Duel Replacement?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
TowersManiac0110

What do you think duel should be replaced with? Discuss below.
My idea:
Bring back the old haunted house. I never got to ride it... :(
bensaund

Unless they can theme it to something epic like Dr Who, they should leave it as it is or put it back to the Haunted House.

I have always hated the name Duel, why didn't they call it Haunted House 2 or something.
If you go down to the woods today
lucy2244

I like duel! but I think the shooting is a bit gimmicky and means you don't get the intended fear or take in the brilliant effects of the 'haunted house'. I'd like to see a separate attraction- but wouldn't want it replaced because it's so much fun!
TowersManiac0110

lucy2244 wrote: I like duel! but I think the shooting is a bit gimmicky and means you don't get the intended fear or take in the brilliant effects of the 'haunted house'. I'd like to see a separate attraction- but wouldn't want it replaced because it's so much fun!
Yeah, true. Duel's fun, but it needs a prequel ride, like Dr Nicholas's first attempts and then it leads up to a scene in the woods and it reveals what happened to him.
Themeparksandy1981

I think they really need to Market it more even have the staff dressed as staff of the house. It really needs to include no zombies and more ghosts and surprises. They could include the people you see on the Haunted Hollow walkway. Theses could be all ghosts living in the house.
J_Baggie

I'm a huge fan of duel but I also love the haunted mansion ride at disneyland paris. I feel like one of the reasons the haunted mansion works so well, is because the theming is amazing and the staff really do well in keeping in character. So I agree with the poster above; if the staff in duel were dressed as butlers or something then the overall experience would increase a little bit. But also the shooting is great for having a laugh and a competition with other people in your group but I believe duel was scarier, and therefor more enjoyable as the haunted house.

I feel if they can't bring back the haunted house, step up duels theming and add some more effects/rooms/better scares
West Brom til I die!
Matteh

Duel is amazing, it should never be replaced. However, giving it a but of love and attention theme and decoration-wise  wouldn't go amiss.
Liam B

for duel live there was a butler at the front door that gave you a little breifing about the ride. That was quite a nice addition but I doubt they would do it to such an old ride just all the time. I still love duel and yeah it could do with a wee touch up but I don't think anything serious will happen to it in the near future (unless they have decided sw8 is going to just sit right on top of it)
Burniel

I don't see why duel should be replaced, it's a great dark ride for families. I don't see anybody complaining about tomb blaster at CWoA, and the differences are minimal apart from the fact that tomb blaster has much longer queues.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
bensaund

Tomb Blaster is inferior to Duel,.

With Duel you can use the guns or sit back and relax, the experience is good either way.

If you go on Tomb Blaster, you have to use the guns as the ride is really boring without them

But I'm not going to put Tomb Blaster down too much, Laser Raiders at Legoland has to be the biggest disappointment in ride history for me, just after CCF. If any of you go, avoid it like the plague, you will thank me for it if you wait hours for it and come off thinking "Is that it".
If you go down to the woods today
Burniel

bensaund wrote: Tomb Blaster is inferior to Duel,.

With Duel you can use the guns or sit back and relax, the experience is good either way.

If you go on Tomb Blaster, you have to use the guns as the ride is really boring without them

But I'm not going to put Tomb Blaster down too much, Laser Raiders at Legoland has to be the biggest disappointment in ride history for me, just after CCF. If any of you go, avoid it like the plague, you will thank me for it if you wait hours for it and come off thinking "Is that it".
AGREE! I have waited an hour and a half in the past for laser raiders, and yet just 5 minutes for duel, and duel is the better ride by far.

I still stand by what I said earlier: duel does not need a replacement! Like said in the quote above, tomb blaster is inferior to duel, and I don't see many topics in this forum saying tomb blaster should go.

I would also agree that they should get the staff in the appropriate clothing.
Dom

duel is one of those marmite rides in my opinion.
it was better as haunted house but it still has so much potential to be a better ride.
the guns were an interesting addition but pointless.
i would like to see them gone as well as all the red lights.
they ruin the whole ambiance and because you get so involved in shooting the lights you tend to miss some of the features.
so loose the guns and the lights and add more features and effects and upgrade the current effects so they all work.
TowersManiac0110

Ilovecoasters wrote: I don't see why duel should be replaced, it's a great dark ride for families. I don't see anybody complaining about tomb blaster at CWoA, and the differences are minimal apart from the fact that tomb blaster has much longer queues.
neither do i, i just heard rumours of a replacement and made this topic. i love duel and really hope it stays, but it's always good for a refurbishment/retheming.
TomL

I would love to see a little rollercoaster put in there! A lot like Van Helsing's Factory at Movie Park Germany. Keep the effects but just add a little gerst bobsled! Image image credit: Roller coaster database
Last edited by TomL on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
cookiee_munster

i'd like to see a more magical themed dark ride more for families, with interactive and 3D elements.

Monster's inc Ride & go Seek in tokyo disneyland is an awesome example of a dark ride meets interaction, you have to use special flash lights to uncover certain elements hidden away. ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJUcMFZV60E

combine that with scenes created in 3D i think could make a cool dark ride.

The whole ride could be about a journey into an enchanted forest to go and find all sorts of strange beasts and other magical beings.

you could keep the house facade but just theme it to some sort of intrepid explorer who's settled down in this wood because of the strange going's on he's been hearing about and so to continue his research needs your help.

i think that way, it adds more of a magical theme, but lessens that kind of dark/malevolent theme the park seems to have been leaning towards over the years.
Dom

TomL wrote: I would love to see a little rollercoaster put in there! A lot like Van Helsing's Factory at Movie Park Germany. Keep the effects but just add a little gerst bobsled! Image image credit: Roller coaster database
This would be a cool idea. I just don't know what space there is.
Burniel

Pizzazz wrote:
TomL wrote: I would love to see a little rollercoaster put in there! A lot like Van Helsing's Factory at Movie Park Germany. Keep the effects but just add a little gerst bobsled! Image image credit: Roller coaster database
Yes it would be a bit of a tight squeeze.
Thorpe Towers 13

TowersManiac0110 wrote:
lucy2244 wrote: I like duel! but I think the shooting is a bit gimmicky and means you don't get the intended fear or take in the brilliant effects of the 'haunted house'. I'd like to see a separate attraction- but wouldn't want it replaced because it's so much fun!
Yeah, true. Duel's fun, but it needs a prequel ride, like Dr Nicholas's first attempts and then it leads up to a scene in the woods and it reveals what happened to him.
Very much a fan of this idea! I hope they do something to spruce it up a little and not just all out demolish it  :shock: that would be tragic! (leaving sub terra as the dominant dark ride...hell no!)
hands in the air and scream!
Benji

Ilovecoasters wrote:
Pizzazz wrote:
Yes it would be a bit of a tight squeeze.
Tight squeeze? The indoor bit for duel is probably longer than X at Thorpe park

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
Themeparksandy1981

Right going back to my idea about adding the ghosts that you meet in the haunted Hollow. Now they should remove all them Zombles and add projectors hidden out of view of guests. Like with the cook they could build a kitchen scene. The gate keeper can fit perfectly in the grave yard scene. At the end they could add them all and include them on the photo you can buy.
I think all this and projectors would cost less than £100000. Designing what the ghosts do on computer would be where the most of the costs will go.