Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Adz
Admin
Admin

If this is correct (Naughty Mr Walliams for leaking it) then it’s an unexpectedly brilliant IP to have.

As long as the project quality is done to the same standard as CBeebies Land and Wicker Man then it could be an awesome addition.

Ideally they would also add another high thrill attraction to go with it such as a flat ride in X Sector, as that would help balance the park and restore a feeling of ‘complete-ness’ that has been lacking in recent years.
Robert.W

Honestly I can even express how enthusiastic I a man about this idea! Although I don't remember hardly any of the stories, the theme just seems so ideal for Towers! Really do hope it is happening. And like you say Adz, another thrill ride in an area like X-Sector would be pretty good too! 

Bert

Raj's shop has got to be in there somewhere, It must be.
[Insert Signature Here]
Robert.W

Oh god yeah... they must have some of the characters for meet and greets if this Walliams land does happen! :D

Scarlyboo22

Now this is a retheme I would definitely agree with. I think it will go very well with the area and it will be easy to implement. Alton Towers would gain a lot of revenue for having a 6-10 year old (I would say) area for people who have grown out of CBeebies.
S.J_O'Grady

There's something a bit strange going on here... This article claims David says "Would you like me to cut you in with the Gangsta Granny Alton Towers ride?", to which Simon replies "Are you serious? Why do you think you got that?".
If you watch the video (or indeed the show) you'll see they're talking about how David's success is due to Simon's influence, with Simon saying he knows what his publishing deal is and that he "reinvented" him. The actual conversation goes -
"Would you like me to cut you in with the royalties of the books?"
 "Are you serious? Why do you think you got that?"
"Because I wrote these best selling books!"
All it appears to be is Simon joking about how he's to thank for David's success, where the Alton Towers thing came from I've no idea!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
stevebrown

Just watched BGMT on the ITV hub and in that conversation there is no mention of Alton Towers.  David just says "Would you like me to cut you in on royalties on the books?" to which Simon says "Are you serious? Why do you think you got that?"  and David replies "Because I wrote these bestselling books."

If it was originally broadcast with the mention of Alton Towers, it's been cut out of the programme for on-demand and future repeats...that fuels the speculation a little more!

EDIT Oops didn't see the post before this one!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The way the conversation has been edited doesn't really make sense, whereas it does if the Alton Towers line is included, although had it not been for the quote referencing Alton Towers in the article you wouldn't think anything of it.
Robert.W

Yeah.. the conversation definitely makes more sense with the added Gangsta Granny Alton Towers ride mention, and to be honest, where on earth could a news source make that up, like why would they? If I'm honest, especially with the way the idea has taken social media and Alton Towers fan sites by storm, I think the cat may well now be out of the bag...

hursty

Rather than 'Walliams World' (sorry Lewis), how about... Storybook Land!?
Could even have a giant bookworm!

I do really like the idea of a book themed land, the Ice Age facade being the town library, hosting a story-book narrated show.
Perhaps something that balances entertainment with something educational - which, done right, could be a hit with schools.
Charlie - again being a storybook brought to life.

Whilst Mutiny Bay could really do with another attraction / flat / pirate show (I just think it's too dominated by games, for the number of attractions), the demise of Cloud Cuckoo land over the last few years, means the big demographic the park not adequately supporting is those too old for CBeebies, but not yet 1.4m.

So it would be good if CCL could see a overhaul on the scale of CBeebies
Rob
Admin
Admin

Although I would very much welcome a re-theme / overhaul of an area it would be nice to see some brand new attractions, not just re-themed ones. An area suited to 6 - 10 years of age is massively needed and this would help fill the gap. The resort however does need some new flat rides / filler attractions so a new area & a new ride elsewhere would make a huge difference.
S.J_O'Grady

As I've said before, I dislike IPs. When I visit Alton Towers I want to see Alton Towers, not some random things from the media. If they were to come up with an original theme, I would love it whatever it was, but IPs (although they're a crowd puller and are great for business) take away a bit of the uniqueness and magic from the park for me. It does appear the Gangsta Granny ride is happening, but I certainly hope it's just that one ride, not a second area covered by an IP.

However the great thing about CBeebies and Walliams as IPs is that they are the biggest you can get. CBeebies just is British children's television, nothing comes before it. And David Walliams (discounting Roald Dahl who's not so current anymore) is number 1 in British children's literature. So as much as I would prefer an original theme by a long long way, I understand why IPs are a thing and to be fair these are the best out there.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Doublethink

Was at the Towers last Monday and the operator for the Ray tank talk in Mutiny Bay was saying they are planning to expand Sealife next year with either Penguins, Otters or Jellyfish and was asking for feedback on which people would find most interesting.
Last edited by Doublethink on Tue May 01, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert.W

Oh, interesting! Pretty good idea as long as it's in addition to a CCL retheme though. Out of those three choices though... that's tough! Jellyfish would fit in the most with the theme, but penguins and otters sound much more interesting!  

Doublethink

I agree it would be a great expansion as at the moment the Towers has a real lack of indoor attractions for poor weather conditions and would also be good for a year round attraction as I know they opened it for their closed season events this year.

Though I agree the jellyfish would be the most true to Sharkbait's theme, I really enjoyed the penguin enclosure at SeaLife London as the critters brought a lot of energy and excitement to the aquarium.
Bert

Personally I'd like to see Otters or Penguins somewhere but I'd also agree with Robert that it should be an addition as well as the supposed Gangsta Granny ride.

But it sounds like it's not gonna be the only 2019 project if they're still deciding what to add now whereas we already know that a 2019 project has been in the pipeline for a few years now.
[Insert Signature Here]
Doublethink

Bert2theSpark wrote:Personally I'd like to see Otters or Penguins somewhere but I'd also agree with Robert that it should be an addition as well as the supposed Gangsta Granny ride.

But it sounds like it's not gonna be the only 2019 project if they're still deciding what to add now whereas we already know that a 2019 project has been in the pipeline for a few years now.
I agree both for a 2019 year would be ideal. If GG ride is also a retheme or re-use of the CatCF building then I think we could well see both next year.

More indoor attractions are sorely needed at the Towers.
vikkimoo

Penguins would be AMAZING (charismatic megafauna ftw!) but would they have enough space for a decently sized enclosure for them or Otters? I'll be honest, I've not been in Sharkbait (it's usually too full of children for me) so don't know what it's like in there.
Phild94

vikkimoo wrote:Penguins would be AMAZING (charismatic megafauna ftw!) but would they have enough space for a decently sized enclosure for them or Otters? I'll be honest, I've not been in Sharkbait (it's usually too full of children for me) so don't know what it's like in there.
They could easily have enough room if they expanded into some of the adjoining units... with the way the F&B outlets are going I’m sure they’d shut down Eastern Express to put some larger enclosure in
PhNx Survivor

So.. we know that The Dungeons are coming to the Towers.. but what would people realistically like to see happen in the park?

Personally, like many other people, I would like to see something happen with the previous Ripsaw site. With all the new concepts Merlin could choose from, it would be nice to finally have a ride back there.

If not there, then as some people on other forums have been saying, that the Submission area could be used for another small addition..

However with saying this, I do think that the Dungeons will be the only addition for a specific group of people.. what are people’s thoughts?
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”