The Future Of Congo River Rapids

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
SuperWill

So what will happen to Congo River Rapids in a few years time? Will it get relocated? Or will it leave? Discuss below! :)

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
deeve

Neither. Refurbished or rethemed possibly. Rapids rides, log flumes and car park charges are the wonky trolleys, milk and bread of a theme park.
jmed

I think it should stay. Its a key feature of any park, however it does seriously need an update. More speed, more chances to get wet, more interaction between boats and people watching.

I do think that there could be better use of space around it though, when you look at the satellite image you can see how much free space there is around. There is space to squeeze in some small flats. Which would also bring people closer to more parts of the ride, better chance for more interaction.

But it should stay. Its a top family attraction.
TheOutpatient

like the flume its a lovely water feature aswell as a ride but if it costs too much to maintain it I could see they might get something else in the next 10 years (a long time away). Hopefully its something developed out of the rapids and is also a water feature.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
cookiee_munster

any chance they could extend it and then maybe add a drop like kali river rapids at animal kingdom?
bensaund

All they will do with the Rapids is to maintain it, no need to extend it. Maybe add a water feature.
If you go down to the woods today
mike_roller

I think it will stay as it's obviously really enjoyable for many different age groups which is evident by seeing the smiles on peoples faces as it goes by and it does look nice on the path as you walk from Mutiny Bay to Katanga Canyon. Is it really that costly to run? You pump the water up and then gravity does the rest. It's also a good length and I imagine swallows up a lot of the crowds.
Themeparksandy1981

I do think it needs a whole closed Season of TLC. In the 20 years I been going they replaced the boats,removed the water hoses along the route,replace the great themed photo camera with the 1 that's where today. The queue had the most work done to it in the past 5 years.

The station really needs a good paintings,maybe add more theming on route and sort out the waterfall area. They could also put a wooden tunnel and have water effects inside.

That made me laugh relocate it  you can't just move concrete
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bensaund

The station had a load of work done on it in February.

As for "It can't cost that much to run" those water pumps cost a fortune to run and there are three of them. Next time you go past the ride, look at the size of the power cables and the huge level to switch them on and off.
If you go down to the woods today
NecronomiconUK

Beside a bit of spit and polish every so often, the rapids are perfect. It's one of the only rides my GF or mum will go on and it would be a mistake to turn it into anything like a thrill ride.
SuperWill

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: I do think it needs a whole closed Season of TLC. In the 20 years I been going they replaced the boats,removed the water hoses along the route,replace the great themed photo camera with the 1 that's where today. The queue had the most work done to it in the past 5 years.

The station really needs a good paintings,maybe add more theming on route and sort out the waterfall area. They could also put a wooden tunnel and have water effects inside.

Oops! My bad! I forgot about that! :P

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
DeanGaryCox

bensaund wrote: As for "It can't cost that much to run" those water pumps cost a fortune to run and there are three of them. Next time you go past the ride, look at the size of the power cables and the huge level to switch them on and off.
At the end of the day they are always going to have some form of river rapids, even if they make a new one (god knows where though) they are still going to have the expenses to run it... i just think at some point it needs a complete refurb with new water effects etc. and if it's going to keep with the same theme or if they are going to chaneg the katanga canyon area. Besides I can't see it being changed any time soon, they've got the flume to sort out before they even think about spending money on the river rapids.
Image 2014
TheOutpatient

bensaund wrote: The station had a load of work done on it in February.

As for "It can't cost that much to run" those water pumps cost a fortune to run and there are three of them. Next time you go past the ride, look at the size of the power cables and the huge level to switch them on and off.
Yeah I thought they would. You see the water blasting out like lock waters.

The trough seems to be made of some kind of concrete but I've seen ponds go that were concrete and its a tough job trying to seal them
but whats interesting is the water just comes out of the lake anyway so if water leaks out its probably just going to end up back in the lake pretty much lol.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
dazza4783

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: I do think it needs a whole closed Season of TLC. In the 20 years I been going they replaced the boats,removed the water hoses along the route,replace the great themed photo camera with the 1 that's where today. The queue had the most work done to it in the past 5 years.

I was thinking it could do with water features inside the tunnel. I think a good one would be a water splash feature on the runaway mine train, so when the train goes past it causes a splash that wets any rapid raft that is going past at the time. It wouldn't get every raft, but it would be a nice feature, and a bit more interactivity between the rides.
danny_davies

Unfortunately, riding this after being on Popeye's bilge rat barges at Universal IOA, Florida was really dissapointing. I understand AT may not have the money Universal do and not everyone will have been on other river rapid rides as good as the Bilge-rat barges but It really lacked entertainment! On the CRR (congo river rapids) you don't get wet much and the drops are pretty tame! What they could do with doing is, putting a bigger drop in and maybe some water cannons that are able to fire onto the boats from people above etc. Something that will make people want to ride again and again!
"Stoke City till I die!"
Fish777

i really enjoyed the one in florida too, but at the end, i was wringing my socks out! i think a bit wetter would be great, but not as wet as that because the weather in england sucks.
Dom

i will be honest. i love congo river rapids. but i do feel there are some areas that could be improved.

i agree with what a lot of people are saying. there does need to be a bit more interactivity like water cannons on the bridges and in the queue lines, maybe some more rapidy bits, but i also beleive that they dont really need to do anything with it.

personally i would love to see them add more effects to go with the themeing of the ride. maybe some indians that shoot water and maybe some animals. make it a family fun but also a wet ride. it has so much potential on being such a fantastically themed ride that i think AT have over looked it
AidanCKY

It could be like this:

brick60000

I love the rapids.  I have had some great times on there, especially lately.  Not sure whether it is just me, but it seems to be getting guests a lot wetter lately...  I came off soaked on the smiler opening day!!
Tonka_UK

danny_davies wrote: putting a bigger drop in and maybe some water cannons that are able to fire onto the boats from people above etc. Something that will make people want to ride again and again!
Having been on park yesterday I can confirm there is currently 8 water cannons for people to soak you with from the path just after the double waterfall section, you pay £1 for 10 shots, quite entertaining really!