Ug Land: After Rita - Queen Of Speed

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Dean

Please continue here...

Will 2005 be the Corkscrews last season?
Last edited by Dean on Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern_Rider

I hope so, yes the corkscrew may be the landmark ride but Ultimately its the 'Towers' and the 'Gardens' that are the real landmarks.

What would you prefer to do when you visit AT in 06/07? Ride the corkscrew or ride a totally new coaster (possibly wood from what ppl seem to be saying)? I know which i would chose.

Personally id remove cork and dig a shallow pit and stick a couple of top class flat rides in (HUSS Jump 2 and Topple Tower).
MarcB

If they knock down corkscrew they *have* to build a decent ride to replace it...
Bailey

im sure a decent ride would be built in its place! AT arent that stupid
dstone_uk
Location: Ug Basketball, Ug Land, Alton Towers, Staffs, ST10 4DB :D

###save corkscrew###-this ride made alton towers and youhave to have at least 1 old ride

(*)corkscrew rules(*)D

spark

I would like to see them keep Corkscrew, with the technological advances they couls build around it easily
Doopy Dan

What would you prefer to do when you visit AT in 06/07? Ride the corkscrew or ride a totally new coaster (possibly wood from what ppl seem to be saying)? I know which i would chose.

Ild choose Corkscrew
adamflack

I can understand wanting a classic ride to stay but Corkscrew isn't even a good classic. Its 25 years old, its rough, its showing its age very clearly, and there is another one about an hour and a half up the road that is a lot smoother and looks a lot nicer!
Altonator

Perhaps when/if they remove Corkscrew they could take parts of the ride (the loops etc) and make a monument/stature in the new UgLand (theres plenty of space) so the Corkscrew won't be forgotten - it was one of the first major rides to be built so it SHOULD be renemberd.
What do you think?
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
RiK-SRi

I said something along those lines once before. I beleive AT on lease corky and not own it? Is that correct? Judging by the condition of it I don't think it would survive being dismantled and reassembled. Surly AT could then buy the ride at scrap value and use it for theming for say the woodie that I hope we'll one day see! They could have some sort of theme along the lines of the woodie taking over ug land and engulfing the corky.

But me personally... I'd like to see corky get an overhaul, new guide wheels on the trains etc to make it a smoother ride. It is part of AT's history, but if they aren't going to maintain it and make it a more enjoyable ride they may as well get rid.
bigblade40

the corkscrew should stay. All it needs is a re-furb. (new cars, lick of paint etc)
bigblade40
Uncle_Adolph

They should get that re-furb company (forgot their name) to re-do corky, like smooth out the track new trains, new scenery. PAINT IT!

Or they could get vekoma to dismatle corky. Make a model exactly the same, but smoother.

-Ben
spinwhizzer

But then there is no point in keeping it, there are loads of the same model (to be honest they arnt that much smoother)
Phil

[quote=""spinwhizzer""]But then there is no point in keeping it, there are loads of the same model (to be honest they arnt that much smoother)[/quote]

I'm sure AT want to keep it, until it can stand up no-longer! But it's old. The newer re-place the old, it's fact of life!!
Adz
Admin
Admin

Due to rising levels of people bothering me on MSN i have decided that from now i shall not release anymore information (plans or otherwise) across the internet. it is with regret that i have reached this situation but i just want to go back to being a normal member that does not know anything. i did not want to be considered above anyone else at all despite what you think. Its been fun but all good things must come to an end. i will now leave you to get all your information a few weeks late from Adam Flack and the rideas group. Don't bother me in the future and you wont get shot in the foot. I now return to the normal me. no one try to change my mind. i will continue to speculate with people on MSN and on the forum but as from now i shall not be giving out anymore information.
cactuselves

Its been fun but all good things must come to an end. i will now leave you to get all your information a few weeks late from Adam Flack and the rideas group
With all due respect Adam_, Adam Flack was the first person to tell us about Jazzland and the Gloomy wood coaster... So I think that its a little unfair that you insinuate that he will give us information "late". Other than that, its your choice if you feel that you do not wish to part with any more clues ! I suppose we will all see the plans soon anyway as park staff have been told that they will be made available!

I think that corkies days are numbered, incedentally..
Adz
Admin
Admin

With all due respect Adam_, Adam Flack was the first person to tell us about Jazzland and the Gloomy wood coaster... So I think that its a little unfair that you insinuate that he will give us information "late".
i know that, i mean the more recent stuff.

Anyway. Moving Swiftly on...
cactuselves

i know that, i mean the more recent stuff.
oops! sorry.

'swiftly moves on'
Phil

Any staff on tomorrow are welcome to check for plans! Perhaps steal them?! Or taking a photo is more appropiate? Nah.. steal away!!!
Squiggles

Personally I don't think the Corkie will tootle off at the end of next season, from what we've been told so far the 2006 ride is supposed to be going at the far side of Ug Land, where the Ug Swingers were. (and beyond)

[quote=""RiK-SRi""]I said something along those lines once before. I beleive AT on lease corky and not own it? Is that correct? Judging by the condition of it I don't think it would survive being dismantled and reassembled. Surly AT could then buy the ride at scrap value and use it for theming for say the woodie that I hope we'll one day see! They could have some sort of theme along the lines of the woodie taking over ug land and engulfing the corky.

But me personally... I'd like to see corky get an overhaul, new guide wheels on the trains etc to make it a smoother ride. It is part of AT's history, but if they aren't going to maintain it and make it a more enjoyable ride they may as well get rid.[/quote]

No... AT own it outright. (why would they lease a ride for 25 years? it'd be much cheaper just to buy it) I believe the only coaster AT ever leased was the Mouse.

You'd have to hope it could withstand being dismantled and moved (afterall that's what it's designed for), otherwise how on earth is it manging to be run everyday of the season without collapsing?

I think it's the wheels which are supposed to cause roughness on Vekoma coasters, replace them and they suddenly become very smooth. (or at least that's what i heard).
Edwardo..... move me!