Rita: 2005 Launched Coaster

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Phil

Not sure to be honest. It has been hinted already it will be a racing theme. Perhaps people are dismissing it because they don't want it? Every theme is over-used. Every park can have the same themes, but it all ocmes down to how well they pull the theme off.

http://ugland.myphotoalbum.com/view_pho ... ber&id=ace

Perhaps i'm missing something? Hot chicks and racing jumps out from the banner IMO.
Anonymous

[quote=""Ade""]

I will eat kittys pants if it is![/quote]

try trunks ade! or maybe i know someone who has strawberry smell inplanted in their newly brought underwear, maybe i could have a word with him!

Anyway back to topic, well you never know.. there is only one alton towers which is world renowed. If an origonal design/plan is to come from anywhere then its bound to be Alton Towers Themeing/Studios department! They have one of the best Themeing teams in the world. Spinballs themeing is simple because its a simple ride. Nemesis is complex to tie into the story of Nemesis. Shall i also go on about theming?

1 Alton Towers
1 Tussauds Studios theming department
1 Great park forming again
1 Great Park forming because of the history of the place with what was popular
1 Question. Whats the theming going to be like for Codename: RITA? Personally, i would rather not know until its launched. It adds to the excitement!
Phil

[quote="".:Adam:.""]:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But i dont think it is goning to be a racing theme anyway. :D :D :D :D[/quote]

Ok, so the racing theme on those banners is just there for a laugh?
Adam

no i think its to fro people off the actually theme.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Phil

[quote="".:Adam:.""]no i think its to fro people off the actually theme.[/quote]

But why would they advertise a perfectly decent theme, but then have ideas about another? It's completely false advertising. I DON'T GET IT!!
Adam

sorry :cry: :cry: :cry:

:D :D :D
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Anonymous

It's a Harry Potter launched coaster! LOL! RITA Skeeter off Harry Potter

(Please Note I don't seriously think its a Harry Potter themed launched coaster.)
madmanwill

[quote=""Phil""]
But why would they advertise a perfectly decent theme, but then have ideas about another? It's completely false advertising. I DON'T GET IT!![/quote]

do you not think they might just be stating how fast RITA goes and not hinting at the theme.
i like a others got a few ideas and also have had a few clues but i dont really see how RITA's speculated theme fits in with any of these. so we will all have to wait and see.

i think that in the next few years the theming will become awesome with a few areas being redeveloped. (maybe x-sector merry england and cred st) thats is speculation people

will
Gashead

Agreed, although i think with this site and the info given i think this could be a strong hint, if you think about it there have been many ideas for that particular area...but its all gonig to fit snuggly into place somewhere
Dan K

I agree with it being a racing theme.

Alton Towers would not put a woman in racing overalls, over a chequered flag, with text blurred to show high speed, a phrase that is often used in the motor industry ("check out this babe" or "check out this beauty" etc etc), and a reference to speed also used a lot in the motor industry, for the sake of throwing enthusiasts off the scent. AT are using the banner to generate interest in the public, first, and the enthusiast community second.

I know it'd be boring if there was never any speculation or discussion, but when the park throws you such an obvious hint, why is it people are always determined to think that there's more to it than that? #-o
Satch

being its not a hint!!!!!! it is simply marketing to say to the public 'we have an amazing ride coming net year. its gonna be fast, its gonna be huge, and your gonna want to ride it!!!'

they are using visual effects and graphics to emphasise this point, to appeal to everyone out there who would want to ride sucha thing, to get them ecited for net year. its merely advertising. it does not need to have anything to do with the theme!!!!!

look at all the adverts out there on the TV. the advertise loads of products using ideas which have nothing to do with the product itself, but to the effect that people want to buy them! Like PG tips. what have monkeys got to do with tea? nothing, but it makes people want to buy pg tips.

the people who have made these signs have been given the simplest guidelines for the advertising. to advertise a ride that is fast, does 0-100 kph in 2 secs, and has a codename of RITA. From these specs, they have decided to convey the idea of speed - what else would you do with something doing 0-100kph? advertise zimoframes?
Dan K

Well we obviously fundamentally disagree, lol, as I'd call that a massive hint if ever there was one. I highly doubt they'll have been given such a brief, erm, brief on how the advertising should be done. It's all carefully executed AFAIK.

Let's look back at some of Alton's previous posters:

Oblivion:

The final ride font is used many months before the ride opens, and you'll notice there's a circular graphic that represents the hole. Nothing misleading here.

Air:
Again, one of the final fonts to be used. The look and feel of the poster reflect the final theme. Again, nothing misleading or different to the final product.

So my point is, I don't think it's ever a case of "well, we need to make people excited, anything will do... erm, cars, they're fast, put some woman on the poster too for sex appeal...". I think that it's a well thought-out campaign that has just kicked off.

And if anyone thinks about replying with "yes but the park has a different General Manager now, so the last 10 years can't be relied on as a benchmark"... yes, the GM has changed, but that's neither here nor there in terms of proving that everything will be different. Largely, most is the same, on the surface at least. So the park's tried-and-tested marketing strategies aren't going to change due to a new GM, in my opinion.

Oh by the way, don't know if this has been mentioned before (so apologies if it has) but the dinosaur bones that were near to Ug Swinger were unintentionally damaged in the process of temporarily removing them. I think the fact that they were due to go back is a massive hint that Ug Land might not have the re-theme that so many are expecting. Maybe RITA will be themed around a prehistoric driving school? :lol:
Satch

well, from what you are saying, a prehistoric driving school would have nothing like a similar theme to the ads. im just saying, anything is possible. dont take it for granted that there will be a racing theme.
So the park's tried-and-tested marketing strategies aren't going to change due to a new GM
the trouble is, this is EXACTLY wahst been happening
Dan K

In what way? The park's improved in certain areas, but that's because they needed improvement to stop the rot. If it ain't broke don't fix it, and Alton's recent marketing efforts have been considered a success, so...

Oh and my comment about the prehistoric driving school was said in jest. Although it'd be a pretty cool theme IMHO!
smeg_head

Actually the final air logo font is significantly different to the font featured in that early advertising.

I have a feeling the Oblivion advertising was designed in house - this new marketing campaign is being done by an external design company therefore AT would only give them limited info about the new coaster to prevent leaks. I'm guessing the colour scheme used on the Rita promotional material is a fair representation of the final plans (the oblivion and air colours were accurate) and I do expect to see staff wearing jumpsuits similar to those featured however I still don't think Rita is the final name.
Anonymous

Apparently, the name Rita is Greek and it means a Pearl, or something that is precious.

Just thought I'd throw that in.
phillipvass

Those signs have the colour and themeing right, so i imagine that the new theme will be either racing or the complete opposite, but the theme will be changeing
Dan K

[quote=""smeg_head""]Actually the final air logo font is significantly different to the font featured in that early advertising.[/quote]
You're absolutely right, but the font used in all the promotion of the ride was the one on that poster. My point was, it wasn't trying to trick people into thinking the theme was something completely different.

[quote=""smeg_head""]I have a feeling the Oblivion advertising was designed in house - this new marketing campaign is being done by an external design company therefore AT would only give them limited info about the new coaster to prevent leaks.[/quote]
AFAIK the advertising side of the marketing campaigns have always been done by external companies. To my knowledge at least, Oblivion, Hex and Air (including their adverts and posters) were done by an outside company.

This next bit is purely speculation because I honestly don't know, but I've always had the impression that advertising companies are given an in-depth brief about the ride and its target audience, they then go away and think about how they should market the attraction, and then they present the ideas to the park who in turn pick their favourite way to go about it. But that's purely my ideas about it, I don't know if this is anything like what actually goes on.

[quote=""Ade""]but why use Kill Bill? Most people will recognise 'Rita' as the same women from Kill Bill which has nothing to do with racing! Surely it would of been better to of used a picture from a film or program that was actually about racing[/quote]
True, and to an extent I agree, but I think it may have been coincidental. Time will tell I suppose.

[quote=""Ade""]get Liz Greenwood to dress up in tight leathers :lol:[/quote]
Thanks for that mental image. I wasn't hungry anyway... *shovels dinner into bin*
Anonymous

Dan, i think most people would think the same... Ade, you sick sick sick bunny! Leather.... Liz... snails mating..... :sick: and just as i was about to have a veggie beefburger too
Anonymous

Its ok Ade, just the thought of me, veggie beefburgers and liz in leather... and i was gonna have 2 of them also :wink: Curtains for the beef me thinks now! :wink: