Future Of The SW Codename After Wardley?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

Would you like the SW Codename to be used now Wardley is retiring??

End the SW with the end of the Wardley Era
10%
Continue the SW name, it doesn't matter who designs it
55%
Replace it with new series of codename, with a new designer
35%

Total votes: 101
roary01

So with Wardley now retiring, there is the one main legacy he leaves at the towers. THE SECRET WEAPONS, however do people think Towers should retire the SW codename with Wardley, or continue it as a legacy?

I'm split in some ways, but if Alton bring in a new designer to take-over Wardley then maybe we have a new Code-name. I think the Secret Weapons were Wardley's and should let the name retire with him. That way a new Designer can bring there own stamp to it and let Wardley's beasts be remembered at the SW series.
Last edited by roary01 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheNigeC

They could use a new codename....

they could be called WMA... Weapons of Mass Attraction!
[align=center]I Could live on Nemesis! I want to travel the world visiting all the best Theme Parks!

FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM [img]http://TUMBLR YOUTUBE

CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK
[/align]
Henry

I wish they would stay, they are such good code-names that I personally don't think anything could replace...
Then again, it was Wardley's thing,
I'm not sure!
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
PeteB

It's Wardley's thing - but only for Alton Towers, and remember Rita wasn't given an SW codename because Wardley wasn't around at the time when they designed it.

There will always be code names or project names as they need something to call it internally before deciding on a name, which happens very late down the line. I would like to think that they drop the SW thing now, I don't really want anyone to take over it.

I doubt there will ever be another 'front man' in the way that John has been, but if there is I hope he/she brings their own unique style.
Tom G

JW

-Sent from a mobile phone-
andy86

I think I'm more interested to see who'll take over from Wardley.
Randomizer462

I would like Alton to drop the SW tag, because if the new designer is not as amazing as wardley was then it would ruin the SW name tag and give a bad impression and plus the SW tag was wardleys. It was his projects.
Marcus

Randomizer462 wrote: I would like Alton to drop the SW tag, because if the new designer is not as amazing as wardley was then it would ruin the SW name tag and give a bad impression and plus the SW tag was wardleys. It was his projects.
I agree.
SamSimkin

Awa

After Wardley Attraction
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
electricBlll_Returns

Whether the SW name is associated with John Wardley or not is an interesting question.

I don't think the Secret Weapon codename is John Wardley's signature, it is Alton Towers' signature on the whole. The designer is irrelevant really, especially since Wardley had a much smaller role in recent years. He does the track profiles and layouts for all the new rollercoasters at Merlin operated theme parks, but only Alton Towers uses the SW codename. However, he did conceive the original Secret Weapon rollercoaster, from which the name originates, before abandoning the idea, and the projects SW3,4,5 were managed by him.

I think the name 'Secret Weapon' represents the innovation and "thinking outside the box" ethos that Alton Towers is well known for. It has to be a large rollercoaster, with some kind of unique feature. When Alton Towers build a secret weapon, you know they are putting a lot of money and effort into creating a special experience. Rita was not a secret weapon because it was a rushed job, planned and built very quickly compared to the 2/3 years the SWs took to design. It was also a very standard ride with no unique feature or innovation. The tame nature of Thirteen means it can also be considered to not be a true SW, but the sheer technological complexity of the freefall drop, which itself took years to prepare, earns itself the codename.

As long as Alton Towers keep designing innovative and special rollercoasters, they will be designing secret weapons.
Last edited by electricBlll_Returns on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roodlesnouter

SW has become synonymous with big new rides at Alton Towers rather than anything to do with John Wardley, certainly with the GP any way.

With that in mind SW should definitely, in my opinion, stay.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TomL

just wondering, will candy holland take over from wardley or is she only artistic stuff
JaykeAT

I think the SW tag will stay, it could be part of his lasting legacy
oliviamae

if you did a random survey (outside of the fan boards), I'm sure most people would associate the secret weapons more with Alton Towers than JW
aidan.rudge.92

Keep the SW codenames.  :P
:D
daveclarkedaveclarke

Does anyone know actually who can up with the idea, Alton or John. If it was Alton then it should carry on if it was John think of something different.
rhino18

Alton came up with the idea in 1991. Actually, it was their marketing department, Wardley really wouldn't give a :censored: on what the projects are codenamed by. Wardley is already replaced. As I've alredy said in a previous thread, he's been semi-retired for years. For example, Rita was designed by Werner Stengel, Thirteen was only partly designed by him and Spinball had noting to do with him at all. And don't forget, in thr 1990s especially, he designed other rides like Dragon Khan, possibly his second best piece of work to date (second to Nemesis, of course ;)).

So, yeah, they will most likely continue with the 'Secret Weapon' label, as it was the marketing department's decision.
bartlettmike707

The "Secret Weapon" was the name given by John Wardley for the Arrow Pipeline coaster which was going to be built where Nemesis now stands. He showed us in one of his presentations some drawings of this, and explained that the first layout of the track was given the number SW1. Further layouts were given other SW numbers, and although the ride was changed to a B&M inverter, the name stuck.
TheJamesS

thank god he didnt do that http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=PipelinePOV it looks terrible !
rhino18

That was the prototype. The ride design is minimal. SW1/2 would have followed the terrain and be huge. Yes, Nemesis was a much better option, but don't assume that's the one for AT. If you'd done a bit more research, you would've found the original plans.