Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
iNemesis

Sazzle wrote:Can the toilets be a development? Pretty please? I keep banging on about that, too. Maybe I should occupy Towers with a luxury loo roll and a Mack brochure...
I second this. The toilets are currently disgusting, and are in dire need of an upgrade. The water pressure may be down to location, but it doesn't change the fact that not being able to properly wash your hands after using the facilities is not acceptable.

If you occupy the Resort, I'll be there with luxury loo roll too, Sazzle! ;-)
ImURNemesis

Fat change of them getting luxury loo roll! Merlin will start charging then! "50p to pee, £2 to poo!"  :P
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

I would like to see a mid-range hotel built. Not a Travelodge style one but around £100 a night instead of the obscene £200+ a night. I would love the option to stay on resort more but the cost is just not justifiable. 
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Ryan.

PeteB wrote: No budget hotels please, keep that in the surrounding areas.

I don't oppose the hotels having different quality levels though (I suppose star rating would be the appropriate term), a bit like what Disney do.

Already the AT Hotel is consistently more expensive than Splash although I think this happened by mistake as it wasn't that way when Splash first opened, they were more or less equal. People seem to prefer the AT one because it feels a little more grown up and has a bit more class.

But, I do think they should either build a mega expensive flashy 5 star one, or something just a little lower ranking than Splash but certainly not budget by any means. Still need to keep "the alton towers experience".

You also have the problem of riff raff. Splash just manages to keep them out and I've already had a few stays there before where there's been people who I'd rather not be around at such expense.
Maybe I should have been clearer; I didn't mean build a travelodge on site, I meant I think it would be a good idea for them to build a value resort hotel like, as you said, how Disney do with hotels like the All Star Resorts, which are pretty cheap (alot cheaper than AT Hotel and Splash Landings) and in no way detract from the "disney experience". A value hotel would offer the same experience and level of service but have fewer amenities (no swimming pool/spa/waterpark, basic dining, standard rooms). Of course they could also build a luxury 5 star hotel too for those who can afford it, which would further alleviate the demand for the current hotels.
CoasterCrazyChris wrote: What you have to remember is when you stay at one of the park's hotels you are not paying for the quality of the hotel - but the location.

Therefore, a budget hotel would not work.
As I mentioned above, if places like Disney can have more affordable accomodation then I don't see why Alton Towers can't. The cost of the hotels at the minute is high because as you say they are well located, and there is only limited availability. I'm assuming theres alot of demand to stay at the resort, otherwise the hotels wouldn't be so pricey; increase supply to meet demand and the cost of a room will come down, then leaving the hotels to be priced according to quality (like what happens at Disney) as the location will no longer be so exclusive.
ImURNemesis wrote: No budget hotels please! The park would only be stealing business from local B&Bs, Pubs and campsites. Not to mention it will took tacky and out of place. If they want a hotel, go down the four to five star road and make a highly themed, unique experience.
I don't think it would have too much of a negative impact on the local area as I think B&Bs, pubs and campsites all have a unique experience to offer that can't be found at the resort. The main businesses i suspect would suffer would be the likes of travelodge, but travelodge don't contribute to the park so I don't see why they should be taking it's custom. Also I imagine it would have to be quite a large hotel to accomodate the demand which would mean a lot of new jobs for the area. Not only this but having more affordable hotels on site instead of in the local area will ease traffic on local routes by reducing the number of people travelling in and out of the resort each day from wherever they're staying instead of driving into the resort once at the beginning of their stay and out again at the end.

I'm aware this is quite a large scale investment I'm talking about and I think there are various other things the park would need to do before expanding the resort so much (like offering more entertainment after park hours) but I think it is the most obvious route to take if the resort is to grow anymore.
Last edited by Ryan. on Mon May 28, 2012 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImURNemesis

Ryan I see your logic, but Alton Towers have many advantages over a local accomadation, such as higher maketing for an example. Plus woudn't having a "cheaper hotel" cause more people to go would through the village towards the park their for adding more traffic load towards the park. The only way this could be resoved would be if Merlin/Alton got a relive road. Having more local businesses would spread out the traffic and would end up benifiting both Alton Towers and the locals. Although Alton Towers need a new hotel so that in the future, so that more people can vist. A travelodge would be economic bomb to both paties.

They could have

A B&B Off site, like Europa Park and have a Merlin/local partership with it.
Luxury hotel on site
A hotel with a unique theming experiance (eg Haunted Hotel)
Camping site with an Alton Towers twist plus charges more than local camp sites (Elven forest, ancient tribe...) 
Ryan.

I see what you're saying and of course there are benefits of having people staying in the local area. I am in no way advocating Alton Towers steals business from locals, because its important that it gives something back, however it's just as important for the resort to be allowed to grow. I don't think building more affordable accomodation is unreasonable or that it would have to negatively effect the local area. Infact it would create alot of new jobs for the local economy and would of course benefit Alton Towers because the money would be going into their pockets to be reinvested in the park, instead of to the likes of travelodge.

Again, let me stress that I'm not saying they build a travelodge on site, 'affordable accomodation' is not synonymous with 'travelodge'. As I said, things like Disney's All Star resorts are affordable but in no way resemble a travelodge. I don't think the prices need to be as low as travelodge either, just somewhat lower than the current hotels.

In terms of traffic, the only way it might increase is if building a new hotel meant more people would visit the park, which isn't necessarily the case; the demand is already there, it's just being soaked up by local budget hotels. Certainly more people would be staying at the resort overnight, it just depends whether they would be new guests or if it would just be people who would normally have stayed in a travelodge or similar. If the majority are the latter, then the number of car journeys would be cut as guests would just be using the monorail to get from hotel to park for the duration of their stay, instead of driving in and out everyday.

I think it's important the park has a better range in accomodation in terms of prices and what they offer. I agree all the suggestions made in the above post are good, but I don't see why a more affordable hotel can't be part of that line up too, instead of the current situation where staying at the resort is very expensive and simply not viable for alot of people.
Last edited by Ryan. on Thu May 31, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DannyNewbro

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Well let's look at the options:

Air car park
Dark Forest
Coaster corner
Nick building
The Flume site
Dung Heap
Ice Arena
Beastie site

In one of the TT@10 videos it was said how they were working on two new attractions for 2014. Very interesting indeed.

:)
I know what these 2 attractions will be! But I won't be saying too much, don't want my friend to get into trouble. But I can say it's gonna put Towers back into your hearts and it's probably gonna be the biggest year Alton Towers have had for quite some time!
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

DannyNewbro wrote:

Air car park
Dark Forest
Coaster corner
Nick building
The Flume site
Dung Heap
Ice Arena
Beastie site

In one of the TT@10 videos it was said how they were working on two new attractions for 2014. Very interesting indeed.

I know what these 2 attractions will be! But I won't be saying too much, don't want my friend to get into trouble. But I can say it's gonna put Towers back into your hearts and it's probably gonna be the biggest year Alton Towers have had for quite some time!
I'm sure that'll involve some sort of magic entertainment. I'd it won't be Alton's biggest year unless there is two coasters in CC. I couldn't really see that happening unless it is it's own area away from CCL to solve the clashing CCL themes. As by 2014, I'm sure Ice Age will still have another year in it.

I'm thinking that in this time period that The Flume will be replaced by a greater water ride if Merlin really want to buff up Alton's world class status. A world class water ride is what Alton is severly lacking, so I think that is a obvious route to go down. I'm going for around 2015 as a medium investment. When the Mutiny Bay theme needs something new.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Sazzle

Good to see you're protecting your sources, DannyNewBro, but please bear in mind your comments may be taken with a pinch of salt unless you can provide credible proof for your claims ;).

Wasn't 'The Dung Heap' part of a double investment year with 'Haunted Hollow'? Y'know, that year when we got a path and... well... a dung heap?! :lol:
haydn!

Sazzle wrote:Wasn't 'The Dung Heap' part of a double investment year with 'Haunted Hollow'? Y'know, that year when we got a path and... well... a dung heap?! :lol:
But how we would longed for a new path last year! Even a new bench, or maybe just a bin would have been nice.  :P
sku11dude123

What do you think will happen?

Will a ride be gone? Will new new rides enter the park will the towers be sold to a different company?

Obvious Fact: Alton's contract with the Dahl's Family will run out in 2016. So Bye, Bye CATCF :D

Discuss Below.....
Sazzle

Topics merged - please check for similar topics before starting new ones :).
DannyNewbro

Stelios7 wrote:
DannyNewbro wrote:

Air car park
Dark Forest
Coaster corner
Nick building
The Flume site
Dung Heap
Ice Arena
Beastie site

I'm sure that'll involve some sort of magic entertainment. I'd it won't be Alton's biggest year unless there is two coasters in CC. I couldn't really see that happening unless it is it's own area away from CCL to solve the clashing CCL themes. As by 2014, I'm sure Ice Age will still have another year in it.

I'm thinking that in this time period that The Flume will be replaced by a greater water ride if Merlin really want to buff up Alton's world class status. A world class water ride is what Alton is severly lacking, so I think that is a obvious route to go down. I'm going for around 2015 as a medium investment. When the Mutiny Bay theme needs something new.
Nothing to do with CCL nor coasters ;-) I love teasing! An area is being re-themed is number 1, not gonna say number 2. I'm not saying too much lol  ;)
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

DannyNewbro wrote:
Stelios7 wrote:
DannyNewbro wrote: I know what these 2 attractions will be! But I won't be saying too much, don't want my friend to get into trouble. But I can say it's gonna put Towers back into your hearts and it's probably gonna be the biggest year Alton Towers have had for quite some time!

Nothing to do with CCL nor coasters ;-) I love teasing! An area is being re-themed is number 1, not gonna say number 2. I'm not saying too much lol  ;)
Storybook and Adnd Adventure Land merge kthxbai. Also Skulldude Towers won't be sold in the near future with Merlin's ambition with backing the MTYDP. Also why would you discuss Charlie leaving elsewhere when YOU made a Charlie future topic. Just face it, it may go most likely or it may not go. You don't have to go prancin about static it in every topic.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
DannyNewbro

Stelios7 wrote:
DannyNewbro wrote:
Stelios7 wrote: I'm sure that'll involve some sort of magic entertainment. I'd it won't be Alton's biggest year unless there is two coasters in CC. I couldn't really see that happening unless it is it's own area away from CCL to solve the clashing CCL themes. As by 2014, I'm sure Ice Age will still have another year in it.

Storybook and Adnd Adventure Land merge kthxbai. Also Skulldude Towers won't be sold in the near future with Merlin's ambition with backing the MTYDP. Also why would you discuss Charlie leaving elsewhere when YOU made a Charlie future topic. Just face it, it may go most likely or it may not go. You don't have to go prancin about static it in every topic.
Is this convo aimed at me??
DannyNewbro

By the way you got the 2014 thing wrong ;-)
Poison Tom 96

No Storybook re-theme then?
DannyNewbro

I'm not saying what area until Towers actually announce something, but the area re-theme isn't the biggest bit of 2014. You'll never guess it but it's going to be very family based! It's something the park has yet to have done. I'm not saying anything else. If you're really desperate to find out ask somebody who works there
scott.smith

This Forum is to share information at least give us a hint rather than it's family based ;)
roary01

All i'm going to say is after 2013 you will be waiting till 2016 for the next BIG ride...