What will The Smiler be like in 20 years?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
BenBowser

^ I think he means that Oblivion (and well Nemesis and Air) are sturdy, reliable and in great condition. The Smiler on the other hand isn't.

Never has there been a structural problem with any of the B&Ms, but in its first year The Smiler had cracked supports, separated track and disappearing wheels...

I feel that should they remain popular, the B&M trio will last four or more decades, I'll be shocked if The Smiler lasts two.
lucozade

A dark ride.

I think it will be rethemed under cover when it starts looking tired. It is after all on the old beast/black hole site, sunken and very well suited to be covered (very small footprint for a RC) maybe it will have some pop out sections that break into day light.

I actually think that before the genius designer left, he planned it to be covered in a retheme. Queuing in the dark with coasters (maybe with headlights) screaming by overhead, would bring a lot of excitement to the ride after we all get used to it.
inFusion

Personally I've never encountered a Gerstlauer EuroFighter/Infinity that hasn't had any significant problems. They've all had some kind of major issue in their lifespan...
Danny

Rage at Adventure Island never has had any major issues, but maybe you just haven't encountered it.
inFusion

I know it exists, but I haven't seen it in real life. Never been to Adventure Island.
lucozade

It might sound odd to health and safety Briton kids, but I actually like the worrying wobble, unnerving vibrations as you lean against the struts waiting in the queue and stories of falling bolts...

Its dangerous and exciting. Rollercoasters when I was a kid were rattling badly designed death traps, and it was so exciting. Air is the worst RC I have ever been on, Its safe boring and uncomfortable in a effeminate I' go to the theatre' way.

I LOVED how brutal the corkscrew was, turn 12 on the smiler brought it all back... And I loved it.

The smiler made my fave ride since I was 9, Nemesis, feel small, old and a little tame. For me, it took AT 20 years to better it... Mostly by accident and bad construction adding to the excitement I havnt felt since Nemesis opened and I wore my biggest healed trainers to make sure I was tall enough.
SmilerLover

To be honest, The Smiler is still unlikly to be working in 20 years. However, I wouldn't be suprised if nemmy was still there!
Credit to NemesisRider for this awsome signature! :moj
TheBeast

Im withyou on this. Smiler will probably last 15 at best, its got too many structural problems. Who knows what they will do with that area tho
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
definedancing

I like how everyone is like, "ah, The Smiler will die a quick and painless death! Hmm, now what can we put in the empty space next?" :yes:
NemesisRider

The thing everybody is forgetting here is that The Smiler is a real crowd pleaser. Everyone in the general public that I've asked about The Smiler says they really enjoyed it. Now, if there are any structural problems then Merlin will sort them out. Yes, whilst it may not exactly be the most reliable of rides, The Smiler will probably last at least 20 years.
Sr88

Yes, even if it isn't the highest quality construction, if it is maintained well then it will be fine.
Liam.W

Lottie. wrote:20 times worse pain than it already gives.

Or... stays up as a structure.

:lol:
I don't think it gives any pain... :moj
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Morgan

Best case scenario: B&M refurb

Worst case scenario: No Smiler
Vladimir Bobinski

Sr88 wrote:Yes, even if it isn't the highest quality construction, if it is maintained well then it will be fine.
Maintained well? I'd love to know who did the winter maintenance then, today I found 2 different cars rougher than 21 year old Nemesis, which I don't even have to think about bracing for. By rough, I don't mean what the ride is suppose to be, I mean feeling the judder of the poor contact between wheel and track surface going through to my teeth!

On a good day it's only the last 2 inversions that a pulled off quite quickly that can catch you out.

I say the same of Colossus, I think it has a fantastic layout ruined by a painful ride experience.
Adam.W

Things would be ironed out, do remember that merlin are multi millionaires and they spent a whole load on the smiler, so they would maintain the ride.
Stan.H

Probably got new trains and it would be much suffer... ](*,)
scottwsmith

I can't imagine much would happen apart from it would just naturally get more unpleasant and the colours won't be as vivid.
TheOutpatient

It will stand for years if not decades without a problem
Nathan_Fisher

With recent events occurring, after just 2 years of operation, i dread to think what it will be like in 20 years if i'm honest!
Danny

TheOutpatient wrote:It will stand for years if not decades without a problem
Oh the irony...