The Future of Gloomy Wood- Upgrades Ideas

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Gloomy Wood is one of Alton Tower's smallest areas. With only 2 attractions and one being a walkthrough, there's not much to do but try to beat your high score on Duel. Pretty much all 'spooky ghost' areas of theme parks in the UK only have a few attractions. Take Chessington and Translyvania. So here's my ideas of how Towers could upgrade Gloomy Wood:

Roller Coaster: Gloomy Wood has nothing for thrill seekers so a thrill is essential. Just a simple coaster with a slight Towers twist but nothing mad like 20 inversions. Could be based around the Wolfman or 'the ultimate monster who stalks the Woods'

Kiddie Attraction: Could possibly be an IP. It could carry on the story of the Scarefest monsters; Skelvin, Patch, Franklin and co. It would also attract children to the area.

A moderatre Thrill atrraction: A ride to accompany Duel in the Laughs and Frights. A mini Disk-O something like this maybe

Watch do you think. Post your thoughts!
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

I don't think much will happen in this area due to tree removal. But a revamp of the HH I could see happening soon. Someday some space could be cleared behind Duel to create a small area, but they would then need a new area for storage.

A spider or octopus ride like they used to have in the Ninties is all I could see getting. No coasters, that broomstick plan will never happen... as it was fake. Alton wouldn't dare go through the process of cutting down trees. Even with that, Gloomy Wood is a small piece of land.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

True, Gloomy Wood is small but a few kids' attractions might be possible. The centre of the clearing is bare expect for the treats stand and a few games and the graveyards and outside queue line for Duel just fill up space especially because Duel's queue is rarely 5 minutes long.

Plus, there's the whole pathway that connects it to FV. If not, maybe Towers could relocate Gloomy Wood to a differnet part of the park and plant more of their beloved trees there.

CoasterCrazyChris

Not all trees are sacred you know. Some can be cut down without the permission of the council...

For example, anything that was planted when Gloomy Wood was built.

:)
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote: True, Gloomy Wood is small but a few kids' attractions might be possible. The centre of the clearing is bare expect for the treats stand and a few games and the graveyards and outside queue line for Duel just fill up space especially because Duel's queue is rarely 5 minutes long.

Plus, there's the whole pathway that connects it to FV. If not, maybe Towers could relocate Gloomy Wood to a differnet part of the park and plant more of their beloved trees there.
If this were to happen, I doubt Duel would go with it. And I couldn't see Gloomy Wood go anywhere else, as it blends into the area as a Gloomy Wood.

And if it were to be moved, Alton would have to fill it and we could still have a area with little attractions, so it is near pointless.

To be honest, the early Ninties areas are fine and shouldn't be tampered with.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
mrbrightside

The area is fine. There is very little that can be done with it without cutting down many, many trees - which, even if not protected, would defeat the entire object of having a 'Gloomy Wood'

While a small additional attraction would be nice, the only feasible area to use would be behind Duel, which would mean the park would need to find additional storage elsewhere. Utilising the Duel extended queue would again be a no-no - because removal of trees would once again defeat the point of it being a 'wood'.

Besides, there are far more important matters that the park should be looking to. Such as a potential Dark Forest flat or attraction, or a replacement for Beastie.
ImageImage
CoasterCrazyChris

Both Gloomy Wood and Katanga Canyon need money spent on them to get them back up to scratch.

At the moment they are a bit tired and faded (and not in a way which adds to the theme either).

A new adventure play area on top of the tunnel would really add to Katanga Canyon, whilst Gloomy Wood could benefit from a supporting family flat ride.

Most of the trees in Gloomy Wood are NOT protected and are of little value to anyone. Conifers trees would not be found in a wood anyway.....so cut them down.

:)
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigAl

Something that swoops through the trees, over the paths and all around Gloomy Wood might be good? The launched broomstick coaster looked nice but I think I'd prefer something that swings as it's not something that the park currently offers.
mrbrightside

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Both Gloomy Wood and Katanga Canyon need money spent on them to get them back up to scratch.

At the moment they are a bit tired and faded (and not in a way which adds to the theme either).

Most of the trees in Gloomy Wood are NOT protected and are of little value to anyone. Conifers trees would not be found in a wood anyway.....so cut them down.
I don't think either theme is particularly faded... In fact, I would still say that Katanga is one of my favourites in the park! Also, again, to your point on trees... I know that they are not protected for the most part, but they ARE of value! It is a themed wood, for it to remain gloomy, and wood-like, it needs a very large number of trees. Cutting back on the trees would make the area feel far too open, not quite on the scale of Dark Forest, but open nonetheless.
BigAl wrote:Something that swoops through the trees, over the paths and all around Gloomy Wood might be good? The launched broomstick coaster looked nice but I think I'd prefer something that swings as it's not something that the park currently offers.
A themed one of these: http://www.zamperla.com/en/product/22/air-force.html

Jokes!
ImageImage
BigAl

mrbrightside wrote:
BigAl wrote:Something that swoops through the trees, over the paths and all around Gloomy Wood might be good? The launched broomstick coaster looked nice but I think I'd prefer something that swings as it's not something that the park currently offers.
A themed one of these: http://www.zamperla.com/en/product/22/air-force.html

Jokes!
Sorted! :lol:

Something less bulky, more intense and themed to ghosts or witches would be brilliant though! :)
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

BigAl wrote: Something that swoops through the trees, over the paths and all around Gloomy Wood might be good? The launched broomstick coaster looked nice but I think I'd prefer something that swings as it's not something that the park currently offers.
Good idea but, after all of this talk about no room and can't cut down the trees, it's unlikely that Towers could find space to build a launch coaster in the sky. It would probably end up swinging into a 'precious conifer'

mrbrightside

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote:a 'precious conifer'
You're entirely missing the point. Whether the trees are protected or not, you cannot have a themed wood without a lot of trees! Or you end up with something like the Dark Forest!
ImageImage
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

mrbrightside wrote: Whether the trees are protected or not, you cannot have a themed wood without a lot of trees! Or you end up with something like the Dark Forest!
That's where you have to chose. Between:

1. A brilliantly themed area with only one good ride
2. An area with lots of great rides but quite average theming.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather ride a thrill than admire trees.

JaykeAT

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote:
mrbrightside wrote: Whether the trees are protected or not, you cannot have a themed wood without a lot of trees! Or you end up with something like the Dark Forest!

problem is though,families love that area,i doubt alton would move a good area like that for a cheap thrill
Ritadz

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote:

So basically you want the park to become Six Flags UK?

I'd much rather have the wonderful woodland atmosphere of Alton than just a big car park full of rides.
BigAl

The woodland is part of the atmosphere of Gloomy Wood, so constructing a small family swinging coaster that makes use of the wonderful surroundings would be great. A ride doesn't have to be thrilling to be fun.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Ritadz wrote: So basically you want the park to become Six Flags UK?
No. But those parks are littered with coasters. The woodland is good but if you look at my original topic starting post, you'll see that I think Gloomy Wood should be thrills and family. I'm all in for eco-friendly but do we really have to be theme park hippy and 'protect the trees!! :D'

BigAl

There's a difference between being an eco-nut and keeping trees to add to the atmosphere of an area. It's not really Gloomy Wood without the WOOD. :lol:
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

But that's like saying, without trees and plants, Dark Forest isn't a FOREST!

So, does that mean that Towers should re-name the area 'Dark Clearing with a Few Rides and Loads of Tacky Game Stalls Which is Actually Only Dark At Night'?
Cos' that's not very catchy. :(

BigAl

But the Dark Forest is surrounded by trees. 85% of Th13teen is hidden by trees and Rita's two large turns go around trees. It might not be as dense as people would like, but it's in a forest, nonetheless. :)