Rita: 2005 Launched Coaster

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Anonymous

You know, I think this name could work really well.

AT always have a knack of naming rides well. And the fact that http://www.riderita.com is actually using the name kind of suggests that this IS going to be the final name.
Let's hope so.

It gives opportunities for innuendo (perfect for males to use the same kind of wording as the site), it's totally original and looking at the site suggests a grand prix/moto-cross theme and we know how some folks like to name their vehicles after female names.

And the fireworks are going to be themed around the 60s, 70s and 80s... Travel through the ages, perchance?

What do others think? Would this be a good name for the new ride? Like Air, it'd certainly be an original name and it could work perfectly if the themeing of the rest of the area is right.
Anonymous

I have to say me old china shock, that if it is the final name, conisodently mentioned by Andy Hine (oh how i know you love that name me darlin :wink: ) that Rita isnt the name of the ride. As far as I am aware of at this moment in time, NO name has been finalised yet.
Altonator

Just seen this on the this is Staffordshire website any link do you think?

RITA CALLS TIME ON THE PUB SHE'S ALWAYS CALLED HOME

CHRIS PROUDLOVE

12:00 - 06 October 2004

Drinkers will be raising their glasses for a farewell toast to a landlady who is leaving the historic Staffordshire Moorlands pub where she has lived all her life. Rita Wainwright, aged 65, and her husband, Keith, aged 73, are selling the Grade II-listed Marquis Of Granby in Church Lane, Ipstones, and looking for a retirement home in the village.

Thirteen years ago the couple took over as licensees from Mrs Wainwright's mother, Selena Burston, who is now aged 88, who was at the pub for 49 years.

The free house is a hub of the community and a regular meeting place of village organisations such as the Royal British Legion Ipstones Action Group and Churnet Valley Railway volunteers.

It is named after a celebrated 18th century Army officer who figured in the 1760 Battle of Warburg in Germany. In an Anglo-Prussian cavalry charge against the French, the nobleman lost his headgear and wig, giving rise to the phrase "going at it bald-headed."

Mrs Wainwright said: "I was born here in 1939 when my dad ran the pub. I love living in Ipstones. People are so friendly. The only other place I would consider living in is Foxt, which is still in the parish.

"When I left school I worked for my parents and was never employed anywhere else. Keith has worked here since we married 46 years ago.

"The best days were in the 1950s and 1960s when the factories of Thomas Bolton at Froghall and Brittain's Paper at Cheddleton were in full swing. The shift workers would call in for a drink before and after work.

"In those days we were supplied by the John Joules Brewery at Stone. It was a sad day when Bass bought them out.

"There were more characters about then. All the men seemed to have nicknames."

For several years the Wainwrights have run bed and breakfast accommodation at the pub to cater for visitors to Alton Towers.

The couple have a 45-year-old son Martin, who is a tanker driver for Lafarge Cement, Cauldon Lowe, and two grandchildren.

While many rural pubs are closing, Ipstones manages to support four.

Mrs Wainwright explains: "We all have a speciality. We are a traditional pub without a juke box, The Linden Tree has food, The Sea Lion has games, and The Old Red Lion has entertainment."
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
Cjw

Um...some how i dont think there is a link :roll:
Anonymous

[quote=""kylies_kitty""]I have to say me old china shock, that if it is the final name, conisodently mentioned by Andy Hine (oh how i know you love that name me darlin :wink: ) that Rita isnt the name of the ride. As far as I am aware of at this moment in time, NO name has been finalised yet.[/quote]

But it's odd that they're using it for an official teaser site.

To us, we're well aware that there are codenames for rides, but the casual AT visitor may not realise this and come April, will wonder why they've suddenly changed it's name at the last minute.

If RITA stands for something, I still think it'll be part of the name of the ride, i.e. RITA: Racing Inverting Thrust Accelerator. or words to that effect.
Anonymous

Sorry to burst anybody's bubble but...

Anonymous

[quote=""Inaudible-Whisper""]Sorry to burst anybody's bubble but...[/quote]

You ain't bursting anything. I think most people have already seen the connection.
Anonymous

So why continue discussing 'Project Rita'... Theres no way Alton could get permission to use Uma... and theres no point in sayingf "It might not be the one from Kill Bill" ... look at the pose, the suit... EVERYTHING matches on the suit. Even the VERY badly put on Rita and Alton logo's cover previous patches or blank areas. Its a fake.
Anonymous

[quote=""Inaudible-Whisper""]So why continue discussing 'Project Rita'... Theres no way Alton could get permission to use Uma... and theres no point in sayingf "It might not be the one from Kill Bill" ... look at the pose, the suit... EVERYTHING matches on the suit. Even the VERY badly put on Rita and Alton logo's cover previous patches or blank areas. Its a fake.[/quote]

http://www.altontowers.com/riderita/

More straightforward proof.
Anonymous

Fine it is real. I still dont see at all how Alton could get the permission to use Uma... Unless they very slyly didnt.
smeg_head

The head is chopped off, therefor they are not using Uma's likeness at all. That could be anyones body *ahem*

Plus that pose of Uma a publicity shot and therefor public domain - free for anyone to use.
big cat

Hum, the plot thickens now.

Seeing that ade has pointed us to an extension to the official AT site, then that proves that the site is real :evil:
I would be very suprised that Uma or her management team (if they saw the picture) would be too happy if they found out that AT had used her body for a PR exercise.
Come to think of it, if they have got permission, and Uma is going to be on the launch day, then I'm up for sitting next to her to ride rita!! :D

OK, I can dream carn't I :cry:
Elecx

I smell something fishy....

I wonder if Alton Towers is trying to make us think that this is going to be their new ride. I find it very suspicious they they obviously buy a domain and put that website up way before the coaster is actually there. It looks flashy anyway, if it is the true ride details then I'd love to see it!
- Craig Smith
Satch

there is no law that says you cant take a picture from some PR and alter it. it would only be illegal if AT used the exact same picture to advertise RITA.
Last edited by Satch on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
selb

I still dont see at all how Alton could get the permission to use Uma... Unless they very slyly didnt.

Plus if you look at it, its been cartooned.. well so to speak.
Anonymous

Is RITA turns out to be the final name I'm sure most of us will laugh it off then get embarressed when the public say "lets go ride Rita, Im sure shes very fast and very unreliable, but she know's how to get the job done" :oops:

That website points to a Dragster kinda theme. I wonder if anyone will ever theme to a rocket to something that doesn't look like a bottled down dragster car.
Phil

I wonder if Alton Towers is trying to make us think that this is going to be their new ride. I find it very suspicious they they obviously buy a domain and put that website up way before the coaster is actually there.
Errr... yeah. There are signs now (apparantly) at the end of towers street advertising this, just like there were for Spinball, and AIR, and oblivin etc.

It's called MARKETING, advertise at the end of the season for a huge ride, pull people back next season. And the good thing about this mini site is that you put your details in to recieve info, construction updates etc.

The management has changed since Spinball, they will use different marketing techniques. IE. Get the mini site up WAY before the coaster is finished.

The PR machine strikes back! :wink:
Dean

I'm sure this website will be plugged before after or even during the fireworks, like Air was in 2002.

But not on video screens... :wink:
Last edited by Dean on Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Rita can't be the name surely. What next? A theme around Coronation Street? The other attractions could be called Audrey, Candice, Norris and Vera. Please!

The connection with Uma is interesting though and I thought it looked familiar when I saw it.