The Future of Sonic Spinball

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
clayj

I suppose that may work... not sold on the theme. But place the majority of the track in a shed hidden behind a fancy facade. The only part of the ride I'd say to leave out would be the two heavily banked turn around (similar to Crush's coaster @ DLP)

[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Gax

Now that we're reaching the back end of the season, and with the news about Cebeebies Land, what do we think is going to happen to Spinball?

The sponsorship deal with Sega runs out at the end of this year and people have spoken about the ride being moved in the past, but surely we would have seen plans for this sent out by now?

So will we see a simple re-theme back to Spinball Whizzer, a renewing of the Sega contract, or an entirely new theme, maybe with Adventureland becoming part of Cebeebies Land and Spinball receiving some kind of related theme?
Burniel

Don't think the cbeebies scenario would happen now.

The zingzillas spinner! ;)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Jack

^aw, HELL NO, renewing of SEGA contract over that any day
Burniel

I'd prefer them to renew it, but it's better to retheme than to knock down!
obliviongirl

I think that Spinaball is either going to be reverted back to the Spinball Whizzer or the contract with Sega will be renewed to keep the ride as Sonic Spinball. To me, it seems unlikely that it will be made part of Cbeebies Land, as the ride is a bit too 'extreme' for young toddlers, so there would be very little point.
However, I like the idea that some of you have suggested of moving the ride to a pirate/water area and theming the carriages as cannonballs. To be honest, I think that theme would be more successful than the Sonic one is now.
lucky13

For me extend it into cebbeebies land and turn it into a tree fu tom coaster.
Thats how we roll SLIDERS
Burniel

When the contract dies in 2016, why not move it to LEGOLAND?
rhino18

^They are lacking in coasters, yes. However, if it is staying until at least 2016 (which it almost certainly will be), it is pretty clear that Merlin want the coaster at AT.
Mark.aa

Ilovecoasters wrote: When the contract dies in 2016, why not move it to LEGOLAND?
You'd never see that at Legoland, too big, not the target age group.
Jungle coaster was removed and sent to Legoland Florida (formerly cypress gardens) as a swap for Storm Surge now at Thorpe due to ongoing noise complaints from the nearby St Leonard's Hill residents in Windsor. Jungle Coaster was a crazy mouse coaster, they had to retro fit lids on the cars to keep in the screaming quiet to keep the residents happy.
The heavy perspex lids killed the sense of speed, adults had to sit at the rear as no head room, longer loading times led to massive queues. That was the end. Also the windscreen meant that on ride photos could not be taken any more. Legoland's hotel now sits on its old site.
There's no room for an off the shelf ride that size in Legoland now,
Last edited by Mark.aa on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhino18

^Well, it's slightly smaller than the Jungle Coaster.....

http://rcdb.com/8280.htm
Last edited by rhino18 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newrider

Put it inside a massive building with no lights, paint the track black and put a few disco balls on the floor.

Why not? It worked for Crush's Coaster, which everyone knows is the best spinning coaster in the WORLD *ever*! ;)
Last edited by newrider on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenBowser

newrider wrote: Why not? It worked for Crush's Coaster, which everyone knows is the best spinning coaster in the WORLD *ever*! ;)
Nice themeing, crap layout though. The king is fury at cwoa ;)
Luviico

I do fear for Spinball as it doesn't really belong anywhere. It's just stuck in the middle, if anything it should be moved and re-themed to fit another area. It's a very popular ride at the park so I don't think AT will be letting it go any time soon.
Credit to lewis97 for my awesome sig
lf2001

I dont see Spinball lasting much longer unfortunately. The ride is great, but I think it will either be re-themed into an indoor coaster, which would actually be really good, or removed completely and be replaced by another family coaster. I think when Spinball goes, the whole of Adventure Land should get a re-theme too.
Burniel

Spinball goes in 2016 ...

SW9 opens on the site in 2019
Dom

This coaster is like Marmite. You either love it or hate it. I think this is actually a great family coaster and should stay in the park for quite a few years yet. I, personally, would love to see this ride moved to Gloomy Wood and have the cars themed to Spinning Pumpkins. Yes I know that space would be an issue etc, but I reckon it could be exactly what Gloomy Wood could do with. By moving it, it also frees up more space for an extension to Cbeebies land. 
Last edited by Dom on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

Pizzazz wrote: This coaster is like Marmite. You either love it or hate it. I think this is actually a great family coaster and should stay in the park for quite a few years yet. I, personally, would love to see this ride moved to Gloomy Wood and have the cars themed to Spinning Pumpkins. Yes i know that space would be an issue etc, but i reckon it could be exactly what Gloomy Wood could do with. By moving it, it also free's up more space for an extension to Cbeebies land.
What a fantastic idea! Slight spacing issue, but I personally would remove haunted hollow.

Then on the site, and expansion to Cbeebies land or SW9! (Or both ;))
Dom

Ilovecoasters wrote:
Pizzazz wrote: This coaster is like Marmite. You either love it or hate it. I think this is actually a great family coaster and should stay in the park for quite a few years yet. I, personally, would love to see this ride moved to Gloomy Wood and have the cars themed to Spinning Pumpkins. Yes i know that space would be an issue etc, but i reckon it could be exactly what Gloomy Wood could do with. By moving it, it also free's up more space for an extension to Cbeebies land.
What a fantastic idea! Slight spacing issue, but I personally would remove haunted hollow.

Then on the site, and expansion to Cbeebies land or SW9! (Or both ;))
I would keep Haunted Hollow too, because it is a great shortcut from Battle Galleons to Gloomy Wood. You could squeeze it into the bit where the musical tombstones are. Just cut a few trees down and it should fit there. The space there is actually quite a big clearing.
Burniel

Also true!