Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
rollercoaster_crazy

Just Published in the Sentinel:
Alton Towers plans third hotel in expansion bid
Wednesday, May 06, 2009, .

ALTON Towers is considering building a third hotel as part of a multi-million pound, 10-year plan to consolidate the resort's position as the country's number one theme park.
Parent company Merlin Entertainments is to outline the proposals to the district council within the next two months.
The blueprint will include a substantial investment in new rides, infrastructure and heritage features, as well as the provision of further on-site accommodation.
The resort is currently responsible for 2,900 jobs – and £38 million of income – in the local economy.
A third hotel would provide a major jobs boost for the area.
Alton Towers took on 240 staff to run Splash Landings when that hotel opened in 2003.
At present, a total of 1,594 guests can be accommodated on-site every night, in the 13-year-old 175-room Alton Towers Hotel and at Splash Landings itself, which has 216-rooms and also features an indoor water park.
Alton Towers' corporate communications manager Liz Greenwood said: "We have conducted a very detailed economic impact survey which looks at how our business affects those around us and the wider district and county.
"Over the next 10 years, many millions of pounds will be invested in the resort – on its infrastructure, rides, attractions, heritage, the house and peripheral activities, as well as further accommodation."
Ms Greenwood added: "Ten per cent of our total guests spend the night with us, which means there is a huge marketing opportunity for local accommodation providers to tap into.
"During the winter months we deal with conference and trade bookings, meaning both hotels are currently fully booked all year round, not only when the resort is open.
"We are trying to reposition ourselves from a teenage market to cater for families.
"In trying to encourage families to stay for longer, there is a need to provide further accommodation of some kind."
Ms Greenwood said the resort would seek to do more than just erect "world class" roller-coasters – such as the Corkscrew's replacement for 2010, "Secret Weapon Six" – to entice thrill-seekers from all over the UK.
She said: "In 2008, we worked extremely hard to attract families and we were very successful – growing in this sector from 35 per cent to 50 per cent of our total volume.
"Now, 75 per cent of our rides and attractions are suitable for children under 10."
Alton Towers attracted around 2.5 million visitors last year – accounting for approximately half of all visitor trips to the Moorlands – and it is hoped that it will be able to repeat its success this season.
Ms Greenwood said: "It is quite difficult to make a judgement yet but early indications are good and we are cautiously optimistic.
"With the credit crunch, we believe more British people are staying in the UK and visiting attractions which offer value for money, for which Alton Towers has a very good reputation and also offers a fantastic experience.
"And even though we don't pro-actively market ourselves abroad, the relative strength of the euro against the pound may mean more European visitors are coming to the area as a whole."
Liz Bradley, owner of Chained Oak bed and breakfast, in Farley Lane, Alton, reckoned that her appeal to a different clientele would mean an additional hotel would not cause too much disruption.
She said: "We get a lot of passing trade and if Alton Towers can keep encouraging customers to the Staffordshire Moorlands, we should be OK.
"But I'm afraid a further hotel could really have an impact on bed and breakfasts further outside the village."
The chairman of Alton Parish Council, Tony Moult, said he remained cautious on how any future development would effect smaller businesses.
He said: "I don't think those running bed and breakfasts would be too happy with the idea of competition from a third hotel.
"There is a lot of room for investment Alton Towers could make in the village, such as pedestrian crossings, which I hope can be included in their 10-year plan."
taken from: http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/ne ... ticle.html
oldgitBEN

We've known about the third hotel for quite some time now havent we, or was it just strongly suggested and has now been confirmed as a plan.

In my eyes if the third hotel is along the similar size and price for guests as the third two the local buiness' have nothing to worry about. However if Alton created a cheaper on-site alternative (like the tipis and cabins at Europa) it would severley impact on them.
Its a hard line really, Alton are alienating a large amount of people because the rooms are very expensive for a family for a weekend away and they need to offer a cheaper alternative but I cant imagine the locals and the council being happy with this.

I expect another hotel tbh, rather than some log cabins (which I think would be ideal for the area) which will again be heavily themed as per the exisiting hotels.
CoasterCrazyChris

This is great news! :)
I would love to see a "woodland lodge" type of hotel here as it would really suit the surroundings!
I say no though to any form of self catering it doesn't suit such a premier resort like AT.
BIan

further accommodation of some kind

No where do Alton Towers mention a new Hotel. I think its log cabins, but I am sure we will find out in the coming months when planning permission is posted.

Hopefully they leave plenty of room for future scarefest mazes :)

Ian
Wes

[quote=""IanBassi""]further accommodation of some kind

No where do Alton Towers mention a new Hotel. I think its log cabins, but I am sure we will find out in the coming months when planning permission is posted.

Hopefully they leave plenty of room for future scarefest mazes :)

Ian[/quote]

[quote=""rollercoaster_crazy""]Alton Towers plans third hotel in expansion bid
Wednesday, May 06, 2009, .

ALTON Towers is considering building a third hotel...[/quote]

Sure?
CoasterCrazyChris

No log cabins pleeease!

They dont suit Alton Towers. I know with all the wood and stuff around it does make sense but Alton Towers should scream PREMIER!

By the time their built anyway the whole credit downturn business willl be nearing an end hopefully so we wont be needed "affordable" accomodation...
Wes

[quote=""bohoboy""]Still, it's hardly the "Under Construction" the TT front page makes it out to be :roll:[/quote]

[quote=""TT Front Page""]Third hotel under consideration[/quote]

:clap: :clap: :clap:
AstroDan

[quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""]No log cabins pleeease!

They dont suit Alton Towers. I know with all the wood and stuff around it does make sense but Alton Towers should scream PREMIER!

...[/quote]

So, Europa-Park, Efteling and Disneyland Resort Paris aren't premier, are they?

:?
chr1s

[quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""]No log cabins pleeease!

By the time their built anyway the whole credit downturn business willl be nearing an end hopefully so we wont be needed "affordable" accomodation...[/quote]

There will ALWAYS be a need for "affordable" accomodation and as for the ecomonic downturn, we're looking at a long haul with that so trust me "affordable" accomondation would be perfect for AT.
Pepsi is better than Coke!!
CoasterCrazyChris

Theres just somethig about me that says log cabins are not right, they waste space (coz they would have to build ast least 20/30) and self cater just doesn't feel right, I don't know why, but just not at AT.
Prefer wodland lodge.
BIan

Sorry to give you a Boo Wes, but look at the article.

Liz Greenwood does not state they are building a new hotel. In fact, twice she states accommodation of some kind and as well as further accommodation.

"In trying to encourage families to stay for longer, there is a need to provide further accommodation of some kind."

"Over the next 10 years, many millions of pounds will be invested in the resort – on its infrastructure, rides, attractions, heritage, the house and peripheral activities, as well as further accommodation."

The hotel hype is all from the newspaper. Alton Towers do not mention a new hotel, and lets face it, if they were, I think they would say so. I think it clearly points to Log Cabins.

Imagine this, Log cabins at the top of the hill. Sat around a log fire, crackling away. Sitting around having a drink and laugh. And just down the way, you can see and hear people screaming as the run through a Scarefest maze.

I would love a Third Hotel bigger and better than ATH, but Log cabins do sound a lot of fun.

Ian
Satch

Oh joy, time for the theme park snobs to come out again and suggest Alton Towers and themselves are above log cabins...

All the parks mentioned by Dan are far far higher in the theme park stakes than AT, and their log cabins work. Given the right theme, they will work at Towers too. And its not about self catering. Bars usually accompany log cabins, and the hotel food will also be an option
Corkscrewed

Whats wrong with log cabins? :?

I think they can be quite nice, more cozy than a Hotel room at times. Anyways, I like the fact that Alton are getting some more accomodation of some kind, Extra choice is always good. Hope it's something suitable for cheapskates like me mind :D
Joe Koopa

Fantasic news! Would love a third hotel, just to add to the entire resort feel. :)
seanyboyuk

I think its a good idea with log cabins. I just hope if it does go ahead the prices are reasonable and do include park entrance with ert as standard and possibly some food vouchers.
Altonator

Maybe Alton Towers decided they liked my idea :) :) :) :)
name='Altonator' date='Apr 21 2007, 10:31 PM']
In the next few years I think Alton Towers should build a 3rd hotel on the land to the left of the Alton Towers Hotel (behind the spa building) and theme it all on Alton Towers Rides and attractions past and present even the bedrooms perhaps 1st floor childrens rides 2nd floor family rides and 3rd floor coasters and thrill rides and also open a musem next to the 3rd hotel which explains the history of the park and tells you about old rides using pics videos etc.
They should also build a new water ride on the car park near Air (a family ride is needed here) and the new water ride and Air could extend the oasis of calm and the water ride could go right across the car park to Cariba Creek (outside area) and back to air see dark blue on plan or they could build the smaller scale ride which is light blue on the plan.
The parking spaces which are lost could be replaced by extending the car park in front of the new hotel.
see the plan below.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N00/467529849/" target="_blank]http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N00/467529849/[/url]
What do you think?
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
Ash

I would love to see a Center Parcs esque place built at Alton Towers, think it would suit well :)
Khanage

You know what, I for one would bloody love some log cabins. They would be lovely and cosy to stay in during the winter months and beautiful during the summer months. As has been rightly said it doesn't necessarily state an hotel of sorts so I would be inclined to steer slightly towards that sort of accommodation. Good news nonetheleg.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Chris W

I'd say there about 4 plots of land a potential hotel could be built on.

Google Map of Plots

Plot 1 - Blue

Closest to the Theme Park. Would be a closer link to the monorail giving the best resort feel.
Car parking would have to be created somewhere else.
It would give a slightly better view from Air.

Plot 2 - Red

Would take car parking away from the resort. Would be miles away from the other hotels and the park.
However, it would be the most isolated if Alton go for Lodges.

Plot 3 - Green

Would face onto the ATH Car Park nicely and is the perfect size for a hotel with some landscaping.

Plot 4 - Orange

Largest plot available but is currently being used for Scarefest mazes. It would make a hotel feel like its being tagged onto the current hotels. It would be a decent walk to the Monorail.

_______

I think the most likely location would be Plot 4. The least likely will be Plot 2 and 3.

I'd prefer for the hotel to be on Plot 1 to give a much better feeling for the resort.

Opinions?
oldgitBEN

Click Me! Have a look at those plans, a simple A-Frame cabin with three beds and self-catering would be an easy option. Placed to the left of the ATH and surrounded by trees would make a beautiful scene, and magical all through the year. [/color]