Oblivion - Desperate re-theme needed!

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Dan

I think Oblivion needs to be left alone.

The overall design and theming of the ride is fantastic, and apart from the obvious upkeep it should receive it shouldnt be modified in any way.
leammiles

nicksy111 wrote: I think Oblivion needs to be left alone.

The overall design and theming of the ride is fantastic, and apart from the obvious upkeep it should receive it shouldnt be modified in any way.
Not even have the TV's replaced with flatscreens?
Dan

leammiles wrote:
nicksy111 wrote: I think Oblivion needs to be left alone.

Not even have the TV's replaced with flatscreens?
Nope.

It's rare that people will queue for long enough that they actually watch the videos, so why would Merlin part with any money to provide something that doesn't make a whole lot of difference?

If they were going to put flat-screens in, they would have done it with the track and station repaint before The Smiler opened.
TheOutpatient

lol they have put in flat screens
but I appreciate your point. I have seen the que there - it was on a scarefest day if that makes any difference.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Dan

TheOutpatient wrote: lol they have put in flat screens
but I appreciate your point. I have seen the que there - it was on a scarefest day if that makes any difference.
Lol, I'll be honest and say that I hadn't even noticed they'd been changed, probably because whenever I've been on Oblivion this year I've used the SRQ so just walk straight past them.
TheOutpatient

haha  :D
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
mrsmanics

I guess maybe you could argue that the theming needs updating, but to be honest, I love Oblivion's theme.  It's edgy and a bit frightening and I personally think it ramps up the excitement, whilst you're in the queue.  I'd hate to see it changed in a way that made it seem less imposing.  Oblivion is meant to scare you; it wouldn't do that if we added too many bright colours, bells and whistles to it!
"I'd love to stay here and be normal, but it's just so overrated..." ;)
Themeparksandy1981

Instead of doing a new queue line videos and adding new tv's couldn't they run them all on a loop system 1 after another on every screen so it doesn't matter why the queue is.
oliverdouglas22

1. Replace the TV's- new queue line video.
2. Repair the mist machines
3. Play the theme song and dont look down on the ride but only so the riders can hear it.
4. Freshen up the station and queue line
5. Paint the hole black with orange  lazers as you come out.
6. Add something to the brak run like in a tunnel with videos.
Danny

There's no way oblivion is being touched again for another few years, they only just refreshed it
Jamie

oliverdouglas22 wrote: 1. Replace the TV's- new queue line video.
2. Repair the mist machines
3. Play the theme song and dont look down on the ride but only so the riders can hear it.
4. Freshen up the station and queue line
5. Paint the hole black with orange  lazers as you come out.
6. Add something to the brak run like in a tunnel with videos.
1. Doesn't need doing, the current queueline videos are brilliant and still build the tension well after all these years.  I'd hate to see new videos!
2. This would be nice actually, as they aren't actually on that often anymore.
3. That would also be nice, I never experienced it before when it said it at the top but I imagine it did improve the experience.
4. Would be nice, but has only just been done really.
5. Would be quite cool, but can't see it happening.
6. Would also be nice, but won't happen.
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
Jack

Me at the name of this topic - :hano:

But seriously, Blivvy's theme is so Iconic that AT CAN NOT change it. The only thing I think will change is the queline vids :D
swalesuk01

But the videos are also part of the ICONIC image of Oblivion
SPAD

ryanlovesaltontowers wrote: I think perhaps to improve Oblivion I would remove the floor of the car (similar to Krake) this would give the ride an added thrill without it becoming a gimmick, I think they may have done this to a similar ride in America to improve the experience. Other improvements I would make would include the refurbishment of the queue line, installing some lighting, themed paving, original queue line shop reinstated.
Sheikra in Busch Gardens, Tampa is a floorless dive coaster!!
SMILE - ALWAYS!