Your own secret weapon design

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
RCandrew

I apologise if I make any mistakes but I've never started a discussion before!  :P

I just read someone write about how they were thinking of something as a new secret weapon, and I was thinking about it myself! So I was wondering if people would like to share their opinions/thoughts/designs of a new Secret weapon that they have thought of which Alton Towers could possibly use on a new roller coaster :) thanks!
Altontowersbarlow

Great topic  :)
RCandrew

Okay so I'll start with something I heard and will expand on it how I think it could work :lol:

I don't know if it is possible, but a B&M floorless coaster and then the trains have a similar mechanism as air and rotate so the track is below your head! Then some sort of half loop/inline twist etc gets you the right way up and it's an inverted coaster?! Could it be done?? :) this could happen in some sort of hidden tunnel then the train launches out as an invert then near the end goes back to normal before completing the circuit  :D opinions please ;) :lol:
Last edited by RCandrew on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCandrew

Someone please comment this is an interesting discussion I think  :oops:  :roll:  :lol:
Th13TEENGUY

A backwards vertical drop  :) :)
LCFC til i die
RCandrew

Th13TEENGUY wrote: A backwards vertical drop  :) :)
In the dark :)
schmatt

Always thought a coaster/dark ride hybrid would work well for AT. My idea would be a ride similar to Mysterymine at Dollywood themed to an African Diamond mine on the coach overflow carpark behind KC.

It will start off very similar to mystery mine up until the first lift hill. Which will be replaced with an elevator that can carry 2 cars up vertically whilst tipping slightly (scooby doo coaster AUS) Once at the top the two cars will travel backwards. The car at the back will wait until the first car has cleared the next break run(similar to saw) From here the train will do an indoor section almost identical to Saw's but backwards. A turn table will spin the car back forwards where it will then do a small drop into an underground launch out of the building. It will then travel an outdoor coaster section similar to Lynet's. After this the train will return back into the building where it copies MysteryMine's final section of an indoor beyond vertical drop and two inversions into the break run.

The trains will use the new lap bar restrains from Gerst with a mine cart theme and will either have 2 or 3 rows of 4.
Altontowersbarlow

schmatt wrote: Always thought a coaster/dark ride hybrid would work well for AT. My idea would be a ride similar to Mysterymine at Dollywood themed to an African Diamond mine on the coach overflow carpark behind KC.

It will start off very similar to mystery mine up until the first lift hill. Which will be replaced with an elevator that can carry 2 cars up vertically whilst tipping slightly (scooby doo coaster AUS) Once at the top the two cars will travel backwards. The car at the back will wait until the first car has cleared the next break run(similar to saw) From here the train will do an indoor section almost identical to Saw's but backwards. A turn table will spin the car back forwards where it will then do a small drop into an underground launch out of the building. It will then travel an outdoor coaster section similar to Lynet's. After this the train will return back into the building where it copies MysteryMine's final section of an indoor beyond vertical drop and two inversions into the break run.

The trains will use the new lap bar restrains from Gerst with a mine cart theme and will either have 2 or 3 rows of 4.
It is a good idea but I think Alton would have to make it original because by copying saw, Thorpe park, mystery mine ,Dollywood ,Lynet's and Scooby doo , movie world ,could be going a bit too far and not an original roller coaster. The Scooby doo drop backwards would be great , but then I think that Alton should just come up with their own layout for a roller coaster both inside and outside, so not to copy anyone else in particular. The worlds first could be anything AT come up with really, but I think how the roller coaster's theme would fit in to Katanga canyon is great and a great idea :)
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
RCandrew

The theme is a great idea, and the type of coaster! But I think most of the elements aren't worlds first although some might be?? They're still really good and would able good on the rollercoaster if something else was the secret element! :)
schmatt

There is nothing to say a SW has to have a worlds first element (take nemesis for example), just has to be a large scale investment, all of which so far have been roller coasters. Also my suggestion, although taking elements an inspiration from other rides, it would still give a unique experience and the majority of the public would not of experienced mystery mine or lynet due to the rides being abroad, however the coaster will definitely be compared to saw by the general public due to the indoor barrel roll and beyond vertical drop, yet they will probably still rate this coaster as better due to it having a longer indoor section including a backwards drop and inversion as well as a launch and longer outdoor section followed by the drop at the end of the ride. As for the layout of the outside section, it could always be changed to be more unique, I just chose lynet to describe how it could look due to the low height and compact footprint.
The main selling point of the ride will be the coaster itself, not focusing on any gimmicks although the ride does have a couple (elevator and backwards section) this will all be kept secret from the public to shock and surprise the rides, therefore coming off the ride and raving about it to others attracting more to visit the park.
RCandrew

schmatt wrote: There is nothing to say a SW has to have a worlds first element (take nemesis for example), just has to be a large scale investment, all of which so far have been roller coasters. Also my suggestion, although taking elements an inspiration from other rides, it would still give a unique experience and the majority of the public would not of experienced mystery mine or lynet due to the rides being abroad, however the coaster will definitely be compared to saw by the general public due to the indoor barrel roll and beyond vertical drop, yet they will probably still rate this coaster as better due to it having a longer indoor section including a backwards drop and inversion as well as a launch and longer outdoor section followed by the drop at the end of the ride. As for the layout of the outside section, it could always be changed to be more unique, I just chose lynet to describe how it could look due to the low height and compact footprint.
The main selling point of the ride will be the coaster itself, not focusing on any gimmicks although the ride does have a couple (elevator and backwards section) this will all be kept secret from the public to shock and surprise the rides, therefore coming off the ride and raving about it to others attracting more to visit the park.
I do love the idea! It will be like the smiler where it's just and amazing coaster, and the fact you have a few amazing elements would make it amazing beyond annoying they've done before :)
Danny

schmatt wrote: There is nothing to say a SW has to have a worlds first element (take nemesis for example), just has to be a large scale investment, all of which so far have been roller coasters. Also my suggestion, although taking elements an inspiration from other rides, it would still give a unique experience and the majority of the public would not of experienced mystery mine or lynet due to the rides being abroad, however the coaster will definitely be compared to saw by the general public due to the indoor barrel roll and beyond vertical drop, yet they will probably still rate this coaster as better due to it having a longer indoor section including a backwards drop and inversion as well as a launch and longer outdoor section followed by the drop at the end of the ride. As for the layout of the outside section, it could always be changed to be more unique, I just chose lynet to describe how it could look due to the low height and compact footprint.
Nemesis didn't have a worlds first?
RCandrew

True! It was European first inverted though!
scw55

I always thought the Free Fly by S&S (http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/ri ... s/free-fly) has great potential.

Drawbacks are potentially low through-put and 'wild-mouse' like layouts.

I think potentially they can yield innovative layouts and experiences.

It would be a unique riding experience (via the train) that would be welcoming to the family demographic. Not all SW's need to be hardcore thrill machines.
iBacon

scw55 wrote: I always thought the Free Fly by S&S (http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/ri ... s/free-fly) has great potential.

Drawbacks are potentially low through-put and 'wild-mouse' like layouts.

I think potentially they can yield innovative layouts and experiences.

It would be a unique riding experience (via the train) that would be welcoming to the family demographic. Not all SW's need to be hardcore thrill machines.
Just looked at the link and on the S&S website they list Screamin' Swing as a famliy ride!
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!
PhoenixStudios

schmatt wrote: There is nothing to say a SW has to have a worlds first element (take nemesis for example), just has to be a large scale investment, all of which so far have been roller coasters.
If you've read John Wardley's book, or seen the Q&A session with him on ThemeParkWorldwide, the only way they can get an idea through to development is if they have a unique selling point (I think?) and a killer image.

As John said in the TPW video, he wanted a woodie at Alton Towers, but because there was no World first element to it (no 'unique' selling point, it would just be an incredible ride), the Merlin board won't go any further with it.

Awful shame, really.
*Credit to Lewis97 for the awesome Signature!
RCandrew

PhoenixStudios wrote:
schmatt wrote: There is nothing to say a SW has to have a worlds first element (take nemesis for example), just has to be a large scale investment, all of which so far have been roller coasters.
If you've read John Wardley's book, or seen the Q&A session with him on ThemeParkWorldwide, the only way they can get an idea through to development is if they have a unique selling point (I think?) and a killer image.

As John said in the TPW video, he wanted a woodie at Alton Towers, but because there was no World first element to it (no 'unique' selling point, it would just be an incredible ride), the Merlin board won't go any further with it.

Awful shame, really.
I saw this, it is a shame! If the china rollercoaster had 15 loops, there would be no smiler? If air, thirteen, nemesis and oblivion were already done, they wouldn't be there! And they're some of the best rides ever, a great ride is a great ride it shouldn't have to have an element of specialness! A woodie would be good :)
owenhsmith1

A smiler themed ride like sonic spinball when the marmaliser actually does something to you for a time period

"Together We Are Bound For The Ultimate Correction. The Smiler. It's Time To Ride The Ride. It's Time To Smile! Do Not Resist. Join Us." - Miles Cedars.

Thanks to Lewis97 for the amazing signature! Smile Always!
Wedjie

I want something similar to air, that features a thirteen style drop (while facing the floor)
RCandrew

Wedjie wrote: I want something similar to air, that features a thirteen style drop (while facing the floor)
That sounds good! I really like the idea of a rollercoaster like air, yet the seats can change positions throughout the ride! So an invert that then turns to the floor and drops!