The Future of RITA..

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
NemesisRider

I would not expect Rita to be moved.

What I would like would be for Rita to become dueling as it would increase throughput and would not need any special timers, just for the launches to be simultaneous.
Alex

You do realise how much that would reduce throughput since they would have to wait for the other train to be ready to launch, plus where would the other track go?
NemesisRider

In parallel to Rita.
Burniel

:lol but there's no space
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Alex

nemesisrider wrote:In parallel to Rita.
I've had an idea, why not do one launch forward and one backwards ;)
NemesisRider

Dan.B wrote::lol but there's no space
They could make space... ](*,)
Sr88

I reckon they could make space, but the cost would be too high and not worth it.

(On a quick sidenote, nemesisrider, whatever happened to having a picture of Nemesis! This can't be right :no: ;) )
NemesisRider

Sr88, your wish is my command. ^

It would be expensive to make space but a feeling Rita would be awesome. Awesome, but impractical.
stealthsmiler

The investment wouldn't increase gate figures though as people wouldn't want to travel to ride a new ride, identical to an old one. Maybe a cool idea for Ritas replacement would be to have a multi launch coaster where the second launch duels the first one. So it is almost like going round twice.
Alton13Nemesis

just remove the trash from DF entirely and build a walkthrough or flat ride attraction instead alongside the TH13TEEN theme.
NemesisRider

Rita is a very popular ride. It has the 3rd longest queue, after The Smiler and Sonic Spinball.

The theming is terrible but people are prepared to wait a long time to ride it because they view it as a good ride. Whilst lots of people here may hate Rita, the general public don't. And, the more people from the general public who come to ride Rita, the more profit Merlin makes from tickets.
Alex

I wouldnt say people go to AT just to ride Rita so not sure you can say it affects the profit Merlin make.

Also it might have one of the longest queues timewise but not necessarily amount of people in the queue due to the throughput of the ride.
Alton13Nemesis

I think its more to do with the poor throughput of the ride
Burniel

Alex wrote:not sure you can say it affects the profit Merlin make.
Well they can still make money on fastrack tickets, on-ride photos and shops in the area, so the removal of Rita would have a slight affect.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Alex

Dan.B wrote:
Well they can still make money on fastrack tickets, on-ride photos and shops in the area, so the removal of Rita would have a slight affect.
You could pretty much say that about any ride. But the way he said tickets I think he meant entrance tickets.
NemesisRider

Alex wrote:
Dan.B wrote:
You could pretty much say that about any ride. But the way he said tickets I think he meant entrance tickets.
Entrance or fastracks, I knew people who would go to AT to ride Rita because it was the biggest ride they could do without being scared out of their wits. Please bear in mind I was in year 5 at this point and only just tall enough to do 1.4m rides.

Still, the best way to get on Rita quickly is to be stuck a ride breakdown, ask for compensation then you can get a free fast-track for any 1.4m ride excluding The Smiler.
Coaster Chall

I would not look much into this, but I saw an instagram story and someone says they have heard rumours about Rita being taken out sometime in 2020. Again, not looking into it much but I would keep half an eye out for this aha 
Swarm Chris

Rita, along with Nemesis, featured as a peculiar question on the guest feedback machines earlier on in the season, with the purpose of the question seeminy to be to guage visitor interest in the attractions.

Could certainly speculate that the only reason they'd be asking about 2 named attractions, was to aid in deciding an attraction's future. Given that it seems highly unlikely the park would ever get rid of Nemesis, I'd say a reasonable speculation would be the question was used to determine Rita's popularity against a Nemesis baseline. A low popularity score would make ideal ammunition for a project lead wanting to use that space for something new.

It should also be noted that Rita is the Resort's most expensive attraction to maintain by considerable margin. Couple that with Stealth having required repairs to the hydraulic system mid-season that caused not only a lengthy shut down of the ride but I would suspect had a significant cost itself, I'd have to assume the question has been raised about Rita's value for money as a continuing attraction.
Coaster Chall

Absolutely. Could this be the first signs of a new launch coaster for SW9? We have been asking for years for a woodie and we have one now, is Intamin or Mack Rides next? It is definitely interesting signs
PhNx Survivor

What's interesting is that if it were an Intamin Blitz.. it wouldn't necessarily be the same model as 'Taron' for example.. as that is the older model of the coaster I believe. (Check that).

Not that there is anything wrong with Intamin's new model.. It would be interesting to see Towers invest in a Mack Multilaunch that uses the surrounding terrain along with a very tiny section of the valley that hugs the terrain..

I would also say a Vekoma Launch coaster could be a possibility.. but then again their new models are quite demanding on the restrictions that AT have.. regardless.. the coaster "should" be a thrill attraction if anything from previous coasters has anything to do with it..

As for Rita.. I don't see her leaving anytime soon.. it's too popular with the GP.. with a bunch of different YouTube channels already discussing this exact issue.. Ideally it should be the one to go, as compared to other coasters of its type , regardless of make, it's extremely boring, (personally), and is always broken down whenever I visit AT.. so like what has been stated, it must be a maintenance nightmare and expensive attraction to keep open with what today's technology can offer.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”