The Future of Gloomy Wood- Upgrades Ideas

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
sibic

you could try a Twist and Turn Coaster (http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amuseme ... fault.aspx) would be diffrent to what we have all ready and has a small foot print so less trees need to go and a max pph of 1500 so a simple layout keeping most of it in the trees would be fun and not to intrusive
Coasteraddict

So effectively another Spinball wizzer?  :x
Slappy McGuire

How about this - something in some way themed around 'Hall of the Mountain King' - possibly a walk-through ride similar to Saw Alive, but with the USP being split into nine constantly shifting rooms, making you think you are walking back into a room you were just in, but it has subtly changed into something much, much creepier?

All of the time, the music plays through the duration, leading to some shock crescendo in a huge hall, where possibly the floor appears to open above a huge pit filled with spikes, and the ceiling stars to descend, before someone opens a hidden door, and ushers people out?

Just a thought...
Last edited by Slappy McGuire on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
sibic

No not really.  it would be like the train is hunted also track type is very clean so little disruption would be inter action with trees. nice open cars so you can see and you feel vulnerable.
BigAl

I've been working on a ride design over the past couple of days that may coincidentally fit into Gloomy Wood.

It's basically just your average flying carpet ride (exactly like the one at Thorpe) but the carpet is instead a large, crumbling stone coffin and the supports that hold it up are grave stones with vines around them. The platform below is dug up dirt (where the coffin would obviously be raised from) and the arms that swing around with the coffin are themed as rusty spades.

I've called my idea 'Grave Digger', but something more tongue-in-cheek like 'Grave Robber' might be better for Gloomy Wood as it would go with some of the more comedic elements that can be found throughout Duel.

Alton used to have 1001 Nights, but that wasn't exactly the same, and it also had a different theme and left the park quite a while ago, so it might work. Plus, Quantum is a family ride and it doesn't take up very much space and it would definitely be a very cheap addition to the park, so they could add one along side another attraction or in a small investment year.

It's just an idea though. I may upload the sketch in a few days and see what people think. :)
altontowers101

I think that they should have a one rail suspended swing coaster thing like the pteradon flyers at universal studios
:P
scott.smith

I would really like to see a area retheme as this area is almost identical to Dark Forest, in my crazy mind i would like Alton to take up a Sherlock Holmes ip and it would be intresting to see what they do with it, especially duel
Themeparksandy1981

scott.smith wrote: I would really like to see a area retheme as this area is almost identical to Dark Forest, in my crazy mind i would like Alton to take up a Sherlock Holmes ip and it would be intresting to see what they do with it, especially duel
Im sorry but dark forest is a poor mans gloomy wood.
Kenzie2012

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
scott.smith wrote: I would really like to see a area retheme as this area is almost identical to Dark Forest, in my crazy mind i would like Alton to take up a Sherlock Holmes ip and it would be intresting to see what they do with it, especially duel
Im sorry but dark forest is a poor mans gloomy wood.
Agreed..... Gloomy wood is an original, Dark Forest is a poor rip off and should be the area thats changed.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Boz

This is just an idea, albeit, very far fetched, and not at all likely.
Given that the MDTP showed a possible park entrance relocation to the area behind duel (I REALLY don't want that to happen BTW), how would you all feel about a duel relocation to dark forest. It is an extreme improbability, but not impossible to achieve.
I personally think the themes would clash but it wouldn't look out of place, and a slight re theme could be applied to achieve the desired effect. Get rid of the guns and have an abandoned house in the dark forest where you have to escape the wraiths.
the move would also free up that area to make an effective new entrance area. If i was towers management, and i was considering moving the park entrance to the designated area, but didn't want to lose a great ride system, this idea could be a serious consideration.

your thoughts? And please bear in mind i have stated it is NOT something i want to see happen, just an idea :)
scott.smith

Does sound rather intresting a nice filler ride for TH13TEEN and Rita, also may give the area the theming it should have had in the first place
cookiee_munster

but where would a ride the size of duels warehouse go in the dark forest???

Me? id love to see the place get a re-theme back to its more haunted/magical theme. get wrid of the zombies and the guns and basically make the haunted house a good ol' dark ride.
scott.smith

I never have never been on the haunted house but i would imagine it being boring without the guns, correct me if i am wrong but that is my opinion 
cookiee_munster

scott.smith wrote: I never have never been on the haunted house but i would imagine it being boring without the guns, correct me if i am wrong but that is my opinion
a good dark ride can be entertaining without the need of rider interaction ie guns. sure its fun, i think something like that could be used somewhere else. Take Disney's Haunted Mansion or Phantom Manor attractions, they are good old classic dark rides that take you through a series of scenes and tell a story in a macabre fun type of way! :)

The original haunted house wasn't the greatest dark ride of all time, but it was a lot better than Duel. it could be a really good dark ride if people came up with a good enough story not to use just in the ride but integrate the rest of gloomy wood.
scruffy_

It's amazing how big the warehouse that houses the haunted house actually is

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29432635@N ... otostream/
scott.smith

I think that is even bigger than CATCF, i am really really suprised
bringbackthevintagecars

hmmmmm, new mini indoor rollercoaster coming to the area, maybe  :roll:
BRING BACK THE VINTAGE CARS!!!              PLEASE
scott.smith

If a new attraction i think it should be a themed peal powered track ride that goes through the tree's awsome fun

Edit: also thinking about it you could have two tracks dueling each other so the riders race each other, look at me with awsome ideas ;)
DrReeve

Maybe a drop tower that is a small area covered even it could be incoporated in the house. When you reach the top You see Zombies with the red eyes standing next to it. People would be more scared of getting away from these monsters rather than worrying about the drop tower.

Maybe unreasonable but cool
Image credit to Lewis97
deckers

have any of you heard of slender man? i think it could be incorporated into a small attraction somehow, maybe for dark forest instead?or even a scarefest attraction?
just an idea