The Future of RITA..

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
MattsDesigns

Thanks man.

Tesla coils are pretty awesome – the one in Th13teen should probably be showcased/framed more. Now that you mention the theme of Science meets Supernatural it becomes apparent to me that that that is in the park lol.... Its in the Hex story/theming  and Th13teen with the Tesla Coil – and thinking of things like Frankenstein and other mad scientists it seems this is a very worthy themepark theme. Just how would you fit in a Tesla coil real or fake with all the trimmings? –MAYBE this could be what powers the car to get away – you use the technology of the Wraiths against them.

You’d have bushings, big transformers  and a green emerald in a coil and wrapped with branches or summing? then you plough through a gateway where you’ve got – the conductive dome thingies at the top. Be awesome if you could crank it up really high but the noise might be horrendous and high amounts off electricity might cause exposure time problems with staff, so maybe fake is more appropriate.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Kenzie2012

The Moon wrote: Lightning is dark... Not literally but it is associated with 'dark' things, Dark Forest is an example. I don't like your attitude,the reason I came across rude to you is the simple fact you were passive and rude to an idea not even expanded on, and that is out of order.
Meh - tbh, I'm not bothered.
Don't put words into my post and you'll do fine.

What Rita ( and the rest of the park) needs is TLC.... It is a good ride and fills a quota.
Every park needs some speed based ride to it, the sheer buzz a launch ride induces - its huge.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
cookiee_munster

MattsDesigns wrote: Thanks man.

Tesla coils are pretty awesome – the one in Th13teen should probably be showcased/framed more. Now that you mention the theme of Science meets Supernatural it becomes apparent to me that that that is in the park lol.... Its in the Hex story/theming  and Th13teen with the Tesla Coil – and thinking of things like Frankenstein and other mad scientists it seems this is a very worthy themepark theme. Just how would you fit in a Tesla coil real or fake with all the trimmings? –MAYBE this could be what powers the car to get away – you use the technology of the Wraiths against them.

You’d have bushings, big transformers  and a green emerald in a coil and wrapped with branches or summing? then you plough through a gateway where you’ve got – the conductive dome thingies at the top. Be awesome if you could crank it up really high but the noise might be horrendous and high amounts off electricity might cause exposure time problems with staff, so maybe fake is more appropriate.
i think if anything, id keep the wraiths, but actually unveil them as part scientists part cult followers. science meets paganism. ish. rita could be some kind of experiment to go into another realm? "the otherside" the launch could be some kind of build up to cross over, involving the tesla coil. thats how id theme it anyway.

oh, and id rename the stupid thing.
Benjsh

I seem to be alone in this opinion by the looks of things, But I find Rita rather dull and pointless. So much so that if the queue is longer than 15-20 mins, I don't even bother riding anymore.

The queue is always huge and for what? A decent launch and then a brisk roll around a really dull layout of track. It literally does nothing. Maybe I'v been spoiled by the likes of Kingda Ka and Storm Runner that have more to them than just a launch. But that's what I can't understand, why build a launch coaster when you can't go high? Things that are generally 'launched' go pretty high.

And as many people have already stated, The themeing is pretty horrendous. It doesn't mesh at all well with it's new surroundings and just stands out like a sore thumb.

I don't even like the name....Rita. It's a roller coaster for crying out loud not a little girls' dolly. Names are supposed to strike fear or mystery. Nemesis, Oblivion, Thirteen, Air, Colossus, Stealth etc.....

I wouldn't be the least bit bothered if they ripped it out and replaced it with something better in the not too distant future.

I'm sure others will....But I certainly won't miss it.
scott.smith

Agreed, It's not hard to do and will not cost a lot, i don't think !
bensaund

Rita is not the best but it is a ride and if people are willing to queue 30-40 mins for it then I see no reason to get rid of it.
I'm sure Alton Would love a Stealth or Kingda Ka, but we lost Thunderlooper as it was too high :-( so unless Alton grown some very big trees, we are stuck not not very high rides.
If you go down to the woods today
Jammydodger

Oblivion really isn't that much smaller than Stealth.
Height wasn't an issue, it was just a lack of creativity.
bensaund

Stealth is 205ft high, Oblivion is no where near as high
If you go down to the woods today
Jammydodger

Oblivion is 180, there's only 20ft in it.
My point is Height never proved an issue for Oblivion, they could have done anything with Rita if they had bothered to put any thought into it.
PeteMadden

I'm sure Oblivion is only 100? I might be mistaken though.
The Moon

Ahem 60 feet.
Stealth is 205.
145 foot difference.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
PeteMadden

60?! Wow that's even smaller than I thought it was! I just always thought it was 100 because I've always been sure someone mentioned it was 100 feet on Alton Towers Magic Factory
Jammydodger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblivion_% ... coaster%29
Drop 180 ft (55 m)
http://www.altontowers.com/rides-and-at ... /oblivion/
Maximum height: 60 metres
Which is actually more than 180ft, closer to 200 in fact.

It's the above ground structure that is 60 ft, my point is by digging they achieved what otherwise would have been perceived as impossible.

Why is the notion of a launched top hat style ride at Alton also an impossibility?
Last edited by Jammydodger on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Moon

Sorry, 65 foot. Checked rcdb, the only coaster site I trust, and Rita is 68 feet. Tallest coaster at Alton Towers by 3 feet.
It would have to be TINY or underground.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
jackgriffin7

The Moon wrote: Sorry, 65 foot. Checked rcdb, the only coaster site I trust, and Rita is 68 feet. Tallest coaster at Alton Towers by 3 feet.
It would have to be TINY or underground.
What Jammydodger is getting at is that the height of Oblivions drop which is 180 ft - not the height above ground. If the whole thing were above ground kinda like Oblivion's sister coaster in Taiwan it is only 25ft shorter than Stealth. It's just that Alton chose to put half of it in the ground because of the height restriction, therefore they could still have a tall coaster.
jackgriffin7

Rollermad wrote: It always has one of the biggest queues in the park!
The main reason for that is because of its low capacity. But yes it is still popular with the public (One of my favourites at Alton) primarily because of the launch feature.
vesty21

After today's incident a stronger launch cable is the first thing needing sorted!
PeteMadden

'The Future of RITA'...I can't say a bright one for me when I go tomorrow after all the recent news!
MattsDesigns

Sorry about that, Pete.

I guess the future of Rita now might be a metal grate/fence type stuff on 85% of the inside of the track  :D Hopefully the future is not the actual removal of Rita since that ride is still quite up to date.

The danger of cable snapping is real but probably less that what is stated. When they tested it on Mythbusters they couldn't get 5/8" cable to slice a pig in half- as many people say it would slice a person in half. They did, however manage to produce injuries that could be fatal - Its my guess that if the cable gets you in the THROAT - that is the worst area. The Rita cable is also thicker and I think there are ways lateral force can be added to the cable that they didn't test.

I reckon someone would probably buy that broken cable if put on ebay due to its fundamental involvement with the ride.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
PeteMadden

MattsDesigns wrote: Sorry about that, Pete.

I guess the future of Rita now might be a metal grate/fence type stuff on 85% of the inside of the track  :D Hopefully the future is not the actual removal of Rita since that ride is still quite up to date.

The danger of cable snapping is real but probably less that what is stated. When they tested it on Mythbusters they couldn't get 5/8" cable to slice a pig in half- as many people say it would slice a person in half. They did, however manage to produce injuries that could be fatal - Its my guess that if the cable gets you in the THROAT - that is the worst area. The Rita cable is also thicker and I think there are ways lateral force can be added to the cable that they didn't test.

I reckon someone would probably buy that broken cable if put on ebay due to its fundamental involvement with the ride.
Meh its okay, guess Spinball will have to replace it  :) I agree that the problem probably isn't as dangerous as stated but I wouldn't try my luck on it, its a minor problem I doubt that it will be demolished (but I will be very disappointed if it is).