2014 Lodge Resort Development (SCRAPPED)

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
coastercrazy18

has the application actually been accepted yet because I think this could be a interesting project. personally my self I think it could bring in more money to the park so they can plan for an sw8 ride.
its always good to go to the dentist so you can get a better smile :D
stu1980

The plans would have seen Lord of the Rings-style huts built on-site at Alton Towers.
The Alton Towers Resort has withdrawn its application for planning consent to build 150 on-site lodges, which had been expected to open in 2014.

The two-phase development would have seen the resort install a range of lodges, "holes" and "huts" to the north of its two existing hotels. The accommodation would have resembled the Hobbit houses seen in the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, but the plans had faced opposition from local residents.

Theme Park Tourist reached out to Alton Towers comment on the withdrawal of the application, and received the following response: "Alton Towers Resort submitted a planning application in November 2012 for a two-phase themed lodge-style development to the north of the existing Hotels. However, even though future expansion of the Resort's accommodation remains a priority within the long term plan, a decision has now been made not to pursue this particular type of development at the current time and these plans have therefore been withdrawn."

Alton Towers has already gained planning consent for an extension to the existing Alton Towers Hotel, adding either 36 suites plus two bedrooms or simply 74 bedrooms. The resort's long-term development plan makes clear that the installation of additional on-site accommodation is still likely to happen at some stage.
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
stu1980

this has been confirmed by the park

Alton Towers comment on the withdrawal of the application, and received the following response: "Alton Towers Resort submitted a planning application in November 2012 for a two-phase themed lodge-style development to the north of the existing Hotels. However, even though future expansion of the Resort's accommodation remains a priority within the long term plan, a decision has now been made not to pursue this particular type of development at the current time and these plans have therefore been withdrawn."
Boz

Damnit!! All that work on my recreation is now wasted! :x
stu1980

Boz wrote: Damnit!! All that work on my recreation is now wasted! :x
soorry wont look for information lol :)
Danny

Taken from TowersTimes news:

Last year, TowersTimes reported that Alton Towers were intending to build an extra on site accomodation for the resort in the form of brand new log cabins.

Alton Towers submitted a planning application seeking a “Phased development of 150 lodges, associated reception/restaurant and servicing buildings at Alton Towers Resort, along with hard and soft landscaping, disabled car parking and associated drainage works.”

The site for this brand new accomodation would have been where overflow car parks "O" and "P" currently stand, with car park "J" being used for the brand new accomodations car parking.

Concept art of the brand new lodges that would have opened in 2014.

The original application was submitted back in November 2012, with decisions aimed to be made in January this year [one year after the plans for The Smiler were originally submitted]. The applications faced opposition from local residents, and a decision still had still not been made at the start of this month.

The "holes" would have been a form of accomodation built into the landscape, alongside the lodges.

However, after a decision still has not been made, Alton Towers have chosen to withdraw the application. Despite the plans for this accomodation being withdrawn, the resort are continuing onwards with expanding accomodation. Alton Towers had already gained consent for an extenstion to the Alton Towers Hotel, adding 36 new suites alongside two bedrooms or 74 bedrooms with no additional suites.

Concept art for the proposed huts that would have been included in the development.

Despite the withdrawl of these applications, the long term development plan for the resort makes it clear an extra form of accomodation is on the cards.

--

TowersTimes.co.uk
Alton Towers Resort from another point of view!

TowersTimes is the largest independent guide to the Alton Towers Resort with all the information needed to help you plan your trip. We also have the most comprehensive history of the park available online.

TowersTimes Forum is the beating heart of the Alton Towers community. With thousands of active users, our free to join forum is the best place on the internet to share your thoughts, passions and memories of the Alton Towers Resort.

Get Social! For the latest news and updates follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.
Last edited by Danny on Thu May 16, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteB

Have to be honest, I had mixed feelings about the whole thing.  On one hand I thought it was great to finally get some new accommodation, but on the other I never really liked the plans.

There just seemed to be something lacking and not all that different from lodges available locally (maybe that was a problem).

Perhaps now instead we will get the long awaited and much speculated 3rd hotel.
Kenzie2012

I could not be happier with this - I will admit again that I hated these plans and thought it was a truly terrible idea and have such since day one of the application.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
CoasterCrazyChris

Kenzie2012 wrote: I could not be happier with this - I will admit again that I hated these plans and thought it was a truly terrible idea and have such since day one of the application.
Can I ask why?

Admittedly the fairytale theme was not my cup of tea, but as a whole the development looked really positive.
Kenzie2012

Yeah of course..... This is my post from last year after the announcement was made.

I still stand by pretty what I said there to be honest, with the exception of Oblivion as its been done.
Kenzie2012 wrote: I think this is a bad idea ATM.... One day it will be epic, but the investment needs to go on the park not on a new mound of accommodation.

Oblivion and its station in general need a good going over, Thirteen is still missing a lot of its ivy that was pulled away and left looking a state. The flume is shocking, Rita's station can't decide if its living in Ug Land or Dark forest, Duel... Speaks for itself, Nemesis is still Awsome but could do with some major TLC and Air needs a good power washing to scrub away some grime....... I think I've named a good amount there to back me up.
A year of pure spruce up investment and then a year for flats would be IMO what's needed first.
I think the idea of setting up a place to entice more people to a park which is falling apart is a ridiculous idea, fix the park then worry about the new lodges.

In all of that I've not even mentioned the waterpark or Current hotels hat could do with a main duster too.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
CoasterCrazyChris

Kenzie2012 wrote: with the exception of Oblivion as its been done.
Well, that is debatable.
haydn!

The delay in the application being processed, and then this sudden announcement suggests it's likely more than Alton Towers simply 're-thinking' their plans. It's an almost identical move to what happened with the cross-valley woodie several years ago.

Very often, planning applications on this scale are discussed behind closed doors before an 'official' meeting. It's more than likely, the council indicated in one of these meetings the plans would not be accepted in their current form, no compromise was immediately available and Alton Towers pulled them to stop the potential negative PR of having a pretty huge application rejected.
Ryan.

This is pretty disappointing news. I thought the plans were quite good. I can only hope this means they can redesign them and come up with a better scheme.