If you had to, which ride would you remove?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

If you had to which ride would you remove?

Oblivion
1%
Rita
9%
Air
1%
Nemesis
3%
th13teen
4%
Smiler
1%
Mine train
6%
Flume
55%
Sub-terra
19%

Total votes: 210
PhoenixStudios

neontrix wrote: Rita - It's overrated, doesn't fit with the theme of any existing areas, is boring and wasn't thought out. And with that poor confused ride put out of its misery, there's a lot of space freed up for some interesting flat rides in the dark forest that actually belong and make sense.
They kind of had one chance for a launched ride, and without John Wardley's mind behind it it was somewhat 'botched.'

If they were to remove it that would leave just TH13TEEN there which is a family ride (A family ride in an area called the Dark Forest..)

Unless there was to be ANOTHER complete re-theme of the area.

And plus, if they were making a thrill ride they'd be under great pressure to top The Smiler.
*Credit to Lewis97 for the awesome Signature!
Owen

Ilovecoasters wrote:
jackandylan123 wrote:
Sam198 wrote: Rita. It's a turd.
Sorry, but I disagree
Right behind you on that one, jackandylan123!
Sorry but if you haven't even rode the ride, it's not completely right that you should comment about the ride experience (because, quite frankly, it really does, at the moment look like a turd) no offence but its true

PhoenixStudios wrote:
neontrix wrote: Rita - It's overrated, doesn't fit with the theme of any existing areas, is boring and wasn't thought out. And with that poor confused ride put out of its misery, there's a lot of space freed up for some interesting flat rides in the dark forest that actually belong and make sense.
They kind of had one chance for a launched ride, and without John Wardley's mind behind it it was somewhat 'botched.'

If they were to remove it that would leave just TH13TEEN there which is a family ride (A family ride in an area called the Dark Forest..)

Unless there was to be ANOTHER complete re-theme of the area.

And plus, if they were making a thrill ride they'd be under great pressure to top The Smiler.
They wouldn't re-theme it, after all the work put in! Although I do think the entrance should be moved to where hex is, as hex really fits in with the theme, (I also heard TH13TEEN is a continue to Hex) just a thought
RCandrew

I think Rita should not be removed!
>it's an amazing ride, obviously, it gets some of the biggest queues in the park even if it has a slightly slow throughput! The launch is one of the special parts of the roller coaster options at AT and people love it!
>the track is amazing and I just love the look of it! It actUally looks massive every time I see it throughout days there it looks bigger than ever, it is quite a beast! The whole park wouldn't be right without it!
>saying that, I obviously think the roller coaster itself fits in and makes it an amazing area of AT, and the theme has gotten better but is still off! If they completely changed the cars to some sort of tree themed car, or make it seem like you're escaping from the trees! By doing this the station could also be re themed and the loading area could even be put inside. This would give the perfect opportunity for the riders to be escaping from the trees of the dark forest as fast as they can!
And wallah!! A ride that would fit and be loved...

I wish!
riley_h96

Tbh, no rides need to be removed... the WHOLE park except Dark Forest and especially X-SECTOR and Forbidden Valley need to be rethemed... it all looks tired!!
Jack

riley_h96 wrote: Tbh, no rides need to be removed... the WHOLE park except Dark Forest and especially X-SECTOR and Forbidden Valley need to be rethemed... it all looks tired!!
STAY AWAY FROM FORBIDDEN VALLEY AND X-SECTOR OR YOU DIE A SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATH :burn: but a REPAINT of would be good though
Whoguru5

Tbh the flume doesn't need to be removed (but i voted for it anyway as i like the other rides more  :P ) but it needs more of a re theme to fit in with mutiny bay, that way we kill 2 birds with 1 stone 1: spruce up the flume 2: give the whole mutiny bay area a "new" ride.

Thanks to lewis97 For the signature.
obliviongirl

Sub-Terra. There's no way I will ever ride it (I know you say it's not that scary, but I still absolutely hate stuff like that), so I'll just be selfish and remove it. :P
AltonTowersLiam

The Flume to be replaced with an updated, well themed water ride. Ideally something like either Journey to Atlantis at SeaWorld or Poseidon at Europa Park. Many parks have already proved that theming around pirates can be well executed such as Magic Kingdom with Pirates of the Caribbean and on a lesser scale Pirate Adventure at Drayton Manor which would mean that if done correctly, the new ride would fit right in to Mutiny Bay.

However I am aware that these watercoasters would cost a fortune but there are many advantages to installing one such as the need for water rides on park to create diversity within the ride line-up, the fact that it would be built on the existing site of a log flume and that it is a family attraction that provides enough thrills to cater for everyone.

A quick note on Rita, I enjoy the actual ride and the thrill that the launch provides even if the ride length is too short. However, a change of audio and a few branches around the ride doesn't constitute fitting in with the theme of the Dark Forest in my opinion. Admittedly the 'you must escape' line works well but I believe that a theming overhaul needs to occur including the cars, station and ride entrance being tweaked and perhaps a name change, I remember reading a while back someone suggested calling it 'Escape' which fits quite well.

Credit to lewis97 for the signature and Danny for the avatar
dementedde

I picked the water flume. It looks like something out of a travelling funfair! Something that actually could be packed away for the winter and put up again ready for the summer... Yes, I know it's much more complicated than that before someone starts getting trigger happy... Basically, it needs something much more special to it. A total revamp is in order.
JammyBand

The flume, but not because I don't like it. Its a fun ride and enjoyable. I decided to look at this question from a business point of view. Based on that, I picked the flume, due to the huge amount of space it would give! They could fit two Smilers on that plot of land. I would like the flume to be replaced by another log flume in the near future, with a smaller footprint (without that stupid windy bit), well-established theme and then, a new big roller coaster or ride to fill the extra space. I do not want Alton Towers to not have a log flume. Every theme park should have a log flume, and Alton Towers is not the one to miss out having one. I think that land has a lot of potential!
Thorpe Towers 13

Flume because though its a good old log flume and one of the originals...it needs either a depserate re vamp or new ride.
hands in the air and scream!
DontLookDown

I would have to say The Flume, even though it's a brilliant ride and EVERYBODY can enjoy it, it's getting a little too old :/
Transgender and proud :D
MizzHanza

I hope to god everyone who voted for The Smiler, Nemesis, Oblivion, Rita and Thirteen was joking. They are the best rides in the whole damn park!  :evil:

Anyways I voted for the Mine Train. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that it's the oldest ride in the park. It's not even that good and is getting pretty old now. They should replace it with a good old wooden coaster, that would bring something new and different to the place and would go with the theme of Katanga Canyon.
I went to OBLIVION and back, faced my own NEMESIS and it's origin. I flew through the AIR, I played with SONIC but was cursed with a HEX from the number THIRTEEN. I was the QUEEN OF SPEED but most of all I was a SMILER
Jack

^ Rapids and flume are the oldest, actually. And RMT is a hell of a load better than Flying Fish ;)
GreatCatsby

Take down Sonic Spinball. It's sitting pointlessly in the smallest area of the park, so it might as well be replaced by a taller, water-based ride or something. Also, following that addition, they should just make Adventure Land a part of Mutiny Bay and put a pirate-themed playground there.
GreatCatsby: Needs help implementing Sig-Pic into signature
Crafty

No shadow of a doubt to me - Sub Terra.

Takes a lot of staff to run - I found it very dull and the actual ride part of it (the drop) wasn't very exciting at all.

I've been on it once and I have no plans to ever go on it again - in fact when I went last week it had a 5 minute queue and our group all just walked past (we haven't been on it in about a year).

To me it just seems like a temporary experience to enhance the Nemesis brand - maybe open it for Fright Nights only...
awsomelycoolboy

I would pick submission, it only hurts you, and it's not that fun, especially when it holds you upside down for like ten seconds, I would prefer to have energiser back in its place, energiser looked fun. Also I would definitely not remove runaway mine train it's my little sisters favourite ride in the park, she rode it 36 times in one day with her unlimited fast track and the thing is she is only 3! She is a thrill seeker in the making!
[move]The Smiler is a correctional device, not a toy to be used for your own pleasure and entertainment[/move]
samham

I voted Rita.

Last time I rode Rita, I found it rather dull. The layout isn't very interesting, there is nothing special and unique about it (unlike the other thrilling roller coasters at AT) and a race car in a "Dark Forest" does not really work. I just found it to be the least thrilling and satisfying of the big coasters.

Baring in mind I have never ridden Sub Terra, The Flume or The Mine Train  :oops:
Last edited by samham on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
lf2001

Don't like Sub-Terra and none of my friends do. I think they should've put something else in its place. I'd liked to have seen another coaster that goes past the Nemesis track, so when you're riding it you think your going to hit the track, but you just miss...
Last edited by lf2001 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ripsaw Raver

Due to the size of the location that would have been near impossible. For a ride that tells the story of the most iconic ride at Towers I think it's a great attraction, especially if you immerse yourself into the story.
In regards to which ride I would remove, it would be Submission. I used to have a soft spot for it and indeed I still love the hang time it produces, but it was at its points of changing direction it just shudders violently which makes it a painful ride. Once removed we could finally get Energizer back to its rightful home =]
Last edited by Ripsaw Raver on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123