Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Dom

Count-Vonduel wrote:Do you think realistically it will get back to 2008-2014 standards in 2018 because I genuinely can't tell at this point!
As far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't get back to that standard by 2018 then (in my opinion) thinking it will improve is stupid but since I am very much disenfranchised on this issue, what is your genuine opinion on this?

I would have made a new topic but I doubt it needs one.
Simple answer, no, it won't ever be the same. The park will have changed over the years anyways, and so you can not compare 2018 to 2008. People are being too sentimental over the park and its sentimentality that will cause the park to not progress in a way that it needs to do. Its all well and good being sentimental about the rides, but if the business was to do that, people would get bored with the park. So whilst I appreciate the need and wanting for things to be like they were, they never will.

As for 2018, SW8 will be an awesome addition and i'm sure that what ever the park has planned for 2018 will be for the benefit of the park and I for one am very excited to see what the future holds for the park.
Azi889

Id love to see some of the things from the original concepts for the dark first realised. I remember seeing some images when we first heard about the themeing of the area which had some kind of twisted tree trunk arms ride. I love thirteen and they've given Rita a different story to fit into the area but I feel like there's much more which could be done In the area to strengthen the theme. Especially with something like a flat.

Also from a personal point of view I will miss the flume so would love another kind of water ride seeing as we have lost he flume to a coaster. Exiciting things to come in the future though I'm sure :)
Ryan.B

There are some things that should be sentimental, and some things that shouldn't. Pleasure beach has half and half balance, and I don't really get bored there, Towers doesn't have many older coasters, however you can argue that the rides that have been removed are rather poor/unpopular. You've also got to consider the case of rides such as Thunder Looper and the restrictions.

Simple way to think of it is like a shop. You stock the most popular items that bring in the most profit/make the most business sense. Over time these will become less popular, and people won't buy them as much anymore. You wouldn't buy more stock to just sit on the shelves. In coaster terms, you wouldn't want to pay for rides insurance, maintenance and staffing if it didn't do anything for the park.
Ben-

I know this will never happen but i would really like to see GW expanded. Then add a flat or two, then a small scary water ride into GW. A big flat ride to replace ripsaw and another flat in FV, and a flat ride to replace submission(I loved submission! :cry: ). A small extension to DF add flats. And (the most unlikely,)an extension to adventure land with another kid ride and a flat ride.
In case I don't see ya good afternoon, good evening, and good night, ha ha

Formally bendaboss
Robert.W

Well apparently SW8 is to be apart of Gloomy Wood, but at this point, who knows?... also, Duel is to get TLC soon. So maybe new stuff in Gloomy Wood isn't impossible, just quite unlikely!

jackf1tz

bendaboss wrote:And (the most unlikely,)an extension to adventure land with another kid ride and a flat ride.
There won't be an expansion to adventure land because it doesn't exist any more!
Wolverine0492

I think the mine train may go next
Phild94

I doubt it will be the mine train, it’s a really solid ride and a great family ride in the park.

I think it’s widely known that Spinball Whizzer is due to leave fairly soon though, despite the loss it will be in the park
JC13

With Wicker Man now open, what do you think we could see in 2019? (Sorry if this topic isn’t needed)
WallisDan

CCL Redone
Charlie Reopened
Twirling Toadstool Reopened

With new ride hardware to follow in 2020
New show/attraction in show building
Couple of new flats
Robert.W

I'm thinking they'll focus on CCL, and give it a new theme hopefully (but not a dark theme, we've got enough of those). A steampunk theme could work well, and I've also heard people discuss maybe a Dreamworks theme, which I also think could work pretty well for the area if they wanted to go down the IP route. :) 

Morgan

Whatever happens, we need FLATS. And we need them FAST. The lack of filler-rides really shows nowadays, and makes the day a bit boring. Hopefully the resort will install some thrilling, high capacity ones next year.
WallisDan

Ild be happy with some 1.2 metre flats to be fair
Phild94

If AT only read one topic on this forum I hope it’s this one.

FLATS, FLATS, FLATS

I’ve been saying it for years, AT needs a new flat ride in ever location of the park. This will push AT to be a 2 Day excursion park rather than the 1 day it currently is.

I’m not sure the average cost of flat rides but if AT were to invest £2/3M across the park they would see a huge return on investment.

Although the GP isn’t as interested from a marketing point of view this can be easily overcome with a “3/4 new rides opening 2019 tagline” and a small promotional teaser of each.

It’s just a shame that we all know that this isn’t how they have operated for the last 5 years
JC13

Phild94 wrote:If AT only read one topic on this forum I hope it’s this one.

FLATS, FLATS, FLATS

I’ve been saying it for years, AT needs a new flat ride in ever location of the park. This will push AT to be a 2 Day excursion park rather than the 1 day it currently is.

I’m not sure the average cost of flat rides but if AT were to invest £2/3M across the park they would see a huge return on investment.

Although the GP isn’t as interested from a marketing point of view this can be easily overcome with a “3/4 new rides opening 2019 tagline” and a small promotional teaser of each.

It’s just a shame that we all know that this isn’t how they have operated for the last 5 years
That would be great. I personally don’t enjoy flats but I know many others do, so it’s fine with me if they install some! If they did 3-4, they definitely would have an easier job marketing the additions, as with 1 it would be very hard to market.
Justin

I'm hoping that Cloud Cuckoo Land will receive some work. If it takes on a DreamWorks or CBBC theme then would be good. Personally, I hope it is an IP or MMM concept which will appeal to all. That way both families and adults can enjoy the attractions it has to offer.
ThemeParkEwan

A few flats are exactly what towers need at the moment - supporting rides that'll give people something today while all the coasters have massive queues, though i doubt they'd want to put them in because of marketing (i mean surely its pretty easy to promote a flat ride or two, but we all know merlin)
Scarlyboo22

I think they could rebrand the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ride. I know this sounds silly but they could get a license with Cadbury’s?
Robert.W

I mean, flat rides were particularly popular today, with all of the downtime affecting basically all of the major coasters, with closures all day long... 

As stupid as Merlin appear to be, I do have some hope that we will see some new flat rides in the near future, possibly as part of a re themed Cloud Cuckoo Land, or possibly in other areas of the park that have sat vacant since the previous ride was removed and not replaced. 

Robert.W

Alton Towers flat ride fix to make all areas of the park fun for people of all ages.

Forbidden Valley – one new family flat, one new thrill flat in place of Ripsaw. At the moment there is a serious lack of things that are suitable for younger children in this area of the park, and means a lot of back and forth walking for groups / families with childeren of different ages. A flat ride replacement for Ripsaw, as well as a new family flat ride, possibly given a space theme to tie in with Galactica would fix this problem.

Dark Forest – one new thrill flat. I think there is room for a flat, and it'd be highly beneficial for the land, absorbing the large crowds that the area attracts. 

Cloud Cuckoo Land – one new family flat, in addition to the retheme. The new flat ride would be to cater for the lack of family rides in the Dark Forest, and as CCL isn't a long walk away, should mean that there isn't any problems with lack of thrill or family rides in each area.

X-Sector – one new family flat. At the moment, there is just nothing for younger people to do in the area, as Enterprise will often been seen as too scary, even if children are tall enough to ride it.