Oblivion - Desperate re-theme needed!

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Alex.D

Well, Oblivion's theme was made when Jungle was almost finished its transformation into D&B. So it is technically Techno jungle. :P And it also sound good with the sax in it. Makes it less harsh and flow a little better.
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
Jack

I like the fact that the sax is there also, it gives the soundtrack a difference, and why would AT create something that sounds exactly the same as everything? they don't ever do that
JayTricky

Logo change?

You crazy?

By far one or the most iconic and best roller coaster logos in the world, never mind AT.
Ripsaw Raver

All i would want to see is a MOJ logo somwhere not the smiler logo but the MOJ one. And some MOJ/Sanctuary style videos. After all i see Oblivion as the MOJs weapon of Fear against those who refuse to comply. Almost an execution if you will, With Enterprise and Submission being torture devices to get someone to conform And the Smiler well thats the biggy you Survive the torture and the threats and go straight in for all out Marmalisation. Maybe just show the clips from with DONT LOOK DOWN MILES in the queue
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
tallicay2k

JayTricky wrote: Logo change?

You crazy?

By far one or the most iconic and best roller coaster logos in the world, never mind AT.
Yea!! *high fives the man*
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
TheOutpatient

I think the cladding has been fixed/updated. Looks pretty good.
Love that area.

Oh and I don't think it needs a retheme cause it has an iconic status but I welcome expansion on the theme....depending on what that might be.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Thorpe Towers 13

mac359 wrote: I'd like to see some orange strobe lights in the tunnel maybe? 8)
This would make me smile :) no pun intended but could somehow be linked to the smiler more there perhaps?
hands in the air and scream!
Alex.D

No lights in the tunnel. It is meant to be a drop into Oblivion. Eternal darkness.
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
Thorpe Towers 13

very true point there :) but still maybe a seasonal addition to the ride theming? Halloween maybe?  its an option
hands in the air and scream!
Luce

I love Oblivion's theme and personally I prefer the theme as it is.  It's pretty intimidating when you see it for the first time and I reckon it fits perfectly :)
RITA123

Oblivion's theme is great.The only thing I think needs changing is the T.V's and adding backwards seats :twisted:

Credit to Lewis97
DrReeve

AltonOctopuss wrote: Here are some Ideas I think would be good:

1) Longer holding brake
2) Dont look sound ( May cause problems with the Ropers  :evil:)
3) orange Stobe lights in tunnel
4) Backwards car option (Like swarm)

However I really like the current theming and logo and should be kept :)
The holding brake being longer would be the only thing that we would need.

Strobes? Lets drop into a dark. I mean *Bright* tunnel.

What else do you guys want to do to it replace it with an apple coaster. (a coaster that has a huge apple in the middle which is often filled with gum and rubbish
Image credit to Lewis97
Burniel

AltonOctopuss wrote: Here are some Ideas I think would be good:

1) Longer holding brake
2) Dont look sound ( May cause problems with the Ropers  :evil:)
3) orange Stobe lights in tunnel
4) Backwards car option (Like swarm)
However I really like the current theming and logo and should be kept :)
Would dislike a backwards car, you wouldn't be looking down. Orange strobe lights aren't really needed. Wouldn't mind the don't look sound though.

The longer holding brake is an idea, but what about a randomised holding brake? (The current length being the shortest)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
ryanlovesaltontowers

I think perhaps to improve Oblivion I would remove the floor of the car (similar to Krake) this would give the ride an added thrill without it becoming a gimmick, I think they may have done this to a similar ride in America to improve the experience. Other improvements I would make would include the refurbishment of the queue line, installing some lighting, themed paving, original queue line shop reinstated.

Oblivion doesn't need retheming, it holds the whole of X-Sector together, and in my opinion its the Smiler that doesn't fit in.

The queue line would have new, larger TVs and have the same videos played as these do not need to be changed. The two TVs above the station would be replaced by a long thin LED set of panels (similar to marmaliser screen) showing a remastered version of the station video, i would also replace any broken speakers in the Oblivion area and increase the volume of the station ones, as in recent years they seem to have decreased a lot.

Also, restore the Oblivion concrete entrance archway!! Beats the Smiler's ridiculous yellow box any day!
Liam-AltonTowers

I think more theming elements and an interactive queue line is all they need really to make it better than it already is. Plus repainting certain areas of the queue line as some areas are starting to look old and outdated.

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
riley_h96

I think a 50s/60s theme would fit. The Smiler is already based around mental asylums of that time. Oblivion could become "Bowled Over" and the seats are skittles being knocked down with rock n roll music, like Stealth at Thorpe Park. Blue track for the newly themed Oblivion as well.  :)
TheOutpatient

I'm not sure where but I actually do feel a slight 50's vibe somewhere in the Oblivion fabrications.
If they plonked a 50's TV in the station, it just seems like it would work. I don't know why.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Shutterbug

I don't agree with a whole overhaul on the theming. I like the pre ride videos although I've never queued long enough to be able to watch them in the queue. The colour scheme is iconic as is the logo. You are falling into oblivion, oblivion is black and nothing and I feel strobes would completely take away from this.

However, saying all that I do think the music could be changed. It's so horrifically 90s techno but I don't associate it with oblivion for positive reasons. That could definitely be changed!!!
Jamie

Oblivion doesn't need a retheme!
A clean up would be nice (further than the one it had this year, for example fixing the disco ball thing), but apart from that it should be left as it is.
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
leammiles

I love Oblivion, as a rollercoaster it won't outdate for a long time.

The theme won't outdate for a long time either.

However, the acting in the video does feel a bit too cheesy/early doctor who.  The writing for the videos is perfect, just not executed that well.  I do remember a time when it was intimidating and slightly scary, but not so much now.

If I was given a large budget to change the ride I wouldn't change the ride, or the seating to be floorless or backwards...I'd re-record all the videos to be a bit more sinister, put in flat screen TV's and extend the tunnel all the way back to the station.

This would give two effects, firstly, as a spectator...once the train drops into the ground...you don't see it re-emerge.  And secondly as a rider, it stays dark longer, and you lose your senses.

Lights could be added in a spiral around the bend to make it feel like the tunnel is spinning, or make you feel like you are going upside down.

It would stay dark with the odd flashing light all the way to the station with possible whisper sound effects like... ''did we make it?''  ''are we lost?''

Never going to happen though