Oblivion Floorless

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
snes2

I'm just wondering what everyone else would think of this. Most dive machines are now floorless, amd I believe it would add extra life to the coaster. The only problem I see with it is the cost with adding new trains and the floor that moves away.
Alex.D

No, oblivion is floorless for shorter people. Like me, 5ft 6" when I rode it last, felt floorless. Would be cool for tall people though. Id rather the money spent on repairing Nemesis' theming
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
JaykeAT

I don't think oblivion needs to be floorless,as Alex said,for most people it is just like a floorless,and when you are up there you don't really notice where your feet are.As you say it would be quite a lot of money for something that will go unnoticed for a lot of people
Owen

Yeah...no,oblivion should be kept as it is because it was the worlds first dive machine so...no I do not agree
GK2B

Ive ridden Sheikra and I have to say floorless doesn't realy add something to the whole experience...
A

Well I for one would like it to be floorless as I have very long legs. Just imagine your legs dangling over the edge of the drop, and as snes2 said it would extend oblivion's life span :)
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
Themeparksandy1981

How about making it more scary and having a lap bar instead.
JamieH93

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: How about making it more scary and having a lap bar instead.
That would be incredible  :yes:
Credit to lewis97

You belong to the smiler
Thorpe Towers 13

Alex.D wrote: No, oblivion is floorless for shorter people. Like me, 5ft 6" when I rode it last, felt floorless. Would be cool for tall people though. Id rather the money spent on repairing Nemesis' theming
I Agree! Love Oblivion but I do think that nemesis could do with a revamp! Oblivion had a re-paint with Smiler opening, but nothing for Nemesis when Sub Terra opened :(
hands in the air and scream!
Danny

Personally, I wouldn't want Oblivion to be converted to a floorless model. I feel that removing the floor doesn't really add anything to a dive machine unless with a layout like SheiKra or Griffon.

Oblivion feels much more restricted, almost caged in like. It's in an area of the park that boasts experiments on the human body, so the floor and the bars on the front of each row add to the atmosphere for me personally.
Rocket

If oblivion was floor less
It would be the first floor less coaster in the UK!
A

Rocket wrote: If oblivion was floor less
Nemesis, air, nemesis inferno, the swarm, in fusion, kumali.......
Danny

A wrote:
Nemesis, Nemesis Inferno, Infusion and Kumali are classed as inverted. Air is classed as a flyer, and The Swarm is classed as a wing rider. Technically, Oblivion would be the first floorless coaster in the UK [akin to Kraken, Krake, Dominator, Bizzaro etc].
Last edited by Danny on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLD

I have been saying this for years now! I love the feeling you get on Nemesis when the floor lowers from beneath your feet and think it would add so much more to Oblivion.
A

Danny wrote:
A wrote:
Nemesis, Nemesis Inferno, Infusion and Kumali are classed as inverted. Air is classed as a flyer, and The Swarm is classed as a wing rider. Technically, Oblivion would be the first floorless coaster in the UK [akin to Kraken, Krake, Dominator, Bizzaro etc].
Yes, technically, but none of them have a floor  :poke:
TheOutpatient

It would depend on this:

If the floor is removed, is the tallest persons feet far enough from the track?
I can't see that you could bring the seat up higher (to improve that clearence) because peoples heads need to be a certain distance from the top of the tunnel (legal clearence) and you'd bring their heads closer to the top of the tunnel if you did that.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
A

Consider this - if the floor was removed there would easily be enough ground clearance as most people's legs sit quite comfortably on the floor plus there's the clearance of the actual train above the track so I don't think there would be any problems there. If there wasn't quite enough clearance then the seats could always be angled back slightly to give the clearance required without having to raise the seats, though personally I don't feel that this would need to be done.
TheOutpatient

Well first, thanks for speaking to me in a professional kind of way! I very much appreciate that round here.

Looking at this picture there is pretty hopeful amount of clearance between floor and track:Image
but there is also some other gubbins on the bottom of the car; breaking apparatus and the wheels themselves - if you could somehow cover these you might be good to go.

Station would need a bit of an overhall aswell though.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
temleh

Without wanting to go off topic, why is it that some Oblivion shuttles have no logo on the centre of the front row? :?
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay
Themeparksandy1981

Would the hole be big enough to make it a stand up drop coaster?