Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Luviico

In 2019 the current long term development plan will be coming to an end. The rides planned for removal before then are the blade which will be leaving soon, ripsaw (which will have to go before SW8 arrives) obviously they can't get rid of two flats at the same time so I can see at the least Ripsaw having one more full season and then leaving the park next year. Then we come to the flume, we know SW8 will be in FV and a woodie/woodie hybrid so if what Nick Varney says is correct and there is another large investment in 2020 I can see this being a flume replacement. The only ride left to depart is spinball, which although popular with guests I think will only have a couple more years in it. I can't see a direct replacement for it either and I'm unsure what AT would choose to do with that area. There are exciting times coming for AT in the large development area but one thing that definitely needs to be addressed is the lack of flats issue, or will AT not do anything about this at all?
MakoMania

I think blade will go at end of 2015, new dark forest flat 2016 (hopefully) and ripsaw leave sometime in 2016 to make way for SW8. Enterprise can't have long left in it can it? 2020 max for Enterprise I'd say.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Stan.H

I think that AT should get a handful of new flat rides, some thrilling, some not (like TP). And also a new Dark Ride.
seanyboyuk

i think the monorail should retire soon and relocate the entrance. as for towers street keep that open and have the current entrance queue area become an entertainment / eating area?
i bet the monorails running costs escalate every year and it makes sense to have an entrance near fv. Id somehow put it between fv and duel area.
ethan.witham.9

I would like Alton towers to replace enterprise with a new model by Huss Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ethan@Witham
Adam.W

Perhaps they could get a new top spin in FV? Goes with the rumor that ripsaw is being moved, but instead a new model being built. Enterprise could be moved to either FV or DF and another flat being built elsewhere?
118hazaman

Similar to The Smiler (2013) and Nemesis Sub-Terra (2012), could we see a medium investment made at the end of this season, for 2016 and then a major investment for 2017?
Ryan.B

I think so,sub terra= medium The Smiler =Large CBeebies=medium Octonauts=small. I think it will go S-M-L-M-S-M-L
Adam.W

So next year we may be seeing a medium investment, perhaps a couple of flats or a small ish coaster for KC or GW. Or maybe a retheme of (one of) those areas including a new attraction. And I guess the air restaurant could come in as part of the investment.
cookiee_munster

i kind of wish that Ripsaw was replaced with a suspended topspin and themed exactly the same (but even more emphasis on the detox element i.e. more water effects etc)

its a great ride, and for a basic flat the theme they've added to it really makes it stand as one of the best themed flats in the park. it'll be sad to see it go and not be replaced with something as uniquely themed.

EDIT - is enterprise a totally new ride now from a couple of years ago? or was just certain things replaced?
Aidan Lowe

cookiee_munster wrote: EDIT - is enterprise a totally new ride now from a couple of years ago? or was just certain things replaced?
By the racket it makes going around on occasion I'd say only certain parts were replaced.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Themeparksandy1981

You could say 2016 could be a quiet year like 2011 was with just new restaurants and rides upgraded/big park tidy up.
NemesisRider

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:You could say 2016 could be a quiet year like 2011 was with just new restaurants and rides upgraded/big park tidy up.
I believe this year is the quiet year for the theme park, even though they invested in the theme park they did add the Enchanted Village. Also, Nemesis got a spruce up for Neme21s, several new shops and vendors (including Nitrogenie) have been added and Octonauts was installed too. That's one new small ride and a tidy up, plus a revamped Scarefest. In my eyes this has been the small year, next year I predict we will see a rebranded Air along with the FoodLoop and possibly a flat ride (or flat ride package hopefully!).
Sawboss

As someone new to theme parks even I noticed the lack of flatrides at Alton compared to Thorpe. Especially thrilling ones, Ripsaw looks excellent but actually riding it was really pretty tame.
stealthsmiler

Ripsaw could be amazing if it was on the right setting.....

IMO the lack of flats is what make AT expensive. Theres nothing to do thats thrilling after the big coasters. Unlike Thorpe which has good falts to support the coasters.
bensaund

The annoying thing is flats are cheap and easy to add to the park.
NemesisRider

bensaund wrote:The annoying thing is flats are cheap and easy to add to the park.
I believe Merlin in general does not like flat rides, correct me if I'm wrong but Merlin hasn't installed a new flat ride to Alton Towers or several other parks like Thorpe Park and Heide Park since they purchased the theme parks. They have added things like Sub-Terra and Saw Alive, which use ride systems, but no thrilling flats like for example a HUSS frisbee.

At Alton Towers, I think it's something to do with them wanting to use space on coasters as they know high thrill coasters bring in guests and really capture the GP's imagination. I agree flats are needed, but the height restrictions also make the choice harder.
bensaund

If we are not careful at the rate Alton are going, they will have no decent flats in 5-10 years. With the loss of Submission and The Smiler out of action for the foreseeable future, the addition of just 1 flat would be the logical choice to fill the hole in the ride line-up.
RedStar98

I think Alton Towers need some new flat rides badly, especially with Submission gone. I think time is nearly up for the Blade, its not on the map or listed under with flat rides on the parks Wikipedia. I know work was recently done on Ripsaw but even so, I can't see it lasting much longer, and Enterprise is getting quite old now. That then leaves the park with no proper flat rides, which I think is a major problem, and even if they only add 1 soon, the park is still lacking them; I was quite surprised to see that SW8 will be another coaster.
MakoMania

I think/hope we'll see this:

2015:

Closure & removal of Blade in November.

2016:

Rollercoaster Restaurant
Air Enhancements
1 or 2 new flats in X-Sector/Dark Forest
Closure & removal of Ripsaw around mid August
Closure & removal/relocation of Sonic Spinball at end of season

2017:

SW8 opening in Forbidden Valley.
New Hotel expansion
Reopening of rethemed sonic in Gloomy Wood/Katanga Canyon if AT decide to keep it
Closure & removal of The Flume at end of season

2018:

Some sort of CBeebies expansion in old sonic site. Possibly a CBeebies dark ride?

2019:

Flume replacement to open. Possibly an Intamin/Mack flume. Who knows!

Of course this is just speculation :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]