Clash of themes in x sector

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
MintAlton

With the smiler now in x sector, is there as clash of the themes?
Kirsty25

Not really in my opinion as with the smiler story coming to light, the other rides in x sector are failed experiments to bring joy and happiness.
Phild94

I'm sure it's just me looking far too much into it but.....

Doesn't The Smiler seem like all rides in XS combined?

Oblivion instilled fear not joy, so they reversed it (go vertically up not down)

Submission is all about hang time and going upside down.... Both the second half of the batwing and corkscrew both give you this

Enterprise .... Well enterprise is many many many inversions.....

I wonder wether they considered all this when designing the coaster.... The similarities occurred to me the other day actually whilst explaining the story of XS and TS to a friend of mine :D and all these similarities were a little weird to be honest :/
Last edited by Phild94 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Pennywise

I don't believe that there is a clash of themes within X-Sector on account of The Smiler's introduction; in contrast, I feel that the Ministry of Joy ties things together quite nicely. Both The Smiler and Oblivion revolve around themes of experimentation, and we can now assume that both are operated by the Ministry of Joy (though this is never actually confirmed whilst waiting for Oblivion, obviously, as everything is shrouded in mystery). Submission and Enterprise could be explained as earlier experiments aiming to evoke particular reactions (Submission obviously to get potential advocates to follow orders, and the actual dictionary definition of Enterprise "A project or undertaking, typically one that is difficult or requires effort" could link in with the marmalisation process quite nicely if you wanted it too.

Heck, the theme is (within reason) whatever you want to make it, and I link that there's still an aspect of the unknown about X-Sector, but there's certainly no clash of themes. :D Whereas in Dark Forest and Forbidden Valley this is a problem, X-Sector feels complete.
tallicay2k

Not at all, x sector is a futuristic part of the park and I think smiler fits very nicely. Ok I'm not saying the story to the smiler is futuristic but the image it sets gives it that futuristic feel.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
TheOutpatient

It all depends on how you look at it. You could justify anything with the right backstory.
When I realised that both Oblivion and The Smiler were experiments - that is enough for me - but the average guest can't really see that. If each ride is a circle of traits in a Ven Diagram then each circle should overlap considerably-both are black and experiemtns - thats 2 things. The 2 rides are very different brands though, you can't really ignore it.
I'm a bit foggy on it but I feel like you want some of the Alton Towers parenthesis brand to seep into the sub-brands much like Disney always has a certain drawing/character style, whatever film they're making...But I don't know, its nice but its not like it matters that much, if the individual rides are good enough but I think thats what this is about - you desire a generalized X sector brand to be present in the individual brands of the rides.

Intrestingly, it all seems to get at the idea or having 1 artistic designer doing the whole park (although here in the UK, I have to admit - we are less franchisey and more (nicely)jumbled/diverse"
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
CoasterCrazyChris

I think some people need to learn the difference between 'theme' and 'storyline'.
TheOutpatient

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: I think some people need to learn the difference between 'theme' and 'storyline'.
whatever you are talking about, I assure you.... It isn't as yeah duh obvious as you're portraying it to be.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/