The Future of Sonic Spinball

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
SuperWill

I know that the contract with Sega is ending next year so what would your plans be for Sonic Spinball? Would you sign a new contract with Sega to keep the Sonic branding or re-theme Sonic Spinball? I would sign a new contract with Sega.  :D

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
Rob
Admin
Admin

Just retheme it back to how it was ie. remove the sonic stickers then your done.
Double H

Personally, I would re-sign. I have always been a fan of Sonic and I think that the spinball is the perfect setting. The two together remind me of the retro sonic games and both the ride and theme compliment each other.... but the just my 2 cents
roary01

I've always had these 3 options for when Sonics contract expires, and there is one which i could see work extremely well if done properly, and others which would be quite sad as it is still a popular ride, but it has to be remembered, it was only ever a cheap "filler" attraction with little thought actually going into it..

Idea 1: Move up to the air carpark and intergrate it into the planned entertainment complex which was going to serve the hotels/include things to do for hotel guests when the park is shut. In turn this leaves the whole area of adventure/story book land to be intergrated in to one solid well themed childrens area (which would fit nicely due to both area beginning to look in need of refurbs)
Idea 2: Move Spinball behind Cloud Cuckoo Land and re-open the area as a pinball/retro area giving an unused area of the park back into use
Idea 3: Sadly sees the demise of Spinball, and the whole area incorpeating storybook land get refurb like in idea 1.
scott.smith

Idea 1: Awsome really good thinking.
Idea 2: Oh the ropers won't like that
Idea 3: It meant to be a family theme park so it sort of needs a spinning coaster
schmatt

Personaly I'd like to see it moved to Katanga Canyon and see a kind of aztec or wooden theme with plenty of head choppers. Theres 2 spaces that it would fit including behind the rapids station which could also mean a relocation of the entrance to the rapids with the old entrance being utilized to create a walkway up to the new 'plaza' with anoter entrance off by the entrance to KC by MB. The game stalls could then be moved to this path or plaza to allow the RMT facade to be seen again  :lol:
The other space that could be used is the coach car park however with this a new carpark would need to be created, yet it would mean that the coaster would feel much more part of KC instead of a separate area and would have a nice entry way through the now closed gates  :shock:
Boz

roary01 wrote: Idea 2: Move Spinball behind Cloud Cuckoo Land and re-open the area as a pinball/retro area giving an unused area of the park back into use
scott.smith wrote: Idea 2: Oh the ropers won't like that
that would actually move it further away from the ropers and put the towers between Spinball and the them. so if they did complain, then they would only be shooting themselves in the foot :)
I think the only problem with coaster corner, is the development of Cred Street/CCL has pretty much isolated the area. If it was to be brought back into use, they would have to really change how that area is laid out to have access to it that doesn't overwhelm the area.
roary01

Boz wrote:
roary01 wrote: Idea 2: Move Spinball behind Cloud Cuckoo Land and re-open the area as a pinball/retro area giving an unused area of the park back into use
scott.smith wrote: Idea 2: Oh the ropers won't like that
that would actually move it further away from the ropers and put the towers between Spinball and the them. so if they did complain, then they would only be shooting themselves in the foot :)
I think the only problem with coaster corner, is the development of Cred Street/CCL has pretty much isolated the area. If it was to be brought back into use, they would have to really change how that area is laid out to have access to it that doesn't overwhelm the area.
I don't think they have quite isolated it yet totally, there is still the opportunity, they can rework some of the fencing around toadstool/ice age, but just having a quick look on google maps, there is still an area which could be opened up to allow access to the coaster corner area...
remove the trees/bushes and you have a clear way through..
ImURNemesis

It won't go in coaster corner! Noice complaints in the past and Spinball isn't the quitest of rides.
SuperWill

I like your ideas everyone! :)

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
Jammydodger

I thought the whole situation was that Sega paid Merlin money to brand the ride as Sonic? If so isn't this really up to Sega rather than AT? I couldn't see Merlin turning down another cash influx if they offered.
roary01

Jammydodger wrote: I thought the whole situation was that Sega paid Merlin money to brand the ride as Sonic? If so isn't this really up to Sega rather than AT? I couldn't see Merlin turning down another cash influx if they offered.
It also depends on the contract as it was only set for a specific amount of years, and if Alton Towers have plans to move the ride, they wont renew its contract, whatever money they get from sega they have to spend on what sega tell them. So it probably isn't going to be worth keeping it in its current position any longer than needed or else it will just be holding up development...
Themeparksandy1981

ImURNemesis wrote: It won't go in coaster corner! Noice complaints in the past and Spinball isn't the quitest of rides.
How about if they build it inside a building and sound proof it. I heard Crush coaster at Disneyland Paris is good.
bensaund

When you have been on Dragons Fury at Chessington you realise that Spinball (Sonic or Whizzer) is a really rubbish ride, its not smooth and it isn't half as much fun. I always feel  battered and knocked around and in pain when I get off it. Dragon's Fury doesn't make half the amount of noise, has a smooth ride, its so well themed and the ride experience is so so much better.

Reading above, if you do a ride in the same design as Dragon's Fury, installed it into Katanga Canyon with a mine theme, where the cars would spin around a mine, maybe into a mine shaft or tunnel, this would be epic. Maybe had it running very close to the existing RMT and Congo Rappids..

New for 2013 anyone? :D
If you go down to the woods today
JMR

bensaund wrote: Reading above, if you do a ride in the same design as Dragon's Fury, installed it into Katanga Canyon with a mine theme, where the cars would spin around a mine, maybe into a mine shaft or tunnel, this would be epic. Maybe had it running very close to the existing RMT and Congo Rappids..

New for 2013 anyone? :D
One word. "Win".
opulentrich

Totally agree. Dragon's Fury has the same elements but they are executed smoothly with some good interactivity with other parts of the park. It would be great to see a revamp of spinball to make it this good. Sadly though I expect we'll just see the branding removed with no attempt to make it look good, and a 'cut and paste' move to a new home on park in the future.

It always looks like its been put on some spare land like other parks do - and with all the other ride areas now well themed, for me it sticks out a bit.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Went to Chessie in April. Now ya mention it, Dragon's Fury was much smoother and probably better than spinball.
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
sweedish2009

The main difference is simple, Spinball looks temporary, Fury looks permanent.

You want a Maurer Söhne Spinning Coaster that looks permanent, fits with an area and will stand the test of time, look no further than Winjas at Phantasialand!

Epic ride, theming, layout. It's HOW it should be done. And if that whole area gets a full re-theme it deserves along with Storybook Land and Old MacDonald's Farm, you have the potential for an amazing area of the park for kids.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
cookiee_munster

i think old mcdonalds farm could have a medieval theme. with knights and princesses dragons and other mythical beasts.
the farm area could just be made to look like a medieval village, its close enough already. riverbank eye spy could still remain a riverboat attraction but more of jungle cruise type feel going and looking out for magical creatures like unicorns etc etc.
around the riverbank area a new coaster could be built. a suspended one like nemesis but obvs one of those 2seater/smaller versions based around a journey with a dragon or something?
the ice ring tent could then be used for some kind of merlin show of some sort. something to do with magic and beasts etc.

and adventure land? id actually turn that into an enclosed indoor area. obviously something as grand as Mermaid Lagoon at Tokyo Disney Sea would be amazing. obvs funds aren't enough to pull off anything that elaborate, but id love to see something indoor like a huge kids play area...
roary01

cookiee_munster wrote: i think old mcdonalds farm could have a medieval theme. with knights and princesses dragons and other mythical beasts.
the farm area could just be made to look like a medieval village, its close enough already. riverbank eye spy could still remain a riverboat attraction but more of jungle cruise type feel going and looking out for magical creatures like unicorns etc etc.
around the riverbank area a new coaster could be built. a suspended one like nemesis but obvs one of those 2seater/smaller versions based around a journey with a dragon or something?
the ice ring tent could then be used for some kind of merlin show of some sort. something to do with magic and beasts etc.

and adventure land? id actually turn that into an enclosed indoor area. obviously something as grand as Mermaid Lagoon at Tokyo Disney Sea would be amazing. obvs funds aren't enough to pull off anything that elaborate, but id love to see something indoor like a huge kids play area...
Correct me if im wrong but didn't we have a medievil village area in what is now mutiny bay??
Merrie England, okay it wasn't as spectacular as an area described above, but if its already been done i don't think it should be done again..
An also i don't see why people are adding the farmyard into this, i think its one of the best areas for kids on the whole park and feels like a complete area, in my view its just storybook land/adventure land that need to be merged and worked on..