The Future of RITA..

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Vladimir Bobinski

Well you certainly wouldn't be able to structurally alter them without consulting Intamin, no.  IE, drilling mounting holes in them.
DrReeve

Theming is something it needs but i cant see merlin doing anything this late
Image credit to Lewis97
Fishfingerish

jamjamz wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote: I just think it needs themeing better have vines going up the coasters supports.
Correct me if im wrong but i think, due to health and safety you cant put nothing on the supports of the coaster.
Double negative
Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial
RhysLocke444

I think that RITA will be the next major coaster to leave the site. I just think there would be better coasters to put near Th13teen in the Dark Forest. However its unlikely to go anytime soon because the queue is usually the longest for RITA. Mind you, this could be because of occasional technical faults and throughput.
MJNemesis

I don't think anything will change except maybe a change of paint.

Unless they remove it in the plans to redevelop the Air car park. Although to utilise the space between Dark Forest and Forbidden valley to the extent where Rita would need to be removed would require some large scale deforestation.

As there are future plans to create a new entrance behind Nemesis it would make sense for the station of a new 'cross valley' coaster to be in that area which wouldn't require the Rita space.

I really don't know. I guess only Merlin know the answer.
Benji

I'd love to see them build a proper station, but one that would not block out the view of thirteen as you enter. Something along the lines of a meduim sized cottage with loads of vines wrapped around it and also have 1/4 of the launch section tunnelled off with vines/trees surrounding it. Repaint the track brown/dark green, get rid of the whole dragster theme, repaint the trains black and please please please add lap bars!! Make a new route for the queueline freeing up space in the middle of the dark forest and have the last bit of the queueline enclosed with a derelict, abondoned feel leading up in to the station

Here's a quick story I came up with to go with this re-theme:

One the night of Rita's thirteenth birthday, she and her friends went down in to the woods in a small village called Alton, but what they didn't know was what lurked beneath the undergrowth...
The kids stumbled upon what looked like an old, abondoned crypt, with smashed glass and twisted vines travelling all up the sides. After thinking of what to do for a good 10 minutes the kids decided to play a game they all new best; hide and seek. Rita, being the oldest of the group, was chosen to be the first person to count.

"1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9..10..11..12..13-"

A cloak of dirty brown material masked her face. She let out a shrieking scream before - darkness..

When Rita awoke, she found herself trapped inside an abandoned, overgrown cottage, with no known way of escape. She could sense the hooded figures lurking near by. She searched throughout the cottage for hours until she noticed a door hidden behind a bookcase...it was the garage. In there sat an old black car with the key still left inside. The engine reeved, the petal hit the floor, the car lights switched on, she thought to herself "Go, Go, Go!" The car smashed through the garage door and disappeared in to the thick, twisted mess of vines which grasped a hold of the whole cottage.

Rita still hasn't been found, but locals say you can still hear the sounds of the car engine reeving to try escape. And the 13 numbers she spoke still echo through the woods of the area known as the Dark Forest..
Last edited by Benji on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
Jack

^ THANK GOD that AT read these forums and may even listen to that, I think that could even go up against the Nemmy story it is THAT good :D
TheOutpatient

This is good stuff.

If you don't have heavy strobing in the tunnel, theres this idea where you move (somewhat graphical) lights along at the same/similar speed to the car for some real disorientation, this idea actual comes from AT:
On their advert for the Smiler their are some spiral lights around the indoor barrel roll that move in time with the car. One thing though! It is safe to say though that these must happen a short distance infront of your ride vehicle cause no one is gonna be looking to their side on Rita haha.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Dom

that idea above for the back story is really good but 1 tiny hole in the story. is the garage floating. because rita, if i remember correctly, isnt on ground height.. sorry to pick. but love the whole concept. i personally think the only thing rita needs is a bit of themeing change. the ride herself is brilliant. its simple yet effective and going on it when it was in ERT was the greatest wake up call ever. 
swalesuk01

I may be taking the simple view but you could just make it look like it is on a hill that would solve the problem and you could hide some of the line which will give cover and opportunity for extra theming inside the hill
TheOutpatient

Pizzazz wrote: that idea above for the back story is really good but 1 tiny hole in the story. is the garage floating. because rita, if i remember correctly, isnt on ground height.. sorry to pick. but love the whole concept. i personally think the only thing rita needs is a bit of themeing change. the ride herself is brilliant. its simple yet effective and going on it when it was in ERT was the greatest wake up call ever.
While I would be perfectly happy with a slightly floaty garage it does raise the question of where are the lines drawn and why? What is ok and what is not in terms of theming.
Rita is kind of unique in that there is a story/justification for the coaster cars (being that they are road going cars) but if you take Th13teen (for example) there is no story/justification of the ride car - it uses much vaguer ways to relate to the rest of the ride such as the colour palette and a veiny branchy effect in the fibre glass. It uses this whole idea of copying the reality of something made/built/born with a purpose and then pasting it on to something that couldn't have that same purpose - its just 'theming', or maybe be "branding" is the word. I think fonts for your word processor work in a similar way.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Benji

Pizzazz wrote: that idea above for the back story is really good but 1 tiny hole in the story. is the garage floating. because rita, if i remember correctly, isnt on ground height.. sorry to pick. but love the whole concept. i personally think the only thing rita needs is a bit of themeing change. the ride herself is brilliant. its simple yet effective and going on it when it was in ERT was the greatest wake up call ever.
The story was just a quick thing i came up with but if I remember correctly, Rita's launch is going up at a really slight angle so at the start of the launch it isn't as high up as at the end of the launch. But I guess making it look like it's on a hill with loads of vines could work

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
jmed

I like this idea of the thirteen cross story. But whatever the story, the important thing is that I doubt the track will ever be changed, its not that simple to add a loop, the physics are more complex than RCT has to offer, but a good back story, excellent themeing, enclosed station. these are all potential ideas which wouldn't cost much and would be a great addition.

They may not be done just randomly but maybe as part of a marketing campaign to go with a decent flat added to the dark forest.
Jack

^ what if they changed the airtime hills to 0-G-Rolls (not loops;)), isn't exactly something that can be done in rct3, is it? ;) :D
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

I love Rita as a ride. But I have a feeling it will be long gone EVEN BEFORE Nemmy and Oblivion (personally my 2 fav attractions. Basically these are my thoughts:

1) It's not unique enough. It's not a cherished Secret weapon and it's only thrill is the launch at the start. Adding a loop or a few rolls or even A FLIPPING TUNNEL would be an improvement! But it would need new track and is unlikely to ever happen.
2) It doesn't fit in. Come on, possessed by trees??! I always thought Alton were mad when they did this 'refurb' to tie in with the Dark Forest. There is no racing car themed area with pit stop cafés and Route 66 rides and the only area it could fit in with is X Sector. Give it a black paint rusty feel of a wild race car and yeah, it might work. But with the Smiler just in, again, never gonna happen

Do while I hope the Queen of Speed stays, I'd give 10 years before they run out of room for better secret weapons.  :(
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
Altontowersbarlow

I am sorry if this has been said already. I think that it would of been nice to theme Rita as an out of control vine of the dark forest. Paint it dark green to make it look like a vine, make Rita's trains have vines up them like th13teens trains. Have the ride op cabin overgrown with vines and maybe have the queue line fence's painted green. Also have an overgrown statue of some sort like a wraith in the que line somewhere. Instead of just "you must escape" the voice would say,The vine's are taking over you mustn't get tangled go go go or something like that. The ride operative cabin could also have green lights on it or something like that. :)
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

I love where Rita is situated its theme and the ride itself. Rita and th13teen really complement each other well
schmatt

Always wanted Dark Forest to be themed around the Hex story to help tie everything in together.

The witches Curse has become stronger and now the entire forest has come to life, his daughter, known for sleepwalking ventured into the forest alone one night (thirteen girl) The Earl sent 13 of his best men out to find and retrieve his daughter and were told not to return until she was found. Days went by before any sightings of her untill they noticed a small girl wondering into the church building. The Earl's staff all ran into the building at once where his daughter was found cowering upstairs in the corner of the room. She counted the earl's staff one by one, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13. All the candles burnt out and the old beggars laughter was heard. She cursed the 13 men to never be able to leave the forrest and to harm anyone that tries to harm it (wraiths)

With the disappearance of his daughter and staff the earl began to panic and fled to his horse and carriage (new rita trains themed to this) where he desperately tried to escape, however he too had been cursed and is unable to leave despite how hard he tries, his carriage is always spun back round to bring him back. This allows the station to work as although you must escape, you are unable to therefore return trapped in the dark forrest.
Altontowersbarlow

I apologise for bringing up an old topic but after thinking about Rita earlier I realised that Rita is not as out of place as it first seems. We all know that Rita has not followed the transition of Ug land to the Dark Forest very well and I agree that it could have been themed more carefully however I was thinking and realised that the story of Th13teen does support the Theme of Rita slightly. Th13teen's backstory as we know is a crypt being discovered, resulting in a curse turning the area into a haunted and tangled forest. Th13teen was "discovered" and created the Dark forest meaning Th13teen was the cause of the Dark Forest claiming the surrounding area and turning it into the New area. This is how Rita fits in. Rita was previously on the site of Ug land raceway before the discovery of Th13teen but when Th13teen was discovered the forest took over and transformed the once vibrant colours of Ug land into a dark rotting area overgrown by Vines. Over the years of the Dark Forest gaining control of the previous area (including Rita) it has rotted the buildings and overgrown Rita; now not used for Racing but for escaping from the Dark forest, it's control box still standing. I hope this makes sense and I'm sure many of you have realised this for along time however I just wanted to show that Rita is not an entirely new Roller coaster as it has not changed it's purpose but is now taken over by the Dark Forest. :)
mattiepearce

I have thought of it this way and think you are on to something.