Alton Towers - Winged Coaster?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
AltonTowerfanatic

So do you think they will build one? I was thinking it could link in with The Swarm! The Swarm: No Survivors, if you will. Much like how Nemesis Inferno is linked with Nemesis. The Swarm is a creature that came to destroy earth, so with it being at Alton Towers, could be it spreading across the country, taking over? Hence no survivors. I think it will perfectly fit in the story line and create an extra and better theme for both Thorpe and Alton. It could go in the Air car park as it will fit in perfectly with the areas theming. I really hope they do as I love The Swarm and the story line. It could even start underground. I'm sure that will be a first and the reason could be at that's how The Swarm travelled there! I have so many more ideas and details on this but it's too long as it is. ;) Please discuss  :D
Last edited by AltonTowerfanatic on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm ready to Smile!
Altontowersbarlow

I dont think if they built one they should link it to the swarm because in my eyes its copying I know they are run by the same company but I do not want it to be themed around this it could just be themed around subterainian or something but I would rather see something origional from Alton Towers not a wing rider sorry for being miserable but just needed to get it out good topic :D
AltonTowerfanatic

altontowersbarlow wrote: I dont think if they built one they should link it to the swarm because in my eyes its copying I know they are run by the same company but I do not want it to be themed around this it could just be themed around subterainian or something but I would rather see something origional from Alton Towers not a wing rider sorry for being miserable but just needed to get it out good topic :D

Haha it's fine I'm open to all ideas :D and thanks for writing there owned by the same person forgot to add that :)
I'm ready to Smile!
JaykeAT

I hope Alton stay away from the wing-rider concept,in fact,I would like to see them stay away from B&M altogether
MJNemesis

The more Wing'ers the better IMO. The problem is with the wide trains it would create a huge footprint even if it wasn't very tall. I'd love a Wing'er that was terrain based, weaving around trees and imagine how amazing it would be to go through a barrel roll in valley on a wing coaster! It just wouldn't happen though.

Alton Towers is supposed to be the daddy of all of the parks. I don't think people would accept Towers receiving a 'follow on' from TP... it only works the other way round  :lol:.

TP having Nemmy Inferno built was good in a marketing sense. They created a fairy standard Invert layout (I don't see the misty tunnel and interlocking corks as anything amazing) but generated great hype just because of the name. I still just look at it as 'Inferno' and often forget it shares a name with the Queen of all the coasters.  ;).

Once the USA starts building what the UK started it's usually good for us to move on. Unless we can pull something out of the bag that equals Nemesis, which is unlikely to happen unless a new Wardley appears on the scene.
Kirsty25

Having been on Swarm today.. I would like to see a wing rider at AT, but not following the swarm theme. Swarm is ace!
AltonTowerfanatic

JaykeAT wrote: I hope Alton stay away from the wing-rider concept,in fact,I would like to see them stay away from B&M altogether
Why??  :D
I'm ready to Smile!
AltonTowerfanatic

Kirsty25 wrote: Having been on Swarm today.. I would like to see a wing rider at AT, but not following the swarm theme. Swarm is ace!
Did you ride it backwards??
I'm ready to Smile!
AltonTowerfanatic

MJNemesis wrote: The more Wing'ers the better IMO. The problem is with the wide trains it would create a huge footprint even if it wasn't very tall. I'd love a Wing'er that was terrain based, weaving around trees and imagine how amazing it would be to go through a barrel roll in valley on a wing coaster! It just wouldn't happen though.

Alton Towers is supposed to be the daddy of all of the parks. I don't think people would accept Towers receiving a 'follow on' from TP... it only works the other way round  :lol:.

TP having Nemmy Inferno built was good in a marketing sense. They created a fairy standard Invert layout (I don't see the misty tunnel and interlocking corks as anything amazing) but generated great hype just because of the name. I still just look at it as 'Inferno' and often forget it shares a name with the Queen of all the coasters.  ;).

Once the USA starts building what the UK started it's usually good for us to move on. Unless we can pull something out of the bag that equals Nemesis, which is unlikely to happen unless a new Wardley appears on the scene.

Very interesting but Alton are clever they will find away to make it the best the most well know haha in a few years they will think it will have originated from alton haha :D
I'm ready to Smile!
Henry

I would love Alton to get a winged coaster! On the space on Sonic Spinball and the old ice tent.
JaykeAT wrote: I hope Alton stay away from the wing-rider concept,in fact,I would like to see them stay away from B&M altogether
How could you say that? lol
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
Dom

a winged coasted would be cool, but the swarm does take up a lot of space. they would need to really think about everything in order to make it work well and happen. i know i'm probably gonna get stick for saying this but i think if they do put one in, no inversions. make it a fun family orientated coaster.
Heisenberg96

I'd love a winged coaster, and your idea is creative,  but unfortunately I'm with the anti-swarm crowd
DrReeve

a winged coaster would take up too much space in the towers. Just look at swarm.
Image credit to Lewis97
Trisnie

Sadly even IF they were to build an even better  version of The Swarm it would be viewed as a poor imitation  just like Inferno at TP a great coaster in its own right but sadly compaired to the original (if I can say it without sounding insulting as I don't intend to insult people) through biased eyes it is just a poor copy
The same would happen with a Copy of the swarm
jamjamz

I would love AT to get a winged coaster. It would fit right in at AT Plus i absolutly love the swarm.
If AT did get a winged coaster, it will probably be a 4D winged version. Rumours suggest that SW7 was gunna be a B&M over by air but wasnt ready so AT went with The Smiler so hopefully their next coaster might be B&M winged but hey they are just rumours. ;)
If AT did go with B&M and it was a winged coaster it would either be a 4D winged coaster so their different from TP or a totaly different coaster alltogether. Knowing AT it would be a totaly different coaster alltogether.
altontowerskid

I am a huge fan of The Swarm, but I really wouldn't like to see a winged B&M at the Towers.

Firstly, I think the footprint a winged coaster needs could be better utilised at the Towers. Secondly, I would much prefer to see the Towers think of new ideas and IMO, use Intamin for the next coaster at the park.
schmatt

With B&M seaming to be more adventurous with coasters now, with new train designs and finally going over the 300ft barrier they once had, I really wouldn't be surprised if they soon bring out a launched coaster. Potentially featuring their winged cars. I could see this working best for Alton as It would give a different enough experience from Swarm to stop them being compared quite so drastically as both will give fairly different experiences. Add this launch with a raptor-esque layout and I think Alton could be on for a winner, being its fairly compact and low lying . Possible locations for this (Based on size of raptor) could include flume lake, overflow coach parking and of course the air car park. However this is unlikely due to Rita, unless they decided to sell it, I can't see this happening unfortunately.
scw55

SW's don't need to be high-thrill rides.

Perhaps AT could commision a 'family winged coaster'. The sensation of being on a wingrider without it terrifying you.
The Terminator

With the height restriction at AT there is unlikely to be a 300foot plus high wing rider, and anyway my guess for SW8 will be an indoor coaster to go on the carpark along with an entertainment complex and new entrance.

+1 on the avoiding B&M though, too expensive, too big and to be frank too boring.
I WILL be back
rhino18

^I'm sorry, but how in the world are B&M 'boring'. For a start, they are a diverse (enough) manufacturer to make something different for Alton. Let's see how they're boring then:

PRODUCTS

Sitting Mega-looper - 5-8 inversions. At least 30 m tall. One even has a launch.
Floorless - Same, but with floorless trains.
Invert - Big looping coaster with trains suspended below the track. Nemesis voted 5th in 2010 Mitch Hawker Steel Poll and 12th in 2012.
Stand-up - Looping coaster with stand-up trains. Last one built in 1999, so not so popular anymore.
Hyper - Amongst world's best, smoothest and most enjoyable coasters. Shambhala tallest in Europe. Leviathan 7th in the world.
Flyer - Designed to be 'relaxing'. Simulates flying.
Wing - A new design become popular quickly. Trains on the side of the track.
Dive Machine - Vertical drops up to 60 m tall. Enough said.

Now compared to Intamin, they are not that innovative, but in no way are they boring. A lot of people consider them to be the best manufacturer out there. I know it's your opinion and I respect that. I am just trying to show you that these designs are not boring in any way, really. A boring coaster would be a sit-down travelling Pinfari Zyklon.

I also know that B&M have lowered the intensity of their rides, but at the same time, going to new lwvels with their designs. In 2012 alone, they made 3 new wing coasters, a giga (a first for them) and Europe's tallest. :)