What direction should the music of Alton Towers go in

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
MattsDesigns

The music of alton towers has gone from a score type composition to more electronic, such as with Air and some of the Monorail music. I was thinking we should discuss what we would like to hear since no one really does.

I noticed also that the Swarm music over at TP is somewhat rocky and I thought that was interesting.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
tallicay2k

I'm a rock fan so ye I would like to see that but Alton Towers has got some awesome music already.
My top 4 are: classic tower street music
                    Hex music
                    Duel
                    Air
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
MattsDesigns

I do agree, those are good themes by Ian Habgood.

Gonna say what I think
(I used to make music myself I know something about it and might throw in some clever words)

A new Towers Street Medley (that can be used in other places)
This is a list of qualities I think it should have if they made a new one:

-It “quotes”(don’t know the musical word for that) the more distinctive themes of certain rides e.g. Hex theme. So in the medley you have just a little bit of the Hex and/or Nemesis music

-it brings back (,“quotes”,) a few of themes from the original Towers Street music. So in the medley you have bits of the original Towers St. Music

-Absolutely cutting edge, cool, styles of music to be included in the original parts of the Medley. So not even the Dubstep you know about, but songs that are like the songs only excellent DJ’s know about. Really cool stuff.

-Themes on the towers and gardens themselves. What do Towers and Gardens sounds like? – well to me they sound a lot like classical music – I think the original Towers St. Music represented the Towers well using harpsichord and flute sounds.

-Glockenspiel. Glockenspiel(or similar) is magic.
I think that might well be high Xylophone, but you see what I mean? Original Towers St. music used glockenspiel type sounds
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sixstringhotshot88

i was just thinking about this earlier.

In my honest opinion some of the music from various attractions is quite cheep sounding. This might be just because i'm a musician but it sounds like it has been composed on cheep instruments or in poor quality recording studios.

one example is oblibions music. It sounds like it has been knocked up in 5 minutes.
GoldWolf

IMO, the best music across the park is;
Air
Katanga Canyon
Oblivion

Now, I'm not saying that I'm the new Beyonce, I wish I was, but I do know my stuff, and I have to say that around the park I have seen way more people humming or whistling the tune instead of wishing it to be turned off. This is because all of the music is in 4/4 and around 120 beats per minute, increasing and decreasing in tempo slightly with each of the different rides (e.g, Oblivion is quite a fast rhythm because it's one of the most exhilarating roller coasters on the park whereas Air has a slower tempo because it is more relaxed).
I personally think that all AT have to do is update the music every so often. They've got bigger issues to worry about.  ;)
MattsDesigns

lol 

I do think some people have issue with the music going round and round. Maybe what could be done is what I think they tried to do with the Th13teen music, which is where the actual theme comes on every 15 mins or so.

What if a ride song only came on, on the hour? Either that or you write really long songs/medleys.

At the time I was impressed by the Oblivion music because it still sounded more like real drum and bass than anything I could create on my DJX keyboard. They atleast used 1 professional sampler and a computer to make that lol. I still like it  :) I think it runs at about 180 beats per minute.
Jimbo

I might be wrong, but didnt they try and produce a universal theme some time back?? This was a theme used on towers street and then reworked to for the different rides such as air, nemesis and Katanga canyon? I think it was at the time there was an issue with copyright of certain themes?

I think the current KC theme is a result of this? It seems to be the only one that stuck.

Like I said I might be wrong but I do remember a bit of controversy when they tried to change a lot of the music.
oliviamae

I don't like the idea of bands doing music for rides. I thought YM@6 doing The Swarm was so tacky. I'd rather have something memorable that fits the ride perfectly, like the Nemesis theme. I really would love more pieces like that, the current Towers Street music, etc. I want something magical that fits the area. I can't imagine a pop singer crooning on repeat replacing the Katanga Canyon music
MattsDesigns

lol I didn't realise it was You Me At Six. I did think it was kind of clever - trying to appeal to the rockier people...it probably does work a bit aswell.

A few of the classic Merlin tracks have a rock element. The Nemesis music has that feedback bit which sounds so apocolyptic- as soon as I hear it I see RUIN AND SMALL FIRES EVERYWHERE. Its just one or 2 notes but thats all it needs.

I think the style of music that catches the most people is Film Score. The emotional range is the greatest due to the amount of different instruments you can use - You can even add rock elements such as in Nemesis and the Haunted House themes.

There is actually some House music elements in the current AT music. This also struck me as an interesting choice because compared to film music it has very soft dynamics and Jazzy/Souly chords but I think its kind of cool cause its such a weird choice. I think Ian Habgood has actually released some House songs.

Music I think really goes with rides and why

THAT OPEN AIR SOUNDING, KIND OF WESTERN SOUNDING MUSIC a bit like the old Katanga music. A bit like the TV black beauty theme A bit like some of John Williams, definitely open parts to the star wars theme ( and bits of the E.T. theme. This music basically sounds like you are with a bunch of people getting on horses about to gallop across an American Desert and engage in an incredible battle.
I just really works for me with rollercoasters and the air blowing in your face/hair in the same way as it would when going across the desert on a horse.

Olivia -MAGIC sounding music is the notion. Things like Glockenspiels, Cor Anglais, Melodic Minor scale can go a long way, as it does in the HH sounding parts of the old Towers Street music. It sounds like fearies/angels and lovely stuff like that.
Themeparksandy1981

Been honest I liked the music that they played on thunder rock radio it made queueing a hour for Rita bearable and on spinball. I did like the toyland tours theme music.
Air lover

Air and toy land tours for me
ryanlovesaltontowers

Yes, I must admit listening to Thunder Rock Rally Radio made queuing for Rita a little more bearable as I worked my way through the cattle pen.

I just don't like Rita and the Dark Forest's current theme music, its too short and doesn't have enough impact on the area. Once you get past the entrance to the Dark Forest (where it is incredibly loud!) you can barely hear it.

I could go into a rant about how TH13TEEN should have been never themed how it is, and instead of creating another run down, depressing area, they could have just developed the Thunder Rock Rally and UG Land more!