My idea for a Smiler 4D cinema in X-Sector

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
DrCalman42

I've been thinking very recently about something I think would be pretty cool: A Smiler themed 3d cinema with hallucinatory and physical effects, in place of Submission. Because the area taken up by Submission is really small, it would have to be small in comparison with the ice Age one.
Any expansions upon the idea or constructive critisism are completely welcome.
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort and enjoyment.
Owen

What and have a capacity of two people at once?
DrReeve

Personally once submission does go I would say it would be replaced by a new flat ride offering something new.
The site is tiny meaning the capacity would be small.
Image credit to Lewis97
TheOutpatient

I think you've got quite a bit of space there but not enough for a large throughput cinema. Lets say you can clear some more space (expensive I reckon) what kind of new edge would you give to the 4D cinema?

I do like the idea of mixing physical effects with 3D projection but I tend to think more along the lines of a dark ride where in parts (important: only in parts) do you put on some 3D glasses.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
J_Baggie

I'd like to see a smiler themed walkthrough attraction similar to hocus pocus hall at chessington. Could be themed around the ministry of Joy HQ
West Brom til I die!
DrCalman42

TheOutpatient wrote: I do like the idea of mixing physical effects with 3D projection but I tend to think more along the lines of a dark ride where in parts (important: only in parts) do you put on some 3D glasses.
That's a great idea, but what sort of dark ride do you have in mind? Do you mean a Vekoma Madhouse like Hex, or something else?
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort and enjoyment.
SamSimkin

I think in the correction block there should be a 4d cinema explaining the marmilaser effects.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
TheOutpatient

DrCalman42 wrote:
TheOutpatient wrote: I do like the idea of mixing physical effects with 3D projection but I tend to think more along the lines of a dark ride where in parts (important: only in parts) do you put on some 3D glasses.
That's a great idea, but what sort of dark ride do you have in mind? Do you mean a Vekoma Madhouse like Hex, or something else?
Just a train of some sort, but that's also interesting.

It's really not too much to ask people to take on/off the glasses a few times.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
DrCalman42

TheOutpatient wrote:
DrCalman42 wrote:
Just a train of some sort, but that's also interesting.
Maybe a Hex-style ride could work, thinking about it. Depending how fast the room spun, there could be the same kinds of effects that feature on the Marmaliser, and a tiny walkthrough section not unlike The Sanctuary in terms of theming, so you get a pre-ride story like Hex. Also, depending how large the walkthrough would be (not huge), it might not take up  too much space.
TheOutpatient

Actually after a little bit of thinking a 4D Hex style ride could really work - this is how I see it:

First let me say - the possessed tree root (physical prop) underneath the swing (,and it IS under the swing, though I barely ever think of it like that,) is a great prop and I wouldn't want that to leave in favour of what I'm going to suggest at all - I'm really thinking about other parks.

Now, instead of the tree roots, you could have a 3D projection screen (it requires a special screen to preserve the polarization of the projected light, otherwise you could do stereoscopic projection mapping -though wait - you actually can with shutter glasses but the glasses cost a lot of £££...)
Anyway, so you have this screen under the swing so that at the climax of the ride when we go all the way upside down and are held there, the screen alights with some themed 3D projection. For example: You could have the flooring and the earth give way and open into Hell with all the bricks and mud falling into it.

Back or front projection can be used as you could have a projector where the chained branch is, the swing is actually well shaped to accommodate the beam. You stop the ride in the middle for to announce "please put your glasses on now" - like I said, I don't think its too much to ask of the GP at all.

There's really quite a workable idea here, but like I said not for Hex - Hex is FINE.

How were you thinking of implementing the marmiliser type effects?
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrCalman42

TheOutpatient wrote:
How were you thinking of implementing the marmiliser type effects?
Possibly projecting the Hypnotiser images onto the walls, and using the same system as the Ice Age cinema to spray guests.