Alton Towers Brand New Second Theme Park?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Liam-AltonTowers

I was thinking about a sort of second theme park located on this plot of land below next to the Alton Towers Hotel:

It would be a sort of similar kind of theme park to things like Nickelodeon Land and Thomas Land but obviously with a lot more rides and a mixture of thrill, family and baby rides. Because it would be smaller, tickets would be cheaper and there could be a ticket which would give you access to both theme parks. There would be some sort of brand new improved monorail which would carry more passengers and have a better capacity and it's station would be located just outside this new theme park.

There would be at least one major coaster and two family coasters. There would be some thrilling flat rides and family flat rides. There wouldn't be different themed areas in the park because the entire park would have a specific theme like Nickelodeon Land.

This new theme park would be built around 2016 to 2019 and would be something extra for you to do as in one day you could go to the main theme park and then you could stay over and then spend your next day in the second theme park like Disney Land in Paris.

Now in your posts say:
  • Do you think it's a good idea?
  • What types or rides would you want in there?
  • Where would the entrance be?
  • What kind of theme would work well, what would it be based around?
  • Just whatever you wan't to say about the whole idea.

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
Boz

Not wanting to shoot your idea down, but I think you're overestimating how big that plot of land is. After you've built your three coasters, there wouldn't be enough room for anything else.
That's not to say I don't like the idea, but it would be on a much smaller scale, and would prob become a year-round attraction, which has already been suggested many times before, and (someone may correct me if I'm wrong on this) was hinted at in the LTDP as a possible new home for spinball.
Kenzie2012

This topic used to exist... It's really annoying me trying to find it because I know there was a fair bit of material toit....

My problem with ever thinking of something like this is that I wouldn't want them to do a new park when they barely maintain what they have now.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Captain Chimp

I probably am wrong on this, but isn't this area where the new lodges are supposed to be built.

Or am I getting confused..  :D
oliviamae

I can't imagine it working, even if the land was big enough and available. People would just want to visit Alton Towers and that would take preference. With how expensive it can be for a family to visit Alton Towers already, it's unlikely enough customers would opt in to the second park prices.
Boz

Captain Chimp wrote: I probably am wrong on this, but isn't this area where the new lodges are supposed to be built.

Or am I getting confused..  :D
No you're confused ;)
They're being built on the field north of that car park just above it
Liam-AltonTowers

oliviamae wrote: I can't imagine it working, even if the land was big enough and available. People would just want to visit Alton Towers and that would take preference. With how expensive it can be for a family to visit Alton Towers already, it's unlikely enough customers would opt in to the second park prices.
I get what you mean as in people won't just come to Alton Towers just to go to this smaller second theme park however those who are staying over at the hotels and lodges who might have already been to the water park and main theme park - well they might want to go to this one instead for a day plus it will bring extra money in for the resort for even more fantastic developments.
Boz wrote: Not wanting to shoot your idea down, but I think you're overestimating how big that plot of land is. After you've built your three coasters, there wouldn't be enough room for anything else.
True, so maybe only one major coaster and one very small family coaster a bit like how Nickelodeon Land has the Nickelodeon Streak as the main major coaster and the Blue Flyer as the small family coaster if you get what I mean.

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
Marcus

Possibly if they actually fix up the theme park.
The Moon

I have said for a while a second park could be economically successful if done right. Major rides would not be implemented until the viability is sure. So if done right, yes. If done all guns a blazin as suggested then no, it would be a huge debt and culture shock.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Danny

I'd much rather have this area used as a large entertainment complex, much like Downtown Disney or Universal City Walk. Cinemas, bars, bowling, and all the other elements that would truly make Towers live up to the resort name. It would therefore probably convince more people to stay over as well.
bensaund

They should keep the land for:
-3rd Hotel
-Extra car parking
-Entertainment complex

There is plenty of room inside the main park to develop, with the increasing number of people coming to the resort and staying over night they need to look at extra entertainment options and also car parking need to be available for all these extra guests. If they build on car the Air car park (G?) then they will need additional parking elsewhere.
If you go down to the woods today
MattsDesigns

Boz wrote: Not wanting to shoot your idea down, but I think you're overestimating how big that plot of land is. After you've built your three coasters, there wouldn't be enough room for anything else.
That's not to say I don't like the idea, but it would be on a much smaller scale, and would prob become a year-round attraction, which has already been suggested many times before, and (someone may correct me if I'm wrong on this) was hinted at in the LTDP as a possible new home for spinball.
I think in this case, it just becomes an *extension*

and that is a very very good idea that I am always for 8)
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
altontowerskid

I'm with most the others here, I think it'll be a great spot for an entertainment complex and I'm sure someone at the Towers must think so too. Proximity to hotels and away from the park so it can spread people across the land.

It's also true, that once an entertainment area has been built, many more people will demand an overnight stay to experience restaurants, cinemas, bowling etc etc. Heck, if they want to go all-out, they could even think up something like Disney Quest, small indoor theme park for the rainy days :)
sku11dude123

Excellent idea, But i have some issue's with it.

1.) Rumor has it that Alton has a whole forest that could be potential for land for the theme park. Not using that would mean having to waste everything hogging 1 little space which could be used for something else.

2.) Roper's... Nuff Said

3.) I personally think the area could be an expansion for the miniature golf course Alton has tucked in the corner of the hotel and park. (Correct me if i'm wrong)
sibic

its an interesting idea you could go 2 ways 1 an entertainment complex with rides and maybe 1 or 2 coasters open all year around.

or 2 a small park with one theme a boutique park with a high price and  maybe only 1000 to 2000 people allowed in on any day with all food and drink provided all day (maybe not booze) a little bit like discovery cove but maybe not an animal attraction 
MattsDesigns

sku11dude123 wrote: Excellent idea, But i have some issue's with it.

1.) Rumor has it that Alton has a whole forest that could be potential for land for the theme park. Not using that would mean having to waste everything hogging 1 little space which could be used for something else.
Sku, don't you realise by now - every tree is protected. It would take thousands of pounds in lawyers fees for a work-around.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Vanessa Feltz

That area has already been noted as a development area, I believe the LTDP actually refers to it as being the location of a new hotel.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
Danny

A really quick and rushed plan, but here is what I have in mind:

So, the pink lines represent the main and secondary path into the new area. The carpark north of expansion would also be expanded to accomodate further guests, and two paths from the old section of the car park and the expanded car park would lead onto the lower end of the new area.

The large brown structure either side would form the main entertainments complex. It would contain a large cinema, presented by Merlin themselves, or Cineworld/Odeon etc. I am thinking of this on the upper half of the south structure. On the upper floor, would be a large bowling alley and entertainments complex, containing a large arcade. All of this could be Merlin branded with a dash of Towers theming. To connect the south structure to the North structure, would be a large sky bridge crossing the main path which sits below it.

In the North structure would be the more teenage/adult aimed building, with the exception of the first floor. The first floor would contain several shops, either in house Merlin ones or retail stores you'd find on the high street. The second floor would contain a large bar and night club, aimed at the older guests staying on the resort. A glimpse at how it could look:

The main path leading inbetween these two structures would contain grass islands, much like the ones found on Towers Street in the park. The contents of the grass islands be it flowers, trees, small fountains or even more frogs would be the resort's choice entirely. At the end of the main path, is the park's third hotel, with the largest restaurant of the resort on the first floor. The circles infront of this would be some fancy fountains of some sort. I imagine it to resemble this style, but shaped to fit the footprint:

Obviously there is more chance of myself becoming prime minister than this ever happening on how I visualise it, but we can dream, hey?  :)
DrCalman42

I love the idea of it being an entertainments complex, but wouldn't those lovely old grumbleweeds the Ropers have something to say about it?
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort and enjoyment.
RCandrew

I think an entertainment complex would be good!! With one part like Coral island in blackpool with a ghost train, shooting game etc, then bowling and cinema, restaurants and bars, clubs etc and anything else! This would also persuade people not to just stay over but to stay longer! People only every stay to go to the themepark one day, waterpark the next etc and not just as a little holiday with days to do stuff like this!

The drawings up above are amazing ideas (although the hotel is quite big as it is so your complex would be overly massive haha) it's a great idea!
Last edited by RCandrew on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.