Indoor rollercoaster needed for alton towers.

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Blizzard

Nightfall wrote: What is the point of a huge indoor ride in Forbidden Valley when that's one of the best spots for a proper outdoor coaster?

I would also say Coaster Corner. The building would negate the noise issues and it's already a family area.
Although Nightfall, you do make a point about their being more space in the air car park for a coaster, imagine how difficult it would be to make it look like not a car park. pluss, as chris says, 3 coasters in one area would clutter it, & bring major theming clashes as the air carpark (hence the name) is viewed from the air queue line.

An indoor coaster, solves this issue by being more unique & different to the other rides on offer in forbidden valley, and due to the popularity of indoor coasters in general, it would give guests another reason to walk to that end of the park.

:)

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.
Boz

i think that, although the idea seems to be a bit far fetched due to the work needed to convert it from a car park and of course it does seem like it could become cluttered. however the 10 year plan DID mark that location as a possible coaster location as well as the conversion of both main car parks, so it's not to be ruled out as a possibility for SW8
seanyboyuk

Indeed the park does need a new indoor coaster and certainly a new area consisting of a couple of flats too.
cookiee_munster

an indoor coaster is indeed needed for the park. there's a lack of dark rides altogether at the towers and what with it wanting to cater for families it really needs to pick up the pace and work on installing dark rides and indoor attractions. I agree with folk on here who have suggested coaster corner. what with where its situated anything thats too noisy is ruled out, therefore if it is to be noisy but contained then why the hell not?

I'd love to see an entire enclosed land similar to the mermaid area at Tokyo Disney Sea, but that's far too ambitious. not to mention expensive.

On a side note and slightly derailing the topic (forgive me) what's to stop designers from integrating the carpark landscaping into the theme for a possible coaster that may go there in the future? the park is a fan of post apocalyptic, i for one wouldn't mind a coaster looking like its broken through the earth/concrete scattering cars all over the place etc etc. just as long as its not a huge barren grey area...
pluk

Agreed there really should be an indoor coaster at a park the size of Alton. Black Hole was always massively popular for a reason and that reason was not that it was an inherently great coaster, most things are better in the dark and can be amazing if effects are used.

But I don't think coaster corner is likely for one reason - trees. They can't build outdoor rides that could avoid trees due to noise, they can't slack a big building across it as that would be unable to avoid the trees. Dead land really.
Total Unique Ridecount
CoasterCrazyChris

pluk wrote: They can't build outdoor rides that could avoid trees due to noise, they can't slack a big building across it as that would be unable to avoid the trees. Dead land really.
I wouldn't say so.

The area is quite sizeable actually - especially when you consider it has held two compact rollercoasters in the past which were both pretty long rides. Plus a kiddie coaster as well. Even with these three rides in was still spacious.

See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAWbV1z5qUc

Of course they had to go due to noise issues - but the Alton Mouse and The Beast were very standard fairground roller coasters even for 1980s standards. A high quality modern roller coaster would not be plagued with anywhere near the same issues.

sku11dude123

This seems like a GREAT idea.

Maybe coaster corner could be renamed to "Star Wars Land" and the Ride could be a dark ride coaster/boat/car
around star wars. Not ripping off star tours, maybe a Tour inside Vader's death star and as a surprise you need to fly through the Death Star as quickly as possible before it blows up. (This ride could be a different perspective from Stars wars Episode VI when the rebels are pushing an assault on the Death Star)
sibic

a tame Family Launch Coaster from intamin in a dark ride around peter pan would be interesting would have to be done well to get ip some kind of ride like the mummy at universal it could be a family ride that was not to scary for younger rides.  http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amuseme ... fault.aspx

2. Suspended Powered Coaster  but very tame as a kiddy coaster maybe a butter fly or bee flying though a garden all nice well planted and looks nice and fun but will not scary peopel.  http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/c ... index.html
Last edited by sibic on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoasterCrazyChris

If i'm honest I would like to see a new water ride in coaster corner.
pluk

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
pluk wrote: They can't build outdoor rides that could avoid trees due to noise, they can't slack a big building across it as that would be unable to avoid the trees. Dead land really.
I wouldn't say so.

The area is quite sizeable actually - especially when you consider it has held two compact rollercoasters in the past which were both pretty long rides. Plus a kiddie coaster as well. Even with these three rides in was still spacious.

See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAWbV1z5qUc

Of course they had to go due to noise issues - but the Alton Mouse and The Beast were very standard fairground roller coasters even for 1980s standards. A high quality modern roller coaster would not be plagued with anywhere near the same issues.

But looking at that vid - the rides are surrounded by trees! Not to mention the great big (listed?) pile of stones in the middle. The rides snugly fit and work around them, a building can't do that and can't even have large trees very close by if it is going to last a decent amount of time before roots destroy the foundations. Those rides are also temporary sit on the ground types - no foundations/footers etc.

The planners are hugely unlikely to allow the large scale tree removal that would be required for any decent size building, or anything that comes close that tower.

I would love to be proven wrong - that area would be wonderful used as massive indoor attraction/s, which in rainy Alton are desperately needed. But I can't see any potential for development there ever.
Total Unique Ridecount
sibic

coaster corner if you could remove the trees in the middle then you could use the area for some nice rides and add access to that nice stone tower it would need a little demo and some of the trees in the middle would need to go to open up the site. hope that the change in planing law will help this under used area to be reused fully.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the black bits are trees that would have to go to get the best use of the site.
Red might have to go depends if you can put a path here with out cutting down trees.
building that need to be moved and demolished to make space for rides.
Pennywise

In my eyes, as Blaze implies, Alton Towers is in need of both a starter coaster and an indoor coaster; not desperately, but ideally. Where my opinion differs from his is in that I think that they should definitely be separate attractions. I've seen little-to-few examples of indoor kids coasters, and I'm not convinced that they work, nor are they worth the expense which goes into them. Sure, Alton Towers can stick a Mack YoungStar or a Troublesome Trucks clone somewhere on park; Beastie site, Dungheap site, Coaster Corner, Boneshaker / UG Swinger site, there are certainly options, but that's an entirely separate debate. Much in the same vain as that Alton Towers is in need of more filler 'flat' rides.

As for the indoor rollercoaster, well, ideally it should be well themed and a family-thrill attraction. Although, I admit, I'm rather easy to please, I'd be delighted with something of Raptor Attack standard, even if it's worthless in terms of track and train, because you can't go wrong with an 'experience' coaster, something which I feel that Alton Towers has lacked since the removal of the Black Hole. Ideally, for me, the ride type would be that of Eurosat, but Sonic Spinball prevents this from being a plausible idea as far as park management are concerned, so I would hopefully suggest a Gerstulaer Bobsled. You never know, it might already be in the works, with Alton Towers getting a deal on an indoor Bobsled & SW7 from Gertsulaer... wishful thinking, I know.

Now, although I've never ridden a ride of this type (to my knowledge), it hardly takes a genius to see that Van Helsing's Factory is a work of sheer genius, one which I'm eager to ride. If Alton Towers could pull off a similar standard of layout, combined with the high quality theming which seems to be becoming more likely, looking at 'Raptor' and 'The Swarm', along with the high quality surroundings planned for SW7, then they could quickly be on to a winner.

With regards to location, I'd be reluctant to say the Air car park as many others here already have, but I'm honestly struggling for other potential locations for such a large scale dark coaster, unless Duel or Charlie & The Chocolate Factory (neither of which would be exceptional losses to the park line-up) were to be removed, so I've been caught out there. Indeed, I find the Black Hole tent site to have been realistic for such a project, but that has now been taken, for the greater good it could be argued.

In short, yes, I agree that Alton Towers need an indoor coaster in order to compete with the likes of Disney and Europa Park, but they're still a long way off of that target. Then again, it would make a dramatic difference to the quality of the park's winter line-up if an indoor coaster could be opened, too, so it would be of obvious benefit to the park in that respect.

tonyspurs81

Something like the Mummy ride at Universal would be perfect. Dark ride and coaster in one.
Themeparksandy1981

tonyspurs81 wrote: Something like the Mummy ride at Universal would be perfect. Dark ride and coaster in one.
I know I get a lot of hated comments about this but what about the duel building? There gonna come a time the attraction will need to be replaced so why not with a indoor family coaster. It could be a powered coaster and it could go though scenes of the haunted house on broomsticks.
sibic

a true goast house indoor coaster  a complete rebuild maybe get advice from john w as he built the first hunted house
Dean P

I'm adding my voice for the much needed indoor coaster. Alton Towers needs one and is a key element missing from their line up. For far too many years. I'm willing to grab the bull by the horns.

So I'm sending my nuts! Literally peanuts, because they must be nuts not to have an indoor coaster.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/FunMoney ... 4xsjtVWQcs - Just like Jericho public voice can sway the powers that be.
Last edited by Dean P on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathmos

Stelios7 wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Coaster corner?

Why is it always written off as a possibility?
Coaster Corner would be perfect, as a enclosed coaster would be free of next to none noise. This could happen before the end of the 10 year plan, as it was highlighted as a area to develop. Air Car Park can have a outdoor coaster.
Coaster corner would be the perfect location for a large thrill indoor coaster.
That area suffered with noise issues in the past being so close to Alton village,it would perfect for a 'soundproofed' enclosed coaster, it is a big chunk of land waiting for the right ride and this would be it! 8)
MattsDesigns

Good call! This is exactly what is needed.

This is my space themed dark ride, it would also make a good indoor coaster if anyone at Merlin wants some ideas (wishful thinking maybe) http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
RyanY

I don't think that Alton Towers need one or that they will get one, as Merlin like to make big spectacles of their roller coasters (apart from Th13teen) and an indoor roller coaster isn't something you can enjoy watching when not riding. Like John Wardley said "People not riding should be able to enjoy it as much as people who are riding" and you cannot enjoy watching a building.

Maybe I'm being harsh on indoor coasters as the only one I've been on is X/.No Way Out. Although Roller Coaster with a indoor and a outdoor sections are nice, like Saw.
BigAl

ryanyoxall wrote: Maybe I'm being harsh on indoor coasters as the only one I've been on is X/.No Way Out. Although Roller Coaster with a indoor and a outdoor sections are nice, like Saw.
You can't really judge all dark coasters based on X:\ No Way Out. :P