2014 Lodge Resort Development (SCRAPPED)

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
jb19852

According to TS plans have been announced today for 150 lodges to be constructed for 2014.  Source is 'The Pulse' Staff magazine

Taken from TowersStreet:-
Alton Towers have today revealed they plan to construct 'themed lodges' as part of a major expansion of the resort hotels, for the 2014 season.

With the news coming as a surprise to many, they will be built on the meadow adjacent to the Alton Towers Hotel, on land which has been previously used for scare mazes and overflow car parking.

The news, which broke from the staff newsletter 'The Pulse', has come at a time when interest in theme park developments is already sky high, with Scarefest underway, Fireworks coming soon and the £18million investment in 2013 rollercoaster, Secret Weapon Seven.

With this combined investment, it would seem that Alton Towers' position as the UK's most popular theme park resort is assured for years to come, and we look forward to bringing you more news on this exciting development very soon!
Last edited by jb19852 on Thu May 16, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roary01

Although this sounds good, i really don't see these being cheap!

The fact that its somethings different, and there "THEMED" says to me there going to come with a BIG price tag, which i think will be a real shame as its something that will fit in well and make good use of some of the fields around the resort.

Another point i would make is surely it would have been better to introduce these at the same time as the planned entertainment complex on the air car-park?? Would tie in better but thats just my opinion...
jb19852

well i am assuming that there must be some sort of entertainment going with this. Guess we wont know until the plans come out.

But think about it two full hotels and 150 full lodges is like 1000 people with nothing to do in the evening!

I would say we would see these alongside and entertainment complex and two rides in the park for 2014 with a small investment for 2015 and SW8 for 2016
roary01

Goin back to the 10 year development plan you can clearly see the lodges are going where the Additional accomodation next to AT hotel on this plan is..

If im right in thinking, 2014 could be a BIG year for the park, in which we see some big changes:
- Accomodation Lodges
- Entertainment Complex
- New Entrance (in Forbidden Valley)
- Rides/Attractions on park
Last edited by roary01 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb19852

i can see that happening tbh.

We already know there will be two rides / attractions for 2014, possibly involving an area retheme.  It would make sense to build a new entrance now for people using on site accommodation and an entertainments complex is definitely needed.

Perhaps this is why SW7 was not built on the AIR carpark? Maybe they thought it would be better to build there after the complex has been built, etc
ImURNemesis

Exellent news!

It's a good step towards creating a world class resort if this goes ahead!

Exciting times ahead!  With this and SW7!  :D
tpjames

I think these could be really good for the park - I can see groups wanting to rent out a lodge rather than a couple of hotel rooms.  The concept works well in Holland at De Efteling. 

I agree though, with more guests on site overnight this needs to come with some more things to do at night, whether that is an entertainment complex or keeping the park open much later into the evening.
jb19852

The planning app does say reception/restaurant and servicing buildings at Alton Towers Resort so i am assuming some sort of bar/village centre center parcs style will be built to

Its also being done in two phases - 85 in the first phase with the remainder in the 2nd
Boz

Planning application is on line
MattsDesigns

Could these lodges be those er.....wooden tents that that dude was on about- was it cookie munster?
So not lodges but... camping pods? I think they were called?
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Jammydodger

MattsDesigns wrote: Could these lodges be those er.....wooden tents that that dude was on about- was it cookie munster?
Sounds an awfull lot like a "Yurt" (give it a quick Google). Which is not good, because most places charge £200 a night for the privilege and aren't the most special of things...
ImURNemesis

Jammydodger wrote:
MattsDesigns wrote: Could these lodges be those er.....wooden tents that that dude was on about- was it cookie munster?
Sounds an awfull lot like a "Yurt" (give it a quick Google). Which is not good, because most places charge £200 a night for the privilege and aren't the most special of things...
They can also be done really well! Look at centerparcs for an example

http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/accommodation/index.jsp
stu1980

Long Term Plan: Years -
The Long Term Plan proposes the following in
years 1-5 (2010-2014):
Parking and Access: advanced planting and
landscaping on the fields to the north of the
main car park to create new landscaped parking
areas.
New rides and entertainment areas: four new
or replacement rides of medium to large scale. 
Overnight accommodation: the aim is to
encourage multi-day stays through the increased
use of the Alton Towers’ hotels.  Further on-site
accommodation will also be considered.
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
cookiee_munster

twas me. glad they have decided to go down this route.

EDIT - i hope. just HOPE. that they'll be super affordable for guests/enthusiasts with a smaller budget :)
Marcus

These new resort lodge things really need to be affordable, or otherwise people will be put off it and go to local Travelodges and Premier Inns.
Themeparksandy1981

They could open the park a hour earlier or upto 3 hours after to park guests only. Just have selected areas open
bensaund

Currently the Alton hotels are 2-4 times more expensive that a Premier Inn or Travel lodge, so if these new lodges are even half price, I would consider staying, also Alton should take note that guests who stay will have an evening meal and breakfast at the resort which = more cash to them...
If you go down to the woods today
haydn!

It's great to see the resort expanding it's accommodation but I do have doubts as to how well these will 'fit in'. The area outlined on the plan is quite open. It would need a lot of landscaping and tree planting, so probably won't look it's best until a few years after opening, much like Air.

I seriously doubt we'll see a new main entrance in 2014, or the entertainments complex as well. The development plan was just as much about gaging reaction to what may happen, as it was outlining what will happen and the resounding response to the entrance move was pretty much, No!.

I'd expect an entertainments complex during or after the second phase of lodges are opened so, 2015-2016. We'll probably see an improved resort side entrance, but not a full replacement of Towers Street.
Luce

I'm hoping these lodges will be reasonably priced as the cost of staying in the current hotels has always put me off, much as it would be nice, otherwise I'll probably stick with booking somewhere local as I have before.  They do sound a good idea though and I look forward to hearing more about them.
stu1980

haydn! wrote: I seriously doubt we'll see a new main entrance in 2014, or the entertainments complex as well. The development plan was just as much about gaging reaction to what may happen, as it was outlining what will happen and the resounding response to the entrance move was pretty much, No!.

I'd expect an entertainments complex during or after the second phase of lodges are opened so, 2015-2016. We'll probably see an improved resort side entrance, but not a full replacement of Towers Street.
im with you on this leave towers street the way it is maybe clean it up abit but leave it be
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!