Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Morgan

That's a nice plan Robert, but there's a few things I'd personally do differently regarding flats.
Forbidden Valley could do with some sort of thrill flat on the site of Ripsaw, and the reopening of sub-terra. Imagine a KMG afterburner swinging over the area and woodland walk! Just helps soak up the queues in that area.
I reckon they could squeeze than one flat in Dark Forest, depending on what they go for, seeing as there were loads of flats in that area originally. They could definitely fit at least one in though! Maybe an air race could fit in well.
I don't need to say how much work CCL needs as it's common knowledge by now as the area is virtually empty. It'd be great if Twirling Toadstool made a return alongside a magic carpet, and a few other family rides for the 8-10 market. Reopening the theater as a, err... theatre would be great, the excitement of a live show would really breathe life into the area.
X Sector is an interesting one as it's been very much a thrill-focused area for years. A Tourbillion would be a great substitute for a topspin and would look great on the old submission site. Enterprise looks like it has years left, seeing as it was refurbished/replaced within the past few years.
Another thing to note is the Spinball site, seeing as (if my memory serves me right or if I'm just passing rumours as fact) the LTDP suggests it would be gone by 2019. This opens up a decent amount of space, but there are tighter restrictions on that plot now so it can't be that tall. I'd love for a few, high-capacity family flats there, but realistically it'll be another Cbeebies expansion.
Robert.W

Thanks Morgan, you make some really nice suggestions in your post too! My suggestions are really just the base minimum I'd like them to do, so I definitely agree with some of your ideas!

Very much agree with you about CCL. Reopening on the theatre, as well as all the current SBNO rides is a must, but I'm pretty sure that will be happening should that areas ben rethemed in the near future. Sadly, I just don't think I can see them moving Frog Hopper again to open up the entrance to the theatre, let alone put on an actual show in there! 

Spinball is another interesting one. That really would be a loss to the park if it were to be removed, especially with how operations are at the moment, as well as it being one of the park's best family coasters. I'm kinda hoping that it doesn't go. I mean, there are other things on the LTDP which never actually happened, so hopefully Spinball is another one of those things. Having said that, the council are very keen for it to go, so who knows?! I'd be very very disappointed if Spinball did go, and then the 2019 addition was just another expansion of CBeebies Land. A dimply ride needs to be replaced with a family ride in my opinion, and CBeebies doesn't ally fit into that category. And when there are areas lie CCL which need the attention much more urgently, I really hope that that is the area that will be refreshed for 2019, without Spinball being removed.

Forbidden Valley, whilst I do see the importance of a thrill ride to replace Ripsaw and reopening Sub Terra, and that must come first above any other additional rides, but I think it's the one area of the park were it doesn't quite cater for all ages, and a new family flat ride near Galactica would definitely fill this gap.

For X-Sector, I really really like the idea of a Tourbillon – I think that could work very well for the area, and would fit the theme nicely as well! I'd still worry about the lack of family options there, but at least it's not as isolated as FV is. Again, the Dark Forest, ideally more than one new thrill flat, as there is I'm sure quite a few spaces where they can put these in the Dark Forest. 

Morgan

Thanks :) Moving Froghopper isn't as hard as you make it out, seeing as it's essentially a travelling ride. One FHT it was in Forbidden Valley after all!
I wouldn't mind if 2019 sees minimal new rides but with a focus on entertainment, both in theatres and as you walk about. 2018 has certainly been a step in the right direction with the return of the ATTP and the debut of Wasteland Bash, so hopefully this means that the ents budget is getting bigger and bigger. Next year could see more roamers, the permanent installation of Wasteland Bash (until a flat ride takes it's place), the CCL theatre to relaunch and possibly re-introduce a mascot?
Robert.W

Yeah. I think Alton have been quite tactical when it come to Entertainments this year, especially putting Wicker Man's effects in that department. It may have meant that any extra budget the department got for Wicker Man has been distributed around to get in more on park entertainment, so it's definitely a good thing! 

I still believe we'll see something more than just Entertainments next year though, as it's pretty much confirmed that the park is getting something bigger in 2019, likely a new area, or a retheme of an existing area. I just hope whatever they do add, that they incorporate some new entertainment into it!

AltonOperator

Morgan wrote: Moving Froghopper isn't as hard as you make it out, seeing as it's essentially a travelling ride.
Definitely. I can't imagine the actual ride takes much more than a day to move. Its been up at the hotels before for Christmas events
Thanks Jack
DeadJack5

I do seriously think we will not get anything in regards to new rides or rethemes any time soon. Towers have invested a large amount into wickerman so I imagine they won't want to invest anymore for a while because of this. Maybe some more TLC work if it is continued and maybe some ride removals but I still don't think anything big will happen for 2/3 years :)
Robert.W

But @DeadJack5, it has been strongly rumoured that Towers are planning at least some new addition for 2019... 

To be honest, I actually don't really expect the TLC thing to continue, although I think that they will at least look after what they fixed with a bit more care hopefully.

Bert

Merlin's Capex cycle, Much like other Theme Park Operators, have a new investment every year. 

Merlin's Capex cycle makes Towers probably due a small investment for 2019, This'll probably something like a Sea Life expansion or Cbeebies Land attraction coupled with something like a new F&B outlet. 

Don't get your hopes up for anything but also don't expect nothing.
[Insert Signature Here]
AltonOperator

The creative team did say they were working on something for 2019 at the Meet the Maker event. I know it'll be small but at least that's confirmation that we're getting something
Thanks Jack
Stan.H

Merlin's Capex cycle makes Towers probably due a small investment for 2019, This'll probably something like a Sea Life expansion or Cbeebies Land attraction coupled with something like a new F&B outlet.
I definitely do not see a Sea Life expansion for two reasons, 1, there's nowhere to expand to. And 2, just why? What would be the point in changing something that is already pretty good and fairly well themed? Then a Cbeebies Land attraction I doubt would happen, considering we've recently had Go Jetters, Furchester, Octonauts and a hotel dedicated to CBeebies - that's surely overkill, maybe 2020, however, we could see yet another expansion. 

I think we will see one or two (one at least) new Thrill flat rides located in either Dark Forest/Forbidden Valley - at least that's what I hope.  
Ben-

Just gonna put it out there, I think nearly every area should have a flat ride, DF, CCL (which really needs attention or a re-theme) GW, and one to replace Ripsaw in FV.

It’s very unlikely, but I’d love more to be added to Towers Street!
In case I don't see ya good afternoon, good evening, and good night, ha ha

Formally bendaboss
Justin

I wouldn't want to see any rides go in Towers Street and I'd object to any ride being considered, if planning permission was allowed! Luckily it won't happen. It would just spoil the view of the Towers when you enter!
Robert.W

Yep, I agree with what Justin has said. Rides just don't belong on Towers Street. Would ruin the view, and possibly cause a few problems with managing the crowds. 

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Here's a wild bit of speculation...

This article quotes David Walliams mentioning a "Gangsta Granny Alton Towers ride" in some Britain's Got Talent related thing. Now of course it could just be something that he spontaneously made up in the context of the conversation, although something about Simon Cowell asking "Why do you think you got that?" seems to make it sound more true. What's somewhat curious is that that section of the conversation doesn't actually seem to feature in the video that's embedded in the article, even though everything else that's been quoted does.

Giving some thought to the Gangsta Granny IP and David Walliams' books (which are targeted at children and young teens) more generally, I could definitely see it being something that Towers would go for, as they're both on brand and also very successful, with film and stage adaptations. So, could we see Cloud Cuckoo Land become 'Walliams World' in 2019? :P 

Robert.W

Oh wow... this is something I was thinking about ages ago! CATCF being themed to the Gangsta Granny book, and the rest of the rides having another Walliams IP attached... I suppose great minds think alike and all that! It'd be a great fit, its current, has a quirky style which fits Towers really well in my opinion, and is an IP which families can all enjoy! Makes me wish I'd said this way sooner! :lol

Nickolai

Walliam's books seem to cover a wide audience of readers and would be the bridging gap between CBeebies Land and some of the other areas of the park! This could be very interesting stuff!
Formally Smiler313
Joel Allen

I loved Walliams books when I was younger. This would be the perfect IP for Cloud Cuckoo Land. I could see CATCF as the gangster granny ride actually, it just works. I really hope this happens... Please Towers, please!
Cobby

I've just read about the whole David Williams IP idea and I can see it working well. Also both David William's books and Roald Dahl's books have very similar illustrations/art styles so it would be realitivly easy to change Charlie into the new IP. Overall this is very interesting development
Justin

The Walliams books are brilliant. They are very dark in places, extreamly funny in others and charming! I'd say the whole area would appeal to adults too. There are so many different possibilities. Bad Dad (latest novel) would fit well with Driving School!
Robert.W

The only one I'm really familiar with was the "Gangsta Granny" novel, but I'm sure with the amount of eccentric ideas throughout all Walliams' books, there would be a way to incorporate the theme into every ride in the area.