

Oh and in answer to dannyg.97's Manta statement, it is a Pretzel loop. :)

That would so not fit anyway.
Last edited by rhino18 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

rhino18 wrote: My answer to all of these really is, do they need one? But anyway:

Nemesis: No, it already has nice amount.
Oblivion: No, it wouldn't fit and an inversion would also mean redesigning the car, due to the wheels not being capable to ascending/descending an angle just shy of 90*.
Rita: It would have to be a zero-g type roll, but that would make it even more disgustingly rough than it already is.
Thirteen: Out of all of them, this one the most actually. Yes, it is a family coaster, but is marketed as a thrill coaster. No that that matters. Anyway, what I'm saying is, family coasters ARE allowed inversions. Corkscrew was always marketed as a family coaster and that had 2 inversions. I'm sure a nice 'Colossus style' inline coming out of the indoor section would be pleasant enough. Or a Kanonen one, come to think of it..... ;)
So I take it you mean an inline twist as you come out of the indoor section that would be go backwards then?
Last edited by Danny on Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhino18

^Yep! There would virtually be no difference in the sensation of the element.  :)
PhoenixStudios

rhino18 wrote: My answer to all of these really is, do they need one? But anyway:

Nemesis: No, it already has a nice amount.
Thirteen: Out of all of them, this one the most actually. Yes, it is a family coaster, but is marketed as a thrill coaster. Not that that matters. Anyway, what I'm saying is, family coasters ARE allowed inversions. Corkscrew was always marketed as a family coaster and that had 2 inversions. I'm sure a nice 'Colossus style' inline coming out of the indoor section would be pleasant enough. Or a Kanonen one, come to think of it..... ;)

Oh and in answer to dannyg.97's Manta statement, it is a Pretzel loop. :)

That would so not fit anyway.
This isn't really anything we'd / I'd like to see, it's just something you can think of. It's interesting to experiment with the idea  ;)
*Credit to Lewis97 for the awesome Signature!
Burniel

Nemesis - leave
Rita - Potentially
Thirteen - leave
Oblivion - Potentially
Air - leave
The Smiler - nobody would notice the difference!
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
lf2001

Nemesis - No, I like it as it is
Oblivion - Yes, would make it a bit more interesting
Rita - Yes, like Oblivion, would make it a bit more interesting
The Smiler - Nooo!!!!
Th13teen - Not really

EDIT:Oh, I forgot Air :| An extra inversion would be nice, it would add a bit more to the flying feel..
Last edited by lf2001 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedStar98

Nemesis- fine as it is
Oblivion- maybe, would probably suit another one most out of those 6
Rita- again, maybe, it could make it a little more exciting
Air- like Nemesis, is fine the way it is
The Smiler- already has enough, it would be difficult to tell anyway
Th13teen- potentially a little corkscrew, but I don't think it would suit it that well
rhino18

My god, what is it about Oblivion and bloody inversions. It's a dive machine, it is not meant to have inversions.
Danny

rhino18 wrote: My god, what is it about Oblivion and bloody inversions. It's a dive machine, it is not meant to have inversions.
How can you say that when most dive machines In the world DO have inversions?!?!
rhino18

^Yes, the larger dive machines (one at 41m and 4 at over 60m) do contain immelmann loops just after the drop (or drops in Griffon's case). These are used solely as a relatively compact way of turning the trains, whilst maintaining thrill and excitement. Haven't you ever wondered why they don't contain endless masses of loops?  :)
Danny

rhino18 wrote: ^Yes, the larger dive machines (one at 41m and 4 at over 60m) do contain immelmann loops just after the drop (or drops in Griffon's case). These are used solely as a relatively compact way of turning the trains, whilst maintaining thrill and excitement. Haven't you ever wondered why they don't contain endless masses of loops?  :)
We aren't asking for endless masses of loops. We saying add one inversion to it! It's the name of the topic!  It could be an Immelmann instead of a banked turn. Does the same job. :)
rhino18

^Yes, but Oblivion's only 20m tall above sealevel. If it was 50/60m, then yes, it may have an immelmann, but putting an immelmann onto a 20m tall ride would result in some nasty rollbacks, with immelmann inversions on B&Ms being at least 30m tall. Anyway, an inversion wouldn't fit, due to the park's boundaries being just behind Oblivion's exit turn and the wheels on the trains aren't designed to go anywhere past vertical, hence why the drop is only 87.9*, not 90*.
Danny

rhino18 wrote: ^Yes, but Oblivion's only 20m tall above sealevel. If it was 50/60m, then yes, it may have an immelmann, but putting an immelmann onto a 20m tall ride would result in some nasty rollbacks, with immelmann inversions on B&Ms being at least 30m tall. Anyway, an inversion wouldn't fit, due to the park's boundaries being just behind Oblivion's exit turn and the wheels on the trains aren't designed to go anywhere past vertical, hence why the drop is only 87.9*, not 90*.
Look, we know none of these coasters could have an added inversion, but that's the fun of the topic. We can be imaginative and as crazy as can be. We all know our ideas on here are mostly unrealistic but that's what the topics about. We act as if nothing would stop an inversion from going on the rides.
rhino18

^I am totally aware of that.
danny.g97 wrote:
rhino18 wrote: My god, what is it about Oblivion and bloody inversions. It's a dive machine, it is not meant to have inversions.
How can you say that when most dive machines In the world DO have inversions?!?!
First off, I was just simply expressing my opinion (which is actually a fact). Then you argue against my opinion on inversions and dive coasters. Sorry if you disagree with me, but you were the one that started arguing with me, not the other way around.  :)

Now, can we leave it there please?